Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10 days in Utah

10 days in Utah

Need some sound advice from the people...

I am getting laid off from my desk job in November (hooray!) and planning to use a portion of the severance to stay somewhere in Utah for ~10 days in late January. I am trying to get in 6 or 7 resort days and a couple in the backcountry, all on the tightest budget possible.

Where is the cheapest lodging? I see the Avenues Hostel has pretty good options.

What resort will give me the most value for multi-day tickets?

I will not have a vehicle - which resort area has best transportation options?

Please and thank you!

Public transportation to lcc and bcc, can access backcountry/slack country off the buss as well. You can buy discount tickets locally at ski shops,Rei, etc. as far as lodging idk.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6cR5furQac

just kidding!!! there are many options for the discerning skier wishing to aquire topnotch accomodations at bargain prices!!! here are a couple options!!!

plan A

plan B

for fine dining options, on the cuff, may i suggest:

convenient and affordable transportation:

betty, next door, services tenderloins!!

for spending cash we have the dirtbag atm!!!!

well, i think that about covers it for off mountain needs!!!! as far as mountain activities you first need to ask yourself: do i feel lucky? do i need training wheels? the big luck no wheel crowd will always choose the bird!!!!!!!!!!

I would look for some deals now BYU sells some cheap Bird Tickets in the Fall. As long as your not here during the Holidays or MLK they should not be blacked out.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Are you married or do you have kids?

If not, my recommendation is that you find a room to rent for cheap and stay there until you get laid on, then you can make a properly informed decision about whether or not to go back to your desk job.

More like ski-verance pay...yeah.

Trust me...

lodging? http://www.staystudio6.com/reservati....aspx?num=6038

cheap, clean, convenient. my go-to.

tickets? canyons sports. or buy junior tix at solitude (spent a few days skiing there with no trouble at like 30 bux a day) for like half price since they stay in yer pocket through the ticket checker machine thingy. if you get caught just say they musta given you the wrong ticket and demand an upgrade for your embarrassment. see SKIFISHBUM, you don't need 14 seasons in the satch to figure the lil teeny weeny mountain range out

oh, and don't go late January. tends to be dry with inversion (valley 3 pack a day smog) for an extra added bonus. go a bit later for deeper snowpack.

with how accessible the bc is, I would save yer money on tickets and just tour. there's about a thousand skinners to follow from many many trailheads in both canyons.

rog

[QUOTE=icelanticskier;4034758]lodging? http://www.staystudio6.com/reservati....aspx?num=6038

cheap, clean, convenient. my go-to.

tickets? canyons sports. or buy junior tix at solitude (spent a few days skiing there with no trouble at like 30 bux a day) for like half price since they stay in yer pocket through the ticket checker machine thingy. if you get caught just say they musta given you the wrong ticket and demand an upgrade for your embarrassment. see SKIFISHBUM, you don't need 14 seasons in the satch to figure the lil teeny weeny mountain range out

oh, and don't go late January. tends to be dry with inversion (valley 3 pack a day smog) for an extra added bonus. go a bit later for deeper snowpack.

with how accessible the bc is, I would save yer money on tickets and just tour. there's about a thousand skinners to follow from many many trailheads in both canyons.

rog

I will probably get skewered for this but... Why is it that otherwise normal folks think it is ok to screw a ski area by cheating on lift tickets? It is no different than walking in the local grocery store and stealing dinner. People that would never shop lift have no problem with figuring out a way to get a free day of skiing or as suggested buy a child lift ticket and then lie about what happened if you get caught. Just saying

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    it's 15
    the soliticket ladies are sticklers and their not gonna sell you a juinor pass w/out a juinor present or a senior pass. they also know what pass you use to when you go through the gate and aren't shy about issuing theft of services tickets or they will give you the option of buying a day ticket which they will void and ask you to leave
    you can however buy 10 lifts for a few extra $$$ and milk a few days out of that if the ob gates/acess is open
    brighton also sells single ride tickets
    and their lifties don't always check passes
    so having a single ride ticket that they don't take isn't theft of services per se or it would be very hard to prove
    other than that most resorts kick down their employees discount passes.
    soli gives full time employees 1 per biweekly paycheck
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I will probably get skewered for this but... Why is it that otherwise normal folks think it is ok to screw a ski area by cheating on lift tickets? It is no different than walking in the local grocery store and stealing dinner. People that would never shop lift have no problem with figuring out a way to get a free day of skiing or as suggested buy a child lift ticket and then lie about what happened if you get caught. Just saying
    it's human nature. we all do it/have done it in some/way shape form. it's not like I killed someone. and I bought lunch/beers instead of brownbag/smuggle stuff in, so.......

i'm not saying it wasn't a shitty thing to do tho. maybe they've tightened up on it, but I never had problems getting junior tickets. just go in the busiest most chaotic line and tell the lady yer wife is getting the kiddo's ready as it was a long cranky drive to get there.

or find an emp that isn't using their pass on a given day, slide it in pocket. good to go. a friend came to visit for 3 weeks and used my gals pass (she worked a 9-5 m-f) pretty much every day. no issues. that one ride brighton pass is real good. such excellent bc access.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    it's human nature. we all do it/have done it in some/way shape form. it's not like I killed someone. and I bought lunch/beers instead of brownbag/smuggle stuff in, so.......

i'm not saying it wasn't a shitty thing to do tho. maybe they've tightened up on it, but I never had problems getting junior tickets. just go in the busiest most chaotic line and tell the lady yer wife is getting the kiddo's ready as it was a long cranky drive to get there.

or find an emp that isn't using their pass on a given day, slide it in pocket. good to go. a friend came to visit for 3 weeks and used my gals pass (she worked a 9-5 m-f) pretty much every day. no issues. that one ride brighton pass is real good. such excellent bc access.

rog
    OK, so there you go, it's ok to steal from ski resorts. Curious, do you do the same thing when you need a pair of shoes or fill your gas tank up and drive off?

