Cellular signal booster? any experiences to share?

we just moved. i work out of the house. we plan on building a studio apart from the house (whole reason for moving), but, until it's built, i'm in a daylight basement. only problem: the foundation walls seem to stymie the plentiful signal just outside the door. we've dubbed the patio "the telephone terrace"

amazon has mixed reviews for the wilson products, but that seems to be the most google-ized product (thus most popular?)

what does the collective like for a local cell signal booster?

if it matters, it's for att iphones (support signal for two)

thanks up front!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    we just moved. i work out of the house. we plan on building a studio apart from the house (whole reason for moving), but, until it's built, i'm in a daylight basement. only problem: the foundation walls seem to stymie the plentiful signal just outside the door. we've dubbed the patio "the telephone terrace"

amazon has mixed reviews for the wilson products, but that seems to be the most google-ized product (thus most popular?)

what does the collective like for a local cell signal booster?

if it matters, it's for att iphones (support signal for two)

thanks up front!
    We used a Wilson booster at work to go from zero cell service to being able to run 3g wireless air cards with ease. Lots of our work trucks have them installed as well.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I have an ATT microcell tower that connects to my modem/router. Needs to be rebooted from time to time, which probably has to do with the internet going out, which may or may not be due to bad exterior or internet wiring--we'll see if they fixed it. When the tower is working my phone connects to it on its own 90% of the time. 10% of the time I have to power the phone off and on. When I'm connected I get five bars of 3G. It beats going out on the deck in a blizzard to make phone calls. The thing is 9in high, 1 1/2in thick, 6in wide. ATT gave us ours due to poor cell reception in our neighborhood. You may or may not be able to get the retention folks to give you one, otherwise you have to buy it.

char, good feedback

old goat, do you know if the att microcell is a monthly rental/service? or flat fee piece of equipment?

thx gentlemen!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    char, good feedback

old goat, do you know if the att microcell is a monthly rental/service? or flat fee piece of equipment?

thx gentlemen!
    According to ATT web site it's a flat purchase fee and no monthly--$0-150 according to a forum I looked at; no price that I could find on the ATT site. The forums do mention problems some people have had getting phones to hook up to them--some people have had to turn airplane mode on and off. We've had no problems ourselves with either dumb or smart phones. You do have to go online to add phone numbers (up to ten) that can access the tower. Joe Schmo out on the street can't access it. And AFAIK only ATT phones can access it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    According to ATT web site it's a flat purchase fee and no monthly--$0-150 according to a forum I looked at; no price that I could find on the ATT site. The forums do mention problems some people have had getting phones to hook up to them--some people have had to turn airplane mode on and off. We've had no problems ourselves with either dumb or smart phones. You do have to go online to add phone numbