Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

2013 Fishing Summit

Dates: October 10th - October 13th. (Obviously you can stretch it or shorten it)
    Where: Divide/Wise River, Montana

Fishing: Big Hole and the Beaverhead are the two most notable fisheries in the area and the most likely rivers most of us will fish. The ruby river, Clark canyon reservoir, Jefferson river and plenty of pay-to-play spring creeks are also right there. We will have plenty of other options if for some reason things are shut down where we are. So for those inclined, you could stretch this out and fish as many other waters as you would like to.

I will keep tabs and report back as the summit grows closer as to boats available. Please post if you can bring a boat.

Floating:

No major whitewater on the Big Hole but there are plenty of rock gardens and turbulent sections. The BH is a long river but the fall brings low water conditions. floats will most likely be on the lower stretches.

The Beaverhead is a mostly mellow tailwater on the stretch we would be fishing. There are a couple wave trains and turbulent areas but nothing big.

The other floats and wadable rivers can be discussed.

Camping:

LexiBell or I will send out a mass PM as to where the camp spot is. We will make sure there is at least a couple weeks lead time but if you look on a map you can get the idea of where we are going. We all have our favorite camp spots. Most of which are away for the general public. For the Summit, it is a bit easier to meet at someplace that everyone can find and come and go as needed. So, we prolly won't be 16 miles back on a FS road. This area is not crowded in October. Finding a suitable spot won't be tough.

Note: There is not much around this area as far as basic good and services go. There is a fly shop on the BH in Melrose. A couple in Dillon too. There are only a couple bars close by. Plan accordingly.

Getting There:

For you Utards, it's a straight shot up I15. Bozone guys should probably know where I am talking about. If you are coming from the Teton area, heading to Rexburg and up is the quickest. CO...not sure what route is the best. Prolly up through JH or over to I15 in UT.

Hope to see you guys there!
    Last edited by schwerty; 07-26-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Hack fisherman ok? Anyone wanna carpool from slc?

Thanks for putting this together Schwerty. As of now dates look good to me, may or may not have a boat by then. May try to get on a pay to play spring if anyone is game for a session. I don't know how the rest of the group feels but if you're a hack, no worries. I'd be willing to spend some time working with anyone who needs it, the maggot community has been good to me. Will be rolling up from Idaho Falls if that helps anyone.

Makes no difference to me how skilled people are. These things are about hangin for a weekend. Anyone is welcome regardless of ability.

I forgot.

I will have a drift boat at the summit and can bring a Watermaster, (1 man), if someone wants to use it.

I am tentatively in. My work, tends to be panic driven so I can often be a last minute cancel. If I am there I will bring my boat as well. Dfinn, you are more than welcome to ride with me.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    your welcome to roll with me and dork dog but i'm gonna do my best to leave tues. and may not head back till mon.
    wheres that neckdeep bro been? I always wanted to fish with him.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have been hoping this would hit but alas, I will be in Cody, WY on those dates, hunting speed goats and chasing browns and rainbows on the Shoshone. Had a boat lined up to bring as well. If a spring thaw one gets going I would like to make that one.

I'm in. Driving from the Bozone in the grocery getter SUV so room for a couple others.

Edit to add.

I've got a Kelty Sunshade and a 10x10 mesh room thing as well as a 2 room SD tent that's huge.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 07-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Can I bring my spincaster?

It's a pushbutton. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Can I bring my spincaster?

It's a pushbutton. No big deal.
    Hell ya! I have one under the seat of my drift boat. It also has a push button.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

What about kokes?

Any snaggin up there in the fall?

I'm going to say I'm in and will make the trek down from Alberta...Will bring some Canadian beers with me.

By October I won't want to look at a fish that isn't on my plate.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    What about kokes?

Any snaggin up there in the fall?
    There are plenty of kokes you can snag while going through Wyo or ID. There might be some kokes in Clark canyon res.

Kokes or kooks? Usually plenty of both.

Jer's coming?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Jer's coming?
    Jer and SFB? Now that would be fun!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

You in Tye?

Yeah you should come up rhino!

I'll bring a raft for three (me plus two) and a tent for four. Ive got a 10x10 canopy so we can cook if its raining(or snowing,heh) if anyone else has one, two would be better.

Some of you know bump-tucky from the last one of these, pretty sure he's comin with a boat as well. Will work on igband to bring along the STRIKE FORCE 5000 as well, a vessel designed specifically for our endeavors. CG we can roll together if you or anyone else wants to come from bzn (looks at tone capone)

Not too sure about snaggin kokes but on the bighole a guy has a good shot at some brookies and a chance for a Grayling. Have seen numerous tagged browns in the last couple years in my net. For the streamer-holics start tying yellow. Dont know why but the BH is a river that rewards fishing classic patterns, two weeks ago we caught fish on hares' ears, parachute adams, and wooly buggers.

For the lake guys Clark Canyon is a gem. Lots of large fish that eat flies, check out frontier anglers website for conditions updates.

Havent fished the beav in 10 years and SUPER pumped to get back. Big fish, small river. Have a couple camp spots in mind but feel free to throw out any suggestions.

Late to the party invite on this, but I'm definitely in. Schwerty - as usual, thanks for catalyzing things.

Can drag over the raft with the BZN caravan if needed.

Dammit, I'd be in but it's my buddy's wedding weekend
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post
    Dammit, I'd be in but it's my buddy's wedding weekend
    My Wife just came into my office to inform me that is the same wknd as her/our friends' wedding. I politely informed her I wouldn't be attending, (the wedding). Not sure if I would recommend that.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    My Wife just came into my office to inform me that is the same wknd as her/our friends' wedding. I politely informed her I wouldn't be attending, (the wedding). Not sure if I would recommend that.

One of the weddings I was supposed to go to this summer got called off about 2 weeks out so I guess I should never say never....
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.