Maybe you shouldn't be skiing at a resort if you can't afford an adult lift ticket.

I get by

rog

and let the butthurt ensue............

rog

Quote Originally Posted by BigLeagueBrian View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't be skiing at a resort if you can't afford an adult lift ticket.
    I am going to fess up on this, I had never given it a thought until last year. I was riding a chair at a Wasatch resort and happened to be sitting next to the person that is in charge of policing lift tickets at said resort. During the conversation this person who I know said they had just stopped an adult who was using someone elses season pass. Then they said why is it that otherwise honest people have no problem doing this at a ski resort but would not do similar things elsewhere. I sat there and thought holy shit, they are right and I had been guilty of it the previous day. Not going to go into the details but I was able to get a reduced price lift ticket for my visiting son under sketchy circumstances. I have never stolen anything in my life other than maybe loose change out of my grandmothers purse when I was 12. Stealing is stealing, period.

I am going to fess up on this, I had never given it a thought until last year. I was riding a chair at a Wasatch resort and happened to be sitting next to the person that is in charge of policing lift tickets at said resort. During the conversation this person who I know said they had just stopped an adult who was using someone elses season pass. Then they said why is it that otherwise honest people have no problem doing this at a ski resort but would not do similar things elsewhere. I sat there and thought holy shit, they are right and I had been guilty of it the previous day. Not going to go into the details but I was able to get a reduced price lift ticket for my visiting son under sketchy circumstances. I have never stolen anything in my life other than maybe loose change out of my grandmothers purse when I was 12. Stealing is stealing, period.
    see? it happens. many of us if not all have stolen something at some time. def not saying i think it is right. it ain't. poaching chairs from the bc for a few laps then back to the bc is low hanging fruit. used to do that coming from bcc to canyons resort and back to bcc for work just for something to do. upper mtn lifts with no electronic gates usually don't staff ticket checkers. a buddy o mine used to go to whistler for weeks. he arrive with his overnite gear, buy one day ticket, use that to get all his shit, food, supplies and whatnot up on the mountain, set up camp in the woods for a week or more, and ski to his hearts content on the upper mountain all week. no problems

rog

save all the guilt and grief!!!!! go to the dirtbag atm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    see? it happens. many of us if not all have stolen something at some time. def not saying i think it is right. it ain't. poaching chairs from the bc for a few laps then back to the bc is low hanging fruit. used to do that coming from bcc to canyons resort and back to bcc for work just for something to do. upper mtn lifts with no electronic gates usually don't staff ticket checkers. a buddy o mine used to go to whistler for weeks. he arrive with his overnite gear, buy one day ticket, use that to get all his shit, food, supplies and whatnot up on the mountain, set up camp in the woods for a week or more, and ski to his hearts content on the upper mountain all week. no problems

rog
    It may happen but it is wrong and I won't do it again.

It may happen but it is wrong and I won't do it again.
    good. whatever helps you sleep at night

go slaag!!!

rog

new from hollywood!!!! TEN DAZE IN UTAH!!! starring the tweaker twins, maria the snow queen, short shaft, alla dalla, and the dirtbag horde!!!! follow the exploits and the exploited as they seek to fill basic needs of food, shelter, desire, and above all else cheap lift passes!!!! watch as unknowing tourists step off the plane and into sin city by the salt sea!!!! award winning soundtrack by the temple showgirl chorus!!!! pioneer tested and prophet approved!!!!!! unrated.

(in the background: don't encourage him!!!! that's like mixing sugar with spresso!!!)

The Lifties at Solitude get a spiff for catching people using others passes. It'd make my season to be standing in line and see Rog get pinched for cheating the resort. (Which is real easy to do as they see your picture when you come through the line. Ie, don't listen to Rog's once upon a time Wasatch ramblings, he hasn't a clue...)

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    The Lifties at Solitude get a spiff for catching people using others passes. It'd make my season to be standing in line and see Rog get pinched for cheating the resort. (Which is real easy to do as they see your picture when you come through the line. Ie, don't listen to Rog's once upon a time Wasatch ramblings, he hasn't a clue...)
    i tell no tall tales. truth, the straight dope is all. with how bundled, goggled, and helmet'd up folks are it's tough to tell who's who. you'll have to find another way to have yer season made bob. maybe some nice fresh cord in the sun

rog

The straight dope? You told a guy to buy a childs pass or use an employees pass. Much like most of your "advice" that shit ain't gonna work. It cracks me up when people give advice from 1500 miles away and 10 years past on how things work. Your "advice" was about as worthless as 99% of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    The straight dope? You told a guy to buy a childs pass or use an employees pass. Much like most of your "advice" that shit ain't gonna work. It cracks me up when people give advice from 1500 miles away and 10 years past on how things work. Your "advice" was about as worthless as 99% of your posts.
    simple solution for ya butthurt jong. IGNORE.

wanna tissue?

rog

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    when was the last time you were in wasangles rogie doggie
    cause if you spent the last 7 or 8 seasons averaging 100 or so cuntting drivel obs/post in the thread
    and you were really here i'm disapointed
    how many days did you ski deer valley in your 2 seasons?
    hell you were the chicken that crossed the road cause the fantsey and wolvie shots were beyond your meadowy skippity do da skills
    keep dreamin the live and if cheatin resorts helps that dream
    go roj
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^^^^^^til you kin link 2 halfway decent turns together, yer spew is just that. have fun with yer lil wasatch, bro

rog