Culture shock, I need help!!!

I haven't been around much since I broke my back, foot, and knee back in March. I'm finally getting around pretty good, and now its time to get back on the water. Heres the problem, a month ago, my wife and I moved from West Yellowstone Montana to Titusville Florida. Needless to say I am out of my element down here. No boat, of any sort for the time being, and despising using live or cut bait seems to be limiting me. I got a spinning set up, and some hard and soft plastics. But beyond that I am clueless. We have great water here, the Indian River Lagoon, and Mosquito Lagoon are both right here, but where do I start? Any good books? Any advise?
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Hey DP,
    All I can say is try to befriend someone in the area who is a fisherman. It is hard to beat the local knowledge. Go hang out at the local tackle shop and shoot the breeze with the guys. Who knows? Someone might take you fishing or tell you what you need to do.

Good luck,
    Dennis

Going through the same ordeal up here in Pensacola.
    After living 25 years in the mountains I'm trying to find something fun to do to keep me sane.
    Start here to learn about all the tasty fishes and regulations;
    http://m.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/

Then google fishing forums and see what pops up in your area and meet new folks that can show you what's up.
    There is a forum for everything nowadays, here's my datapoint.
    http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    Needless to say I am out of my element down here. No boat, of any sort for the time being, Any advise?
    There's a reason why the locals prefer boats over wading. Nothing like this in the mountains or, at least, grizz have less teeth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_shark

0:40 for the action. Scary to think you could be teasing one towards you when you reel in a fish. Use a net, I guess...yeah that sounds like good advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcuYjDR2tSg

Indian River lagoon shore fishing is featured in s4ep1 of River Monsters. Bull sharks and the biggest grouper you've ever seen. The grouper is insane, one of the biggest pigs in the entire series; hard to believe you can catch something like this from shore. We're expecting pics, of course.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-04-2013 at 07:28 AM.

I haven't been around much since I broke my back, foot, and knee back in March. I'm finally getting around pretty good, and now its time to get back on the water. Heres the problem, a month ago, my wife and I moved from West Yellowstone Montana to Titusville Florida. Needless to say I am out of my element down here. No boat, of any sort for the time being, and despising using live or cut bait seems to be limiting me. I got a spinning set up, and some hard and soft plastics. But beyond that I am clueless. We have great water here, the Indian River Lagoon, and Mosquito Lagoon are both right here, but where do I start? Any good books? Any advise?
    Brevard county born and raised, went to Titusville high school, haven't lived there since 2000 go back every year and do damn good on the mosquito lagoon and upper indian river/intercoastal. I can help you out there. As for culture shock you have just moved to the detroit of the south my friend, when I go home I am culture shocked. There are some upsides and the locals that care are trying to jump start the place but the negatives are getting bad. If you have an option on where to live go beachside but not cape canaveral. Drive past that shithole to anywhere from 1st street south till you hit patrick afb on the south end or head north to new symrna if you can take the commute. Is orlando an option? The real orlando is not a touristy walt disney acid trip, that's to the south. It's actually got some redeeming factors. If you have to live in titusville you either want to be as close to the river as possible or north toward mims.

For fishing you don't need a boat, you can get to a good portion of the good shit from land and don't need to cast anything that used to be alive. You can start along the indian river towards the south end of town south of 50 and basically any spot you can wade out you stand the chance of catching some good fish. Knee to waist deep. Shuffle your feet! Look for white sand patches on the grass flats, dinner plates we call them, cast and reel across and you will catch something. Being from West Yellowstone I assume you fish a whippy stick? I never fished a fly rod there but 6-8 wt and flashy clousers work really good from what I hear. On a spinning rod soft plastics are a good start and will catch you sea trout, reds and the occasional snook. Anything silver is good. Johnson silver minnow spoons, zara spooks on top, bagleys finger mullet, mirrolures. If it looks like a finger mullet or a shrimp something is going to eat it. 10-12 lbs test or one of those fancy braids and maybe a short shock leader of something heavier is pretty much all you need. You are very close to some outstanding bigmouth bass water. South, Fox, and Fay lakes are all close. Then the St Johns river is just a bit further. More lakes than you can count around orlando. Boat is nice for the St Johns but not needed at the lakes. Yes there are gators, you will see them everywhere, don't try to pet them.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions or ask them here....

Thanks for the replies. We got up early today, and hit the river realy fast, and then headed out to the beach. No luck on the river, but hooked into a couple on the beach, broke off on one, and the wife lost the second one after I handed her the rod. Saw a big gator on the way back, between those, sharks, rays, and snakes I am more then a little leary. I feel a lot safer dealing with bears.

