Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Living in Kalispell, MT

Just got a clinical placement to work in Kalispell from September to the end of January. I've stayed and skied at Whitefish for a couple days and got some good info about rock climbing. Looking if anyone here has some info about backcountry skiing in the area and most importantly any recommendations for temp housing...or if any locals have a room to rent out, etc.

Thanks all.

Kevin,

I live in Kalispell, do a bit of BC skiing, and have a lot of friends who do also. I am not aware of any temp housing, but will ask around. Are you going to be skiing inbounds or just backcountry?

Seth

Kalispell is creepy as fuck. That's all I can say.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've heard it's the Bible Belt of Montana, but that's just one opinion.

What an awesome time to be around the Flathead, though. Get to Glacier for the fall colors and smaller crowds. Thankfully, you'll miss the influx of Albertans which seem to make up half of Whitefish in the summer.

Sorry I can't help out on the housing but once you figure that out, you won't be hurting for stuff to do.

Hey!

I've never thought of Kalispell as creepy, but I have lived here for a good chunk of my life. That said, there have been a few things lately that have been a bit creepy.

Seth

It's just so empty, but seems like it should be so busy.
    Live closer to Whitefish than Kalispell, that's what I'd recommend. It's not far, you can see 1 from the other. If you wanna go high rent, there's Big Fork or maybe Lakeside.
    No longer stuck.

Seth,

These days I mostly backcountry ski, though I know I'll hit up the resort on occasion. I'll for sure get in touch when I get ready to move out there. I've been starting to watch craigslist for any possibilities on housing...hopefully being a grad student in a medical program I can swing a deal.

Stuck-
    It seemed that whitefish was a little more expensive? Or maybe I just got the wrong perception.

Stuck,

Interesting observation. I have never noticed that. When I was going to school at UI, however, I used to drive through Tensed, ID. I only went to school there for 2 years, but I literally never saw a single person in all of the trips through town. I would see TVs on through windows, cars outside of diners, but not a single person, ever. That was creepy.

Whitefish is definitely more expensive than Kalispell. I have a lot of friends who live in Whitefish, and someday we may end up there, but I definitely feel like Whitefish is a lot more pretentious than Kalispell. They have a nice downtown area, and better restaurants, but Kalispell is definitely getting better.

When does your clinical start and in what field?

Seth

BC Skiing: up the middlefork is awesome (drive east from West Glacier). Jewel Basin is also great. Easiest access is stuff around the resort. A snowmobile will make your life better (or at least will make for a shorter walk). Go to RMO (gear shop in downtown Kalispell). they're a good shop and they sell a pretty decent guide book.

Housing: For short term housing, you'll have an easier time looking in Whitefish. It may cost a bit more, but there's way more people moving in and out seasonally, and it's a much younger population - you'll have an easier time finding a room or a portion of a house to rent. If you're swinging in to town to look for housing, shoot me a PM. There's a couple people I can think of that potentially would be looking for a roommate, but I'm not sure what their current status on that is.

I don't really find Kalispell creepy at all, but it's definitely pretty conservative. You can play the "how many times did I see the 10 commandments" game while driving around the valley.

Don't listen to stuckatcuntmtn he's a fucking retard. You can pay more to live in Whitefish but few people who live in the valley for more than a year actually stay there, don't worry about Kalispell, the Flathead Valley is awesome. Look around Columbia Falls if you want cheap lodging but don't want to live in the metropolis of Kalispell. Check out Happy Valley, it's close to KRMC and close to Whitefish. If you're looking to party with young hipsters and people from Calgary, Whitefish is the place to go.
    People have covered the bc skiing options, but really they are endless, and I mean that.

Well, do you have a capable bike, Amigo?
    http://mtbparks.com/Mountain-Bike-Pa...d-Opening.html

Kallispell strikes me as the White River Junction, VT of MT
    No longer stuck.

Shit, you could rough it in a cabin with a view of the river from West to CF but, if I was you, I'd post up the dats on your situation and position (not here, up there...maybe in the local newspaper), kevino, and land some sweet vacation digs that might need a housesitter in Whitefish. You got cred, bro. danimal knows where the goods are.

Whatever you do, don't listen to those fucking hippies in Missoula.

I know one thing about cattle-smell. There is a lot more puss over there than there is 100 miles west. You'll have a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

That's because you've never lived in real Montana. Bozeman and Missoula are not Montana.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I have a lot of buddies who have ended up living/buying in Columbia Falls lately. C Falls isn't too bad, but I agree with toast that Whitefish would be easier and a bit more rewarding for short term housing especially if you're young.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    My little brother had a hand in that park and two friends were instrumental in it. I might be biased but it looks amazing and by all account the new trails are riding super well with some great features. I am stoked to get back down there and ride.

-The Gylfaginning

The Flathead valley is truly great. Great riding, great paddling, great skiing, among other activities.

Shoot me a pm when you get closer. I'll be forgoing the ski pass this year to try to spend more time in the backcountry - many of the areas that were already mentioned - and I know a lot of guys who tour during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The bike park is definitely tons of fun. If arrival date is September, you're probably not going to get much lift served in, but it's a pretty easy pedal up.

Thanks again for the info. Not a mountain biker but sure does look like a sweet park! I'll use it to entice some friends to come visit. Looking forward to moving out there in september...

Quote Originally Posted by Single Track View Post
    I've heard it's the Bible Belt of Montana, but that's just one opinion.

What an awesome time to be around the Flathead, though. Get to Glacier for the fall colors and smaller crowds. Thankfully, you'll miss the influx of Albertans which seem to make up half of Whitefish in the summer.

Sorry I can't help out on the housing but once you figure that out, you won't be hurting for stuff to do.
    I lived there during the 94/95 season and I was straight out of New Jersey so it was kind of a creepy experience for me. I have never met so many people that could and would recite bible passages and often while holding onto a gun. Back then there was a heavy anti government militia christian thing going on. I don't know what it's like now since I haven't been there since but now looking back it's kind of what I like about that area except for the heavy religious part. It was kind of wild westish, same reason I kind of like creepy New Mexico. It was a cool experience but that area isn't for me for the long haul. The mountains are incredible, I think the Glacier National Park mountains are the most beautiful in the lower 48 and I would love to explore the skiing options in that park.

Well, RA, if you wanna take a road trip and check out the riding, pick me up on the way!

Kallispel, a bedroom community for San Diego, is the real Montana?
    No longer stuck.

Whitefish, a bedroom community for San Diego, is the real Montana?
    Fixed for you.

Don't forget that Missoula isn't real Montana either, it's Portland OR Seattle WA Minneapolis MN Chicago IL and NYC NY transplanted to central western Montana and includes all the negatives of each listed urban area, with none of the supposed "positives."

You can always move back to Westchester County.

I've traveled around more than you think I have. Nowhere else in MT gives me such a creepy vibe.
    No longer stuck.