Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beginner lift skiing on Dynafit bindings

I am a big fan of Dynafit bindings. I think I understand their limitations. But I have no clue how a 1st year beginner would fair with them.

I think the lwt AT boots are easier to walk and may be even ski in with an upright stance. Enough so, that they might be better than most alpine boots in many ways.

Is the "marginal" safety and on and off hassles of clipping in the AT bindings for a real beginner worth the extra effort of starting on AT boots and bindings? Much of her time will be in ski school classes. Or would you suggest a down hill boot and bindings?

The goal here is to get my wife back on skis, safely and in the best gear possible for her to learn quickly and have the most amount of fun while doing so.

Anyone here started as a beginner at a ski area on AT gear?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Why? You can buy used alpine gear for dirt cheap; save the wear and tear on the bindings, easier to step in/step out, better release.

Also runs the danger of attaching an unnecessary, and possibly self defeating, level of expectation to her newbiness?

Get her some serviceable alpine gear to learn on until you hear the words, "I'd really like to try this ski touring stuff you do".
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hi Dane,
    As you know I ski on dyanfits exclusively for both resort and BC but I wouldn't recommend it for the wife.
    Like you I've been trying to get my wife more into the sport so I have some experience with your situation.
    My 2 cents.
    1. They are too finicky for a beginner. My wife at times has trouble getting into her Alpine bindings.
    2. They don't release the same...my wife has a lot of falls especially when trying to get her to ski off the groomers.
    3. She spent most of the time at the start on groomers, mostly hard groomers and the hard ride from dynafits would not be appreciated.

That being said, she is now getting more experienced and doing a little touring. She has Barons on her touring skis because it was mostly short side country hits.... She still need help transitioning between touring /ski mode...Barons especially hard for this. I'm now getting her a pair of AT boots since she is ready to go further afield and we are still discussing wehter to get dynafit or fritshi bindings on her new Yvettes.

So I guess my answer is yes on the AT boots( dynafit compatible for the future ) but no on dynafits to begin with but you should consider Fristchi or BArons, then upgrade to dynafits when the skill level has advanced.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

I fingered Thanks everyone.

Wish the One or TLT would ski a typical Salomon binding. That is obvioulsy asking for too much.

2nd gen+ Marker F10s sound like the ticket, and would accept any boot she likes (now and in the future). No reason to drag around the extra weight of Barons.

If you don't like blowies. At all. Put her in Dynafits ASAP.

Another possible issue is the minimum release setting of 5 on Dynafits (at least on my ones). That might not be low enough for a lightweight beginner.

Is this the first TGR post about binding release settings not going low enough?

Pretty sure Plum has a model with light springs for kids & featherweights.

Don't let her ski tech for lifts and don't take her touring on heavy gear either. Took my wife on a longish tour with Factors last season. Big mistake.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

I think a newbie has no idea how a good fitting boot is even suposed to feel

also there is the step-in convenience & better release safety of an alpine setup

Dynafit is an expensive commitment when you don't know if touring is even in the cards SO get the cheap alpine setup and learn to ski down hill

then if she wants to tour go right to dynafit OR at a minimum dynafit compatible AT boots

you won't lose much $ buying decent used touring stuff like some ski/with skins/FR+ if she opts out at any point
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Maybe it's because I'm broke but this all seems like a stupid question. It's like getting a Yeti just in case she likes mountain biking or a Les Paul in case she might like the guitar.

Nice gear is an earned benefit that you cherish because you've grown in the sport and can appreciate the joy of ultimate performance. If you start with the best you'll NEVER appreciate it. (And you'll never ritualistically shower with it but I digress)

Best way to do it is rear entry boots and short parabolics. Cheap, comfy, easy to learn in. Show her a good time, don't push too hard, nice dinner and wine after. You'll also be SO much more laid back knowing if she hates it your not out $2k

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    If you don't like blowies. At all. Put her in Dynafits ASAP.
    Seriously. Dane the fiddling alone- the in & out of those toes and heels man... Jesus she is going to fkn kill you, and that's if she doesn't blow her acl on a random object. One ligament tear and you can kiss oral and couples skiing goodbye for life haha
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I thought this would be a Dynafit technical thread but it sounds like "How to go from Zero to BC ski snow cave sleeping partner while staying married" thing for the Padded Room. I Scotsman had it right. Speaking as a beginner/re-learner, on Dynafits and married.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    My Dynafit TLT 5 Performance boots fit into - and more importantly release from - Tyrolia bindings.

Agree 100% with using AT boots for the comfort, lightness, and upright stance.

Got my young lady started skiing 2 seasons ago (at age 40) in entry level Head boots.

90 flex, lightweight, built for comfort not speed. Been perfect for her. Could be the go for your missus.

Likely not recommended butttt..
    which Tyrolia?

"My Dynafit TLT 5 Performance boots fit into - and more importantly release from - Tyrolia bindings."

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Sorry no idea. Those skis are in Japan and I'm in Wales.

Tyrolia rental binding on Head i Supershape Magnum.

Jamming an AT boot into an alpine binding might kind of work but is far from ideal for a probably falling frequently beginner. Also perhaps an even bigger problem for low din? - paging the DINnerds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I see people jamming AT boots into alpine bindings just to get around for work like coaches & course workers but not for real skiing and I wouldn't

I agree with Hugh, both my last pair of AT boots were fucking expensive compared to my alpine boots like 40% more
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Dynafit Zzero boots come with both tech and DIN soles. Light, great walk mode and really almost as stiff as a downhill boot.

Evo.com has large F10's with free shipping for $175 and change if you use the code Laborday before 9/3. Work with both tech and DIN boots. These are 2nd gen bindings with the reinforced pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Dynafit Zzero boots come with both tech and DIN soles.
    Not the Zzero boots, but the Titans (Gaias for Dane's wife) do come with both sets of soles in the box. Depending on how much she weighs, you could wait a couple weeks and get the Marker Lord SP which will handle the One fine, but the minimum DIN is 5.

Edit to add: Looks like the Lord SP is already for sale

Bought Scarpa Freedoms.

For thoise suggesting Zzeros? Which I have...neither AT or DH boot imo. They ski well but I wouldn't wish them on a beginner I liked

"Nice gear is an earned benefit that you cherish because ......"

You should have heard the retort out of her mouth on this one! Trust me it wouldn't be repeated in the Convent.

"Earned?" I think she said, "because I can freakin pay for it!" is close enough Red heads can be so hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Red heads can be so hot!
    We have a thing about redheads here at TGR.....pictures or it didn't happen!
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    "Nice gear is an earned benefit that you cherish because ......"

You should have heard the retort out of her mouth on this one! Trust me it wouldn't be repeated in the Convent.

"Earned?" I think she said, "because I can freakin pay for it!" is close enough Red heads can be so hot!
    Well, that'll happen.

Redheads don't grace us much in the BC. Maybe the fire will put her out to prove a thing or two.

Thanks for throwing me in the mix with the missus. Tell her I look forward to her smokin me up the skin track!