8 20.51%
  • systemoverblow'd

10 25.64%
  • Lonnie

15 38.46%
  • skiingislife

3 7.69%

Voting - MPC #109 - Structure - ends 8/29

Phew, narrowed it down to 5. I culled the herd down to 15, then scored them on a scale of 1-5 in three categories (how well it met the theme, artistry/style and technical merit), added them all up, and then went back and made sure the top 5 were photos I actually liked (they were). In the end, I had to leave behind some really good photos and many great interpretations of the theme. Voting ends the 29th.

1. Edgnar:

2. outabounds:

3. systemoverblow'd:

4. Lonnie:

5. skiingislife:
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

system, as soon as i saw that i thought i recognized the windows. is that watergate?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    system, as soon as i saw that i thought i recognized the windows. is that watergate?
    It's one of the new buildings of the Vertex Pharmaceuticals campus on Fan Pier in the Seaport District, South Boston.

The one on the right in this rendering.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Whoa, close race!
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

It was, until all of Lonnie's friends joined TGR to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It was, until all of Lonnie's friends joined TGR to vote.

Lol. Ironically, I was just checking in to see how far behind I was. And I'm not sure that I even have 12 friends!!!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

At this point you only need 11, assuming you voted for yourself...
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    At this point you only need 11, assuming you voted for yourself...
    To quote Chris Rock, "I didn't have 6 friends in high school. I don't have 6 friends now!" lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ilqOveh2s#t=56

This was a particularly strong group of finalists. I really liked Lonnie's subject and can be a sucker for macro. So I admit I voted for him.

I refuse to vote in any I become a finalist in personally. Not that one vote would have mattered

Congrats Lonnie!
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Congrats Lonnie, I really liked the macro shots, especially the strawberry one. Or what I think was a strawberry?

I really liked outtabound's shot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Congrats Lonnie, I really liked the macro shots, especially the strawberry one. Or what I think was a strawberry?

I really liked outtabound's shot too.
    Yeah, it was a strawberry. Good call. The shot that one was the bottomside of a zucchini leaf out of my garden. Honestly I was surprised I won. Normally the mags don't like "out of context" images like this. My initial thought in going macro was I had a couple of insect shots (like the dragon fly wing), but they didn't come out like I wanted so I started to experiment. I had a two flash setup shooting directly on the subject (1/4 to 1/16 power) or reflected off a couple of umbrellas (100% power on the flashes).

For the shot that won. I ended up putting the leaf of top of the flash umbrella and shooting thru that and illuminating the light from underneath (full strength on the flash). I shot all of these using a 25 year old minolta 50mm f/1.7 and a couple of extension tubes. That why, even at F/22 the DOF is so narrow. The curvature of the umbrella didn't help that either. In post, I tweaked the exposure a bit, pushed the contrast really, really hard and applied a good deal of clarity and sharpness. That's the good thing of not having anything else in the frame, I could take some liberties in post processing that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Thanks again everyone, I enjoyed everyone's photos and learned alot (I NEVER, EVER shoot macro).

Congrats, Lonnie!

Meant to check this last night or this morning but I'm traveling for work this week and things are getting out of hand.

Lonnie: when you say extension tube, do you mean a teleconverter?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Lonnie: when you say extension tube, do you mean a teleconverter?
    Nope. Some thing like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=macr...+tube&tbm=shop

Basically, they're just "hollow" tubes that move the focus point of the lens away from infinity to a MUCH closer distance. Allows you to focus at up to an inch or so away, giving a "magnification" effect.