Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to do with cell phone plan?

should read " where to go with cell phone plan" or "what to do"
    Here's where I am at. I'm a long time verzion customer who is still on unlimited data. I have 450 minutes a month, and unlimited texting.

I'd say at most I use 300-350 minutes, but usaully not even close to that.

I do lots of texting so unlimited is important.

I crank on my data pretty well using anywhere from 2-10 a month, but most usually 3-4 gb.

The contract on my iphone (my main line) is up 10/24/13. At which point I can walk away from verizon without any penalties. Conversely, If I want to stay with Verizon I'm up for a phone upgrade right now.
    The only other thing holding me to verizon is a second line, 9.99 a month, for which I just got so I could use the phone upgrade, it's not even active. that contract runs out in february. But I coud step away from my iphone plan and just run out the 9.99 a month until february while using another carrier for my main phone.

The question is where to turn? what company. verzion has cunted things up with this family share bs, im just a single adult. What I need: unlimited texting, as few minutes as possible and as much data for as cheap as possible.

Right now, including the unlimited data and messaging, the 450 minutes, and carrying that extra line, im at 129.00 a month. it seems like any new verizon plan that is even ball park in my range of data usage will be at least that if not more and won't be unlimited. plus they force you into 700 minutes a month, which ill never ever use. and this bs 30.00 smart phone fee.

so what's the solution. buy unsubsidized and keep plan as is. switch company?

any body have luck with walmart's new shiznit?

id really like to get in the 80-90 all in a month, with a smartphone with solid data amount... and be able to get a subsidized phone

fuck these companies ditching unlimited data.
    Last edited by volklpowdermaniac; 08-19-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Holy crap! I pay $85/month (before 21% company discount) on Att for 450 with rollover, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited data and 1500 texts. I could get unlimited texts for $5 more but why bother when I don't go over them.

I guess paying through the nose for the first iphone and getting locked into unlimited data has paid off well by now.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I was about to laugh at Tippsters post but he deleted it.

Yeah - saw that you need to buy a phone at full fare first. Fuck that.

I wasn't even laughing at that. I was laughing at the coverage map. I guess it could be ok if you never go anywhere though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 1.25.08 PM.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	140370  

We're in a similar situation and, at least for the mean time, we've decided to just stay with Verizon without taking any subsidized upgrades for phones. That way we can just run month to month until such time as we see fit to leave. Most likely cause of that will be when they pull my unlimited data. But my initial research has lead me to believe that there really isn't a better solution out there right now. All the companies and plans seem to have compromises that lead to inadequate service or higher prices.

@system: You must be grandfathered in on unlimited data too. ATT doesn't even offer it to new accounts anymore, right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    We're in a similar situation and, at least for the mean time, we've decided to just stay with Verizon without taking any subsidized upgrades for phones. That way we can just run month to month until such time as we see fit to leave. Most likely cause of that will be when they pull my unlimited data. But my initial research has lead me to believe that there really isn't a better solution out there right now. All the companies and plans seem to have compromises that lead to inadequate service or higher prices.

Similar here too, Family share w/ Government employee discount and 4 lines. I was the 1st to get the data package, on grandfathered unlimited. My sister pays the same for 2 gigs on here iphone. Fingers crossed then when My parent's pick up a smartphone it doesn't fuck up the entire plan.
    Last edited by krp8128; 08-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

i feel like i missed a good joke. but anyways im in scummit county. service and bars wise verizon has always been serviceable if not spectacular. don't know how other companies fair.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    @system: You must be grandfathered in on unlimited data too. ATT doesn't even offer it to new accounts anymore, right?
    Just checked and I guess you can't. Looks like 3GB for what I pay for unlimited is most you can go. Weaksauce. I knew they were throttling back but I assumed you could still pay a fortune for unlimited. That was my main point when I switch from iOS to Android I had to make sure I was keeping my unlimited and I was. For me, going with any other carrier would be dumb.

It's way worth it to get an unsubsidized phone to keep VZW unlimited. Don't give that shit up until they pry it from our cold dead hands! Fuck the iphone. Get an android and use it as a 4G hotspot. Cancel your home internet. Use google voice for all your texting so you don't need unlimited.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Get an android and use it as a 4G hotspot.

Is that still possible under the unlimited plan?
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Sure, I have unlimited with Verizon and it works perfect as a hotspot if the coverage is good.

I'm in the same boat with the unlimited as you guys, don't want to change carriers and lose it either.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Sure, I have unlimited with Verizon and it works perfect as a hotspot if the coverage is good.

I'm in the same boat with the unlimited as you guys, don't want to change carriers and lose it either.

Details? Seems like every time I try it gets blocked, as verizon wants us to pay. I have an unrooted Thunderbolt.

I pay over $50/month for TW internet, would love to dump that bill....

It's been a while since I tried it, maybe they changed it? Not sure. I have terrible reception where I am right now, even 3G is iffy at best, so I know it won't work here. I'll be home in a few days and see what I can figure out if I remember.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Is that still possible under the unlimited plan?
    Seems to work pretty well for me. I use tethering widget by hi develop from the play store. I have root now, but it worked when I didn't. I also don't pay the $20 a month extra they try to scam us for using additional data after they sold us unlimited plans. I think they lost a court case regarding this IIRC.

Funny how we're all in the same boat. I wanna shove a stick up Verizon's collective ass every time I pay my $160 bill.

This is why I still haven't bought a smartphone. Really want to get one but in order to do so I'd need to dump my cable internet to make the cost work out - and then I'm not sure I'd be able to get enough data.

I use a Verizon jetpack for internet access at my work and that thing is fast - faster than my cable internet. Would a phone used for the same thing (4G hotspot) be just as fast?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

so pretty much nothing can be done it sounds like. for what im paying for unlimited i would only get 3,4 gb if that. guess it's take it up the butt from apple time (ie full price phone).

or full price phone @ walmart and try that plan?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    This is why I still haven't bought a smartphone. Really want to get one but in order to do so I'd need to dump my cable internet to make the cost work out - and then I'm not sure I'd be able to get enough data.

I use a Verizon jetpack for internet access at my work and that thing is fast - faster than my cable internet. Would a phone used for the same thing (4G hotspot) be just as fast?
    You have to be grandfathered in on Big Red to get 4G unlimited. Verizon claims they don't throttle 4G, but I think they are full of shit. During business hours I usually get about 1-5 MB/s in downtown PDX. Late at night, I get about 20 MB/s.

Ya'll ever heard of wifi?
    I have 4 Gigs with 3 devices on a share everything plan and have yet to hit 1 Gig used.
    I thought I used my phone a lot but apparently I got nothin on you guys.

And IHC discount is SUPER sweet.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I got nothin on you guys, except an extra bill every month.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    FIFY
    $90 for unlimited calling, texting, 4 Gigs with hotspots on 2 iPhone 5's and an iPad mini on Big Red.
    No complaints here but hell what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    $90 for unlimited calling, texting, 4 Gigs with hotspots on 2 iPhone 5's and an iPad mini on Big Red.
    No complaints here but hell what do I know.
    I can't take a dump without crushing at least a GB. haha

I'm a wifiaholic

I'm a 4G man myself. Fuck always looking for wifi.