Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    rock ring (30T is small enough i dont need a rock ring)
    Was it lead?

I thought I was going to need a rock ring or something from destroying rings on my XT 26-28 2x cranks. I swapped out to a 36 because the 38 was just un-needed for Sea to Sky. I've found that I wear out rings rather than destroying them on rocks or logs.

Can see how frame designers love it, they've all likely pulled out some hair trying to work a mech into the scheme with their crazy links, but most of the time they are just trying to design those crazy links so that they can market something new or avoid patent issues with other design.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Was it lead?

I thought I was going to need a rock ring or something from destroying rings on my XT 26-28 2x cranks. I swapped out to a 36 because the 38 was just un-needed for Sea to Sky. I've found that I wear out rings rather than destroying them on rocks or logs.

Can see how frame designers love it, they've all likely pulled out some hair trying to work a mech into the scheme with their crazy links, but most of the time they are just trying to design those crazy links so that they can market something new or avoid patent issues with other design.
    Bottom line is my bike is noticeably lighter, easier to maintain, more efficient and quieter and I'm never going back to a 2x system. Front derailleurs suck. Anyone who argues they don't, doesn't have the fitness for a 1x10 or can't afford XX1.

Bottom line is my bike is noticeably lighter, easier to maintain, more efficient and quieter and I'm never going back to a 2x system. Front derailleurs suck. Anyone who argues they don't, doesn't have the fitness for a 1x10 or can't afford XX1.
    So basically 2x = poor and unfit?

Someone's touchy about their trendy gear choices.

Fat and poor! Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Fat and poor! Love it.
    yeah, i had to laugh at that too.

not so much unfit but more unwilling to suffer and not so much poor but smart with money.

I'm of pretty average fitness and have no issue doing 5000'+ rides on a 32x11-36. If you can't handle a 1x10, consider getting in better shape.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Or you could run 1X, and comfortable footwear.
    Hell, most 'big' rides in the Big Holes, you want 22/38!
    And you will use it if you have it!

(Well, more like 22/36 or 24/38, but you get the point)

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Someone's touchy about their trendy gear choices.
    Trendy? Hardly. 1x is a game changer. In my 15+ yrs of MTbiking I can think of maybe 5 game changers. Disc brakes, dropper post, stans...and 1x. I bet you within three years all mt bikes will be 1x11.

I still say the future...is NOT one with derailleurs (as we know them)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I still say the future...is NOT one with derailleurs (as we know them)
    I've considered pulling the cvt out of my suby and throwing it on the bike...m

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Trendy? Hardly. 1x is a game changer. In my 15+ yrs of MTbiking I can think of maybe 5 game changers. Disc brakes, dropper post, stans...and 1x. I bet you within three years all mt bikes will be 1x11.
    ?

people have been running 1x drivetrains long before xx1

Quote Originally Posted by spicy cha cha View Post
    ?

people have been running 1x drivetrains long before xx1
    for sure and narrow/wide chainrings are nothing new as well. the game changer is the total XX1 package.

QFT. XX1 on my Altitude this year and I'll never go back. I've run plenty of 1x10 set-ups and once you pedal it for a week or two it's fine. Only front derailleur I'll use these days is on my road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ridevt View Post
    QFT. XX1 on my Altitude this year and I'll never go back. I've run plenty of 1x10 set-ups and once you pedal it for a week or two it's fine. Only front derailleur I'll use these days is on my road bike.
    In a few years when we've a 42x9-38 13-speed rear there'll be no need for a FD on a road bike either.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I wanted to follow up on this. I received my GL 42t cogset but ended up selling it for what I paid after trying to set it up. I was running an XT mid cage derailleur, XT 11-36 cassette and KMC X10 SL chain and had a few issues:

- shifting on and off the GL carrier was really bad. If cable tension was high, I couldn't downshift off the cogset and vice versa with low cable tension. It was one or the other

- I couldn't get enough b limit tension and had to flip the screw backwards to gain more range

- the 42 tooth cog caught the inside of the cage unless I ran a really long chain. I couldn't use the cage's full chain capacity and as a result ended with a very slack chain in 11t.

I'm now back with my 2x10. I wouldn't bother with this setup. Stick with 2x10 or go for the real deal.

What is mo betta to spend my hard earned cash on for the next build.

X01?

Or

A carbon frame?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I wanted to follow up on this. I received my GL 42t cogset but ended up selling it for what I paid after trying to set it up. I was running an XT mid cage derailleur, XT 11-36 cassette and KMC X10 SL chain and had a few issues:

- shifting on and off the GL carrier was really bad. If cable tension was high, I couldn't downshift off the cogset and vice versa with low cable tension. It was one or the other

- I couldn't get enough b limit tension and had to flip the screw backwards to gain more range

- the 42 tooth cog caught the inside of the cage unless I ran a really long chain. I couldn't use the cage's full chain capacity and as a result ended with a very slack chain in 11t.

I'm now back with my 2x10. I wouldn't bother with this setup. Stick with 2x10 or go for the real deal.
    Wondering if you would have faired any better with a 38 or 40.

I ended up just going 30x11-36, as I usually start pumping anyway by the time I'm maxed at 32x11. I wouldn't race with that setup, but works fine for everything else. Swap out to a 36 when doing lifts or shuttles.

30x36 out here is juuuust enough to allow me to clean pretty much everything I could clean at 24x34 - I effectively lose 24x34 and only have 24x30. I found that anything I can't clean with 30x36 is usually faster and more energy effecient to just walk.

I was thinking about converting my bike over to a 1x10 with the Race Face narrow-wide 32t front ring, but then I went for a ride last weekend and realized how much I love having a granny ring. I guess I'm either too out of shape or too cheap.

I ran the 30t N/W ring with my 11-36 cassette for a while. I found it was fine for short, intense rides but on 5-6 hour rides with lots of climbing I've been pretty glad to have my granny ring back on.

I'm now running 24-36 in front and am debating moving to a 32t big ring. For most of the riding around here, there is some climbing in the middle of a descending section and not having to shift into the granny during a "run" would be nice. The 36 is sometimes a touch big, but I never spun out in the 30 (at least on dirt).

I'm in the same boat but all I would need is one of those wolf tech narrow-wide direct mount rings so I might as well try it out. Not sure about 30 or 32t on my 29er. Currently has a 26t little ring which is already tough on some things, and I'm pretty sure it it was much taller I would be doing a lot of walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Wondering if you would have faired any better with a 38 or 40.
    Clearing the cage was a major issue and a smaller large cog may have worked better.

People on MTBR are having issues shifting on and off the GL carrier even in smaller versions. Not worth the hassle.

any feedback if the 42 tooth is just too big? I'll be trying the ebay 41T and adding it to the back of the 36T. See how that feels

I've heard a rumor that Shimano is putting out a 10 speed cassette with a 40t cog. I hope that's the case, with a 30t up front and 40t in the back I'll have all the range i need...

I've heard a rumor that Shimano is putting out a 10 speed cassette with a 40t cog. I hope that's the case, with a 30t up front and 40t in the back I'll have all the range i need...
    That would be AWESOME! My 28 and 30t front with 11-36 rear setups work great on all my local stuff. The only time on the 11t cog is when on the road, spinning to trails, or hooking up two trail areas. Mostly on the top7-8 cogs. 11-40 with a 30t front and being able to keep my 10speed stuff would rock! Though would probably need to go up to a med cage vs. the shorts on the bikes now.

I have found an 11-38 and 11-40 ten speed cassette by KCNC, but it's ti, and obscenely expensive. OTOH, would be still less money than plunking the wallet down on the counter for xx1/xo1... Also have no idea how well the thing actually shifts.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

took the plunge on a general lee to make my xt 11-36 a 11-40. also put on a new kmc sl 10 spd chain. i'm running it w a rf 30t n/w and a long cage slx w clutch. general lee was $216 shipped to my door(no duty or taxes and came in a padded envelope). its machined out of a solid chunk of al , so saved 40grams as well as another 40 w the kmc chain. b tension is fine with no issues but shifting between the gen lee and shimano cogs isn't the greatest. the spacer supplied is a machined aluminum washer so I will check it for any machining burs and give it the once over twice with a bit of sandpaper(betting that should work). All other shifts are perfect and it gives a recovery gear. A lot of tech moves i'm still mostly doing in 30x34 and then shifting in to the 40 for recovery or longer steep climbs. Its been a welcome addition so far. Still don't use the 11t so I've been dreaming of picking up one of those new rf next sl cranksets w the direct mount 28t ring for added slacker gearing. fit mofos would prob be fine w 30x40 most anywhere if they have 26" wheels. total weght savings is roughly 1 1/4 lbs