Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Idaho/Boise touring adventures

Who's touring around Idaho this winter? Where do you tour? I'm interested in the west mountains, Idaho City area, and Sawtooths primarily. Hoping for some Utah/ Jhole as well

I tour mainly in the Sawtooth's. I try and stay away from the Idaho City area if possible. I will get out in the McCall area a few times early in the year just based on trips that are already planned to McCall.

Bumping to resurrect this from the dead...

Anyone around Boise/McCall/Sawtooths this winter?

I'll be in Japan, but can give you a few limited recs. There's a few decent mags around too that know way more than me.

I always checked out Splattski's website. It's a treasure for anyone interested in Idaho.

http://www.splattski.com

Awesome, any input would be great. I'm familiar with the usual spots (Pilot/Sunset, Copper, etc) but that's about it. Hadn't seen that site, will definitely dig through it.

Been in Boise two years now and it seems like it would behoove me to finally meet some like-minded skiers.

There's a pass that goes from Donnelly to warm lake that supposed to be pretty awesome.

also, driving north from Weezer into the Hells Canyon area and seven Devils mountains is relatively untapped

Also, you should check out Tyson at the used back country equipment store in town. He knows all the good shit.

I don't doubt that about anything between Donnelly/Warm Lake.

Hadn't even considered anything over in that direction, although I guess that's sort of the eastern edge of the Wallowas, which are supposed to be spectacular.

I'll have to pop in there to meet him. Too many shops here are filled with guys who either don't ski or get out for 10 days a year and complain about Bogus the whole time.

Are you in Japan for the entirety of the winter?

There's actually a pretty active bunch of backcountry skiers that are based in the Boise area. I have about a dozen guys that I know and trust. PM me if you are interested. Splattski and crew are legit and I enjoy going out with them. The loosely organized group that I am with tends to use this site (http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717) to arrange get togethers, or FB. There is some awesome terrain above Soldier Mountain, which is an easy 2 hr drive from Boise, Cape Horn area up just past Banner Summit, of course the Sawtooths and Lick Creek E/NE of McCall is great. Lick Creek is really only accessible with a sled, unless you want to slog in for 5-10 miles. I will actually be spending more time in the Tetons this year, but I may do a couple of ventures out of Boise. If you want to see what some of these areas look like, I have some TRs here:
    Soldier Mountain area: http://hi-adventure.com/skiing-peak-...n-backcountry/
    Lick Creek: http://hi-adventure.com/lick-creek-yurt-trip-2015/
    Banner Summit area: http://hi-adventure.com/bull-trout-point-tr/
    Galena Summit area (with SMG): http://hi-adventure.com/gladiator-pe...nd-prize-tour/

Nice work getting that info out!

Trying to answer your post, but its awjward here for me.

Just a note, the censor is flagging me.

Rok Jox at century link dot net -- one word.

I could be your huckleberry. Don't know if I am your type of Br-asshat, but I still am around. Most of my bc skiing has been on Pilots,. know it well for over 25 years. Also some peaks on skis... Adams, Carter, some Colorado stuff... since about 1970... a lot of miles, nights, peaks and fun.

Check
    WTH?www dot tele mark talk dot com /viewtopic dot php? f=8& t=743 under partners wanted. One word, edit the dots. I do other stuff too. Ocassionally; if enthused.

Maybe my back is gonna ruin this year for me, I gotta a little pain, but intend to keep trying. My 30 something son is along on a lot of my trips, most of my other old guys have gotten medical issues, kinda dropped out and I got no idea if I do too.

But I have a large 4wd van, a lot of experience and a little desire still. But I gotta get to know you before I pass you on to the gang. High risk sports, you see...

I live in the Boise area, have for 30 plus years. Know a lot of stuff, places and have some poor skills remaining.

Write the contact info down, they may delete it damn quick if the past is a measure of the future. This site seems kinda prudish. Lots of guys (mostly from Kali) will say you are nuts for trying me though. It won't get you any forum posting points heading out with me. And you gotta drink, smoke and chase women in your spare time; If'n you ain't married already. I prefer drug and sex addicts over teetotalers any day.

Even this mild post is being refused by the censor... try-try again.
    Last edited by rokjoxx; 11-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post

I could be your huckleberry. Don't know if I am your type of Br-asshat, but I still am around. Most of my bc skiing has been on Pilots,. know it well for over 25 years. Also some peaks on skis... Adams, Carter, some Colorado stuff... since about 1970... a lot of miles, nights, peaks and fun.

Check
    WTH?www dot tele mark talk dot com /viewtopic dot php? f=8& t=743 under partners wanted. One word, edit the dots. I do other stuff too. Ocassionally; if enthused.

Maybe my back is gonna ruin this year for me, I gotta a little pain, but intend to keep trying. My 30 something son is along on a lot of my trips, most of my other old guys have gotten medical issues, kinda dropped out and I got no idea if I do too.

But I have a large 4wd van, a lot of experience and a little desire still. But I gotta get to know you before I pass you on to the gang. High risk sports, you see...

I live in the Boise area, have for 30 plus years. Know a lot of stuff, places and have some poor skills remaining.

Write the contact info down, they may delete it damn quick if the past is a measure of the future. This site seems kinda prudish. Lots of guys (mostly from Kali) will say you are nuts for trying me though. It won't get you any forum posting points heading out with me. And you gotta drink, smoke and chase women in your spare time; If'n you ain't married already. I prefer drug and sex addicts over teetotalers any day.

Best post ever?

Let's do this. A chance to join your jovial self in the get some ass and snow van. My SFB's need more snow time.

I have been interested in getting out around Boise more as well. I have done some touring around Tamarack area but am unfamiliar with other great places around, at least until I can get a personal drone to drop me off in the mountains. I have some ideas of areas I think would be good so thanks for putting up all that info. If someone is looking for someone to ride with or a group of people are going up I would love to join!! Let me know

I mentioned using FB as an additional communications medium in my post above from 11/4/16. We have added this page to kind of formalize the FB communications:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1205451092804058/

This week, we are looking at a dawn patrol run up in the Dry Creek area to do some practice with snow pits and beacon searches, (nothing formal and non-instructor led). AND get some turns in too!

Bumping this thread ... Who's been to the Jarbidge area south of Twin Falls? I hate to even bring it up here, but holee sheet!

Not yet... how's the access in the winter, though? Looks fun!

I'm in Jarbidge now, and all I can say is major potential ...

Wild! How much snow does that area get? Looks like maybe 100 miles north of the Rubies, but a lot changes in 100 miles.

I'm from Pocatello. Doing my freshman year of college down in Tahoe. Ill be back in Idaho for about a month in Dec-Jan. If I cant get a pass at my home mountain Ill just be touring.

Planning on making a trip up to SV and Driggs.

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    Best post ever?
    Yes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rokjoxx View Post

Check

You've got mail.....maaaaaaan! Yes Dave's right here. Attachment 216399

To all the Boise Mags-

I am going to be in Boise area from Monday to Sunday. First question:

Downhill bike or touring setup...or both?

Never biked or skied region. Anyone around or have current beta? Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by milmac View Post
    To all the Boise Mags-

I am going to be in Boise area from Monday to Sunday. First question:

Downhill bike or touring setup...or both?

Never biked or skied region. Anyone around or have current beta? Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Mac
    There is no real good snow to be had anyplace worthwhile yet for two planking unless you're into rock skiing.

As for mountain biking. The good trails [the ones higher up] are mostly snow bound. Some of those might be fat bike possible though. The lower trails should no longer be mucky thanks to recent freezing temperatures in the valley and very rideable. Some of those would be, Table Rock area, Lower Rock Creek [off of upper 8th street, Eagle Bike Park and behind the Camels Back Park area.

If you're going low, I suggest going on Monday. There is less traffic that day and far less angry/idiots to deal with.

After biking I suggest hitting up Parrilla Grill for some great micros and their Blackened Salmon Wrap. It's close to a couple of the areas I've mentioned. Enjoy yourself while out here and cheers!
    Last edited by ichibaneye; 11-17-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks for the intel ich! Anything around solider Mtn or bogus for skiing yet? Sounds like it's not in yet for a mellow tour.

Looks like eagle bike park has some solid downhill/ single track.

Thanks again.

re: Idaho/Boise touring

Quote Originally Posted by milmac View Post
    Thanks for the intel ich! Anything around solider Mtn or bogus for skiing yet? Sounds like it's not in yet for a mellow tour.

Looks like eagle bike park has some solid downhill/ single track.

Thanks again.
    As Ich has stated, the pickings are pretty slim right around Boise and that would include Bogus, (I have seen video of some guys on the north side of the ski area but it looks thin). Soldier Mountain area may be decent up high. The Dollarhide summit SNOTEL, which is in the general vicinity at 8400 feet is now up to 28 inches.

Right now, the Banner Summit area, (NW corner of the Sawtooths) is on. 28 inches at the SNOTEL just off the highway and I've seen evidence of some good stuff up there already. I'm headed that way on Tuesday AM with a friend and maybe another guy new to the area. If you're not familiar, this is about 2hrs +/- NE of Boise.