Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Location is same as last year:
    http://www.esaw.org/directions/
    John H Fuller Elementary School
    51 Pine Street
    North Conway NH

Post-presentations socializing & vendor displays are at IME, which is pretty much literally around the corner, so just plan to park at the elementary school's lot in the morning then walking over to IME in the afternoon.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Great, thanks!

Final ESAW Reminder!

The final shipment for the raffle prizes and silent auction just arrived at my door,
    so time for one final ESAW reminder:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    Subject: ESAW Coming in 2 days!

Looking forward to seeing all of you this weekend.
    Really a great line up and evening for this Saturday's ESAW 2013.
    Any last-minute questions let me know and I'll do what I can to respond if I don't get shelled.

• Bring a mug if you wish to keep the Frontside coffee hot.
    • This is last year on metal chairs I promise-I'll explain about 2014 on Saturday, but bring a cushion for your backside if you have trouble with metal folding chairs.
    • Some folks have found paper and pen handy for certain talks of interest.
    • We'll start right on time so please give yourself enough time to get through check in. We'll have about 140 people so it may take a hair longer to get through the line than last year. We'll have it streamlined with multiple people checking you in to help it go quickly.
    • Remember, If you are a member or worker in the list below bring along your membership information and get a $10 IME Gift certificate at registration. As I mentioned before make it easy for our volunteers at the check-in desk and bring something that easily passes the straight-face test, e.g., a membership card, a current organizational publication with your name and address on it, etc.

• American Alpine Club
    • National Ski Patrol
    • Professional Ski Patrollers of America
    • American Avalanche Association
    • Canadian Avalanche Association
    • Mount Washington Observatory
    • Current American Mountain Guides Association Certification
    • Taken or instructed an Avalanche course with AIARE certification in the past 24 months

• For those interested in hanging around on Sunday for some more avalanche-related education and topics, AIARE is offering an Instructors Refreshers Course just 100 meters from IME. They are offering it to ESAW attendees whether you're an instructor or not. The cost is $100. If interested check out this link: http://aiare.info/course_detail.php?recid=1557
    • Go to http://www.esaw.org/category/latest/ for Saturday's schedule.

See you Saturday!
    -- Chris

Leaving shortly for N Conway. Will probably have a beer / dinner at MOAT later if anyone is around.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Leaving shortly for N Conway. Will probably have a beer / dinner at MOAT later if anyone is around.
    Cant leave Boston till later, sadly, so won't be up until night. PM me your number in case I arrive early?

swing by the store on yer way north

rog

Great Workshop, Thanks to everyone for help putting it on. So impressed with the quality of the speakers and topics.

Special thanks to Jonathan. I did not win anything this year, but it looked like there was over $2,000 worth of ski swag given away thanks to his efforts. Big PROPS

What did they cover in the talk on winter use in Baxter State Park? I'm curious about the usual snow conditions up there as I'd like to make a visit sometime this winter.

He talked about decision making and not having a fixed plan when you go up there, cited the formula,

effort to get to objective X time spent planning trip = likely hood of making poor decisions

Also in talking to him privately he said that the they have a fairly unique avy climate. Thinner snow pack that MTW, occasional rain, brutal cold, potential for lots of blowing snow (but not as much as MTW), makes for a climate that he called like Colorado but with rain. Depth hoar is apparently a frequent problem.

Awesome conference over all with a number of excellent speakers. Also, Jeff Lane is going to be doing a free avy workshop / continuing ed every second Saturday of the month at IME in N. Conway.

Yeah, echoing everyone else here, it was a great time and everyone learned a lot. Great to finally put some faces to names as well and meet some of you guys. I’m going to try to track down the slides on weather information systems and post them here.

The only downside, however, is that after picking up all of Jonathan Sheffz’s gear, I now feel that my TLT5Ps and plum guides are heavy. WTF?? By the way Jonathan, I tried to find some more info about that BD helmet you had, but with no success- any chance you could post a link (if there is one to post?)

Anyhow, an informative, fun, and inspirational weekend. I just tuned and waxed the boards and am looking forward to putting them to use soon!

I hadn't even thought about the total value of all the donations, but when I added yet another column to my spreadsheet today, I got to around ... $2,600!
    Many thanks again to all our sponsors:
    http://www.esaw.org/sponsors/

Interesting add'l info on Baxter -- never been, but always been curious.
    Avalanche climate description sounds similar to last year's ESAW presentations on the daks.

Helmet:
    http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...izzard#start=1

Bretton Woods WROD rando race "training" Friday afternoon:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bretton Woods private training lane.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	871.1 KB 
ID:	144398
    (No pictures from night training Saturday and Sunday -- too dark!)
    Snow in Franconia / Sugar Hill Sunday morning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow Sunday Morning.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	584.6 KB 
ID:	144399

Also, excellent instructor training with AIARE's Tim Brown yesterday.
    Happened to be in the same room we used for 2011 ESAW -- hard to believe we all fit in there then.
    Hope to see many of you at November 8 of 2014 for the fourth annual ESAW!
    (And before then too of course -- Stowe is looking nice for tomorrow...)

Awesome event despite the fact I felt like I was hacking up a lung at times.

I'm kinda surprised that Ben hasn't cornered Bob more and beaten a history of avalanches in the park out of him.

Anyone find out from Tim why CAIC decided to make up their own symbols instead of using the Utah ones for problems? Or did he pass out at IME?

I took notes and audio through the sessions which are here.

Thread bump: the date is once again the Saturday of the second weekend of the month, so that will be November 8 this year.
    New for this year:
    -- Some social events Friday evening.
    -- Change of venue to just outside of North Conway (http://www.believeinbooks.org/Theater.html -- yeah, kind of strange url, but don't worry, we won't be sharing it with Winnie the Pooh and Curious George), although still finishing up at IME for socializing and vendor displays (with some add'l displays at the ESAW venue, just like last year).

I'll be posting more info in this new 2014 thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...anche-Workshop
    ... as we get closer to the date.
    (Okay, back to summer activities everyone!)

When does registration open?

When does registration open?
    I don't know, but I'll post an update here once registration opens.
    (BTW, thanks for the American Avalanche Association for approving my grant application for funding to help cover a Western presenter again this year!)

aha it's opening now bump!