VIBES ++++++

Thanks for the replies. We got up early today, and hit the river realy fast, and then headed out to the beach. No luck on the river, but hooked into a couple on the beach, broke off on one, and the wife lost the second one after I handed her the rod. Saw a big gator on the way back, between those, sharks, rays, and snakes I am more then a little leary. I feel a lot safer dealing with bears.
    Playalinda? Good fishing out there and good waves on a N swell. Right around pier 8 on the lagoon side is edy creek, has a boat ramp and fishing dock, deep water hole right there that they catch grouper out of. The mullet run should be starting in a month or so and then fishing from the beach will really heat up. You passed a lot of good flats on the drive out there. If you head N through the refuge on SR3 to haulover canal tons of good fishing up there. Check google earth and look for manmade canals to the N and S of it on both the mosquito lagoon and indian river sides. From what I understand the True Value hardware on US1 has started a fishing section and carries a bunch of flats specific stuff and should be able to point you in the right directions. I have been reading about some epic algae blooms that have been happening in the N Indian River Lagoon that have turned the fishing off a bit. My friends are saying head further south around port st john and cocoa for better action. I have a bunch of friends back there that fish all the time I might be able to hook you up with one of them for some local knowledge....
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 08-05-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarify info

Knowing the tide makes a big difference fishing where you are.

You can always revert to bridge fishing~~
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I just arrived back here a few days ago and am leaving again in a few. I should be back for at least a couple months starting in October. You are welcome to come down and fish with me anytime after that. You can even wear those green shoes....maybe.

I used to live in New Smyrna beach. I thought it was a great place. T-ville not so much.
    I had a flats boat there so I can't really comment on fishing from land.

What I can comment on is that the surfing there is a lot of fun. It's a very consistent beach break that gets some decent height at times. Just stay away from the jetty, it's where the best surf is but it's also where the bigger sharks are. The Mexicans standing on the jetty fishing for sharks is a major cue for most. Away from the jetty it's mainly little nippy bulls that really aren't a big danger. You can rent a board cheap at Inlet Charlies right at the end of Flagler just before you drive onto the beach. Personal preference...I'll take sharks over the Griz any day. I've had more close calls with the latter. BTW...not a Florida cracker, I was born and raised in Montana.

How did you get hurt? sounds like a ladder or roof fall to get busted up like that. Vibes on the recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    How did you get hurt? sounds like a ladder or roof fall to get busted up like that. Vibes on the recovery.
    National Hare & Hound Dirt Bike race down in Idaho, hit a berm perpendicular to me right off the start. I am guessing I was going 60-70mph when I hit the ground. It was not a fun couple months. Now I can at least walk, and move around, and everyday gets a little better. I will hit you up once your back. I need all the help and tips I can get learning this saltwater game.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post

VIBES ++++++
    AWESOME...
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I just arrived back here a few days ago and am leaving again in a few. I should be back for at least a couple months starting in October. You are welcome to come down and fish with me anytime after that. You can even wear those green shoes....maybe.

I used to live in New Smyrna beach. I thought it was a great place. T-ville not so much.
    I had a flats boat there so I can't really comment on fishing from land.

What I can comment on is that the surfing there is a lot of fun. It's a very consistent beach break that gets some decent height at times. Just stay away from the jetty, it's where the best surf is but it's also where the bigger sharks are. The Mexicans standing on the jetty fishing for sharks is a major cue for most. Away from the jetty it's mainly little nippy bulls that really aren't a big danger. You can rent a board cheap at Inlet Charlies right at the end of Flagler just before you drive onto the beach. Personal preference...I'll take sharks over the Griz any day. I've had more close calls with the latter. BTW...not a Florida cracker, I was born and raised in Montana.

If Hook offer to take you fishing go as fast as you can to get there!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    If Hook offer to take you fishing go as fast as you can to get there!
    I am hoping to when the time, and offer are on the table.

I'm not as knowledgeable as Hook, but I am closer. If you find yourself in the Tampa area, hit me up. Always looking for an excuse to get out on the boat. Mostly fishing for snook and reds here. No promises on those species, but I can put you on trout all day long. Pretty good sized trout too. Suggest you tie your own knots though. PM Telee about that subject.

I bet you could fix that culture shock by moving back to CO...
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I'm not as knowledgeable as Hook, but I am closer. If you find yourself in the Tampa area, hit me up. Always looking for an excuse to get out on the boat. Mostly fishing for snook and reds here. No promises on those species, but I can put you on trout all day long. Pretty good sized trout too. Suggest you tie your own knots though. PM Telee about that subject.
    Well your knot lasted a nano second longer than mine would have...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Is that how long a nano second is? Always wondered that.

I have mastered the Double Uni Hook showed me that day. Never happen again.
    Just not used to a fish that can bust an Albright so quickly.

I know what you mean with knots. I never had issues till moving here, but I am getting them figured out now. I just learned a new one last weekend that has been AWESOME for braid to mono connection. The bad part is I have no idea what its called.

Find it here. http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots

I bet it's the Albright. Great knot, but I started using the double Uni after that Tarpon trip.

Double uni is the know for braid to mono or braid to flouro.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Find it here. http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots

I bet it's the Albright. Great knot, but I started using the double Uni after that Tarpon trip.
    Didn't find it there, or on any other sites. The best way I can describe it is this.

1. tie a tripple surgeons loop to the end of your braid, make the loop 9-12 inches
    2. slide your mono/flouro through the loop and wrap towards the running end of the loop, 7-12 times depending on line size.
    3. now pinch the braid and mono/flouro at the point where you stopped wrapping, and wrap the same number of wraps back down over your previous wraps.
    4. slide your mono/fluro tag end through the loop in the same direction that you inserted in to begin with.
    5. Moisten, and pull both tag ends to tighten, be sure you hold the braid above the loop so that you don not end up with an uneven loop.