Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

40mm Carbon rims...kinda interesting

Not ready to be an early adaptor for this dudes first products, but this should be worth watching develop.
    http://www.derbyrims.com/wide-rims.html
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Been watching that thread, along with the Chinese carbon rims thread (mostly concerning the rims from light-bicycle.com), with interest. If I can save up enough coin to spring for a nice new bike, I'm gonna have to go with the low-end parts kit, and the wheels seem to be the weakest link for most of those. Getting into a stiff carbon wheelset for around $500 seems like a no-brainer if they're good, and the consensus on the LB rims seems to be that they're good (or good enough, at least).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I've been watching the LB rim reviews and now seen this. Not sure if its worth the coin for the extra 10mm.

It would be really smart for an established wheel builder to buy a large quantity of Chinese carbon rims at a discount, lace them to hopes and sell them on MTBR.

Also, when will we see Chinese carbon fat bikes and fat rims?

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Also, when will we see Chinese carbon fat bikes and fat rims?

I've heard rumors of a carbon Specialized fat bike...

Yea. Salsa already has one on the market. But when do we see the knockoffs?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    It would be really smart for an established wheel builder to buy a large quantity of Chinese carbon rims at a discount, lace them to hopes and sell them on TGR.
    FIFY. Let me know when I can send my deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    FIFY. Let me know when I can send my deposit.
    Let's hope it's Wendy. He'll only mark them up 6000%. Because he's a good businessman, and it's Just Business when you're ripping off others.

initial reaction is... too wide. They're about the same dimensions as an old S/R doublewide. I thought the doublewides were kinda stupid 15 years ago, and I'm not sure making a doublewide out of carbon makes it significantly less stupid.

these wide rims will square off a tire, increasing traction when the bike is upright. But how does this help traction when the bike is leaned over? & how does it make pinch flats less likely? Or am I missing something?
    I remember moto friends getting narrower rims because they wanted the tire profile rounder.

"derby" has been an Internet Bike Expert longer than kidwoo and flowtron's ghost combined.

if "derby" alleges something, it must be true. after all, he says on the internet that he knows what he's saying, and he's been saying that for a long, long time. he's one of the original e-riding know-it-alls from the early days of MTBR.

he might even be smarter than Guitar Ted.

or Brian Mullin.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Let's hope it's Wendy. He'll only mark them up 6000%. Because he's a good businessman, and it's Just Business when you're ripping off others.
    Ironically, I almost always gave away the farm at the shop. I always had the lowest marked prices anywhere in the area. You are getting desperate with your scorn.
    Don't you have some food stamps to clip?

Wendy, nothing says Trustafarian louder and clearer than arguing that once, back in the day, you "gave away" something at 150% markup rather than your usual 6000% markup.

Keep up the good pose, bro. How is that batik breeches business coming along? Did you get your $500k Kickstarter funding yet? Wouldn't want to dip into the trust fund now, would we?

Bet your daddy's trusts & estates lawyer LOVES your ass.

Wait. Did you say I was "getting desperate with my scorn"?

Maybe you need to remember your Glory Days on f88me, little girl. Or maybe you should call woo in here to tell me, for the 123rd time, that I'm an "internet psycho" -- which is, basically, your schtick from those same Glory Days I just mentioned.

That's a little OOPSIE there for ya, Wendy. Now tuck your tail between your legs, and run on back home to Mrs Wendy. I'm just doing what was so cool and honest for you to do back in your Glory Days, sister soul-jah. Lively up yo-sef!

Uh....Hunh?
    I'm the same psycho on here as I was on MTBR or F88! Unlike you, though, I was always a real person, doing fun and interesting things, and meeting and riding with basically everyone, everywhere....unlike you, hiding in your hovel, and keyboard warrioring. You aren't even real!

Oh, I gotta go, apparently there are dividends in my mailbox....

Keep making up shit about me, Wendy.

It is great cover for Mrs Wendy's performance on her flight back East recently:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rnr/4024666463.html

Oh, and in case you begin taking this too seriously, as you often have in the past -- leading to many misunderstandings, both big and small -- I give you this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laughing-man-sculpture-vancouver-canada-john-mitchell.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	140570

See. I'm not real. I'm made of bronze, and located in Vancouver.

Is it a full moon or something? What's with every thread in SR devolving into petty internet battles today? Can we get back to wasting time talking about carbon rims already?

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Keep making up shit about me, Wendy.

It is great cover for Mrs Wendy's performance on her flight back East recently:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rnr/4024666463.html

Haha, I just posted this on Ridemonkey. That's got way more of a Missoula vibe to it than a Jackson vibe...us .001 percenters don't fly commercial, silly!

I think they look pretty cool, never tried a rim that wide tough. Will have to see how it works out for everyone.

I'm pretty wary of carbon rims in general but these look burly. Seen a broken Easton this summer and about five broken Light Bikes, those things are garbage IMO, buyer beware. Never seen a broken Enve FWIW but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and those are forever out of my price range anyway. I don't think I could bring myself to ride them even if I won them.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Seen a broken Easton this summer and about five broken Light Bikes, those things are garbage IMO, buyer beware.
    Srsly? No one on MTBR seems to be reporting widespread failures of the LB rims. Where are you seeing this, what kind of circumstances (downhill or AM? races?) and what kind of damage (chips, cracks, full blown epic failure)? I was pretty seriously looking into them, but if they're really failing consistently then I'd obviously reconsider.

Cliche I know, but I guess you could say 'aggressive all mountain' riding. To be fair, these are racers, Super-D and Enduro. Definitely some DH runs on some of them, but all on trail bikes. Fast guys riding hard.

The LB rims were mostly crushed sidewalls, didn't see a rim in pieces, but definitely unusable. One or two had a crack that went across but not all the way. Yet.

The Easton still held air but had a crack going almost all the way across. It was found when changing the tire. Lucky? Also saw an Easton finish a whole DH course with no air in the tire and come out OK. This was the all mountain rim, Haven??? Go figure.

I crunched an Enve AM this summer, and i think i know of at least one other on a 29er trail bike. I'm pretty sure mine happened in Glenwild, not gnar, just a freak pointy rock at the right(or wrong) speed and angle. I dumped a few coatings of epoxy on it to get through some race weekends, but recently gave it up.

I honestly think I'd hesitate to recommend carbon wheels to someone for a 26" bike at this point, possibly too stiff and not enough weight/performance benefit compared to alloy offerings, considering the price. A little flex and compliance is a good thing. The Syndicate has started running lower tensions to get some more grip. They make much more of a difference on 29ers. Not sure about 27.5 tho, heh.

I'd give these wide carbon rims a few years. Interesting idea, but these first few batches are some serious early adopter action.

Yeah I could see that on the 29er thing for sure. Also have been hearing and talking a lot about tuning spoke tension and some wheels being too stiff.

That's why I'm sticking with my OG Flows. Nah, it's cause they're cheap and they work.

Those are excellent reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    The Syndicate has started running lower tensions to get some more grip. They make much more of a difference on 29ers. Not sure about 27.5 tho, heh.
    650b wheels use tension right in-between a 26 and a 29. its the perfect amount of tension, really.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I love the feel of my Ti bike, and hate the pingy feel of carbon frames. I wonder what the "feel" of the carbon wheels would be compaired to a traditional rim? (same rubber, same PSI, etc)