Grand Canyon in the winter

Has anyone here been down it in the winter? I have the opportunity to go on a trip with a few friends, and while it seems like something I would not regret doing, I'd like to figure out what I'm getting myself into. I've tried searching around for info on trips in december and january, but can't seem to find much.

I have never been but know several people who have done it in January/December. They said it was cold, but no one regretted going. I think one of the quotes was "I've been that cold before many times, but I've never been that cold for that long"

Here is a blog from a kayak self support trip in january

http://shanesliquidlogic.blogspot.co...-things-i.html
    http://cksblog.com/2010/01/grand-can...-by-ted-keyes/

I have been back packing twice in February. The cold can reach all the way down to the river at night, but it is reasonable during the day. Was on a wait list for a while a long time ago and never went. You can not pass this trip up. IMHO a top 25 bucket list trip.

i would think the short days [which equals short hikes] and scrounging wood daily for fires plus basically living in your drysuit would kind of be a pain, but it sure wouldn't be crowded.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Its basically dry-suit mandatory that time of year, between the cold water, shade, and the short days. But you can take your time during the winter (30 days to Diamond I believe?), which would be amazing. I know friends were down there for Christmas/New Years and had a blast. Get a drysuit and send it!!!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I can't imagine it would suck, just got to be prepared.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Have a couple of friends who did a trip this past winter (Feb., I think). They said there was one week it didn't get over 16, and one day it didn't get over 6. Wacky cold snap, but it can happen. They froze their assess off and had trouble keeping their hands from clubbing up on the oars. They still had a blast though.

I've had friends do winter trips ad like others have said it can get cold for long stretches. You also can take your time 21-30 days seems to be the norm for winter trips, layover days and lots of side hikes. You will probably carry less beer as well so the boats will be lighter.

One other advantage is there will be next to no commercial traffic on the river that time of year, there used to be a nonmotorized period in December-January but don't know if that is still the case.

I have been visited grand canyon last year in winter with my friends. I think it is an ideal time to go there because this region is less crowded during winter months. We can also explore the beautiful views of snow fall in winter.

I agree. Grand Canyon is a great place to visit during winters. Its an absolutely ethereal experience.

Karen:

You pulled up a thread from over a year ago. You obviously didn't read the posting rules on this forum.

You need to actually post a pic of yourself so that it's legit and then you can get full posting privileges.

Why did you do that by the way?

But, them'z the rulz.

You get one warning, then you will be banned.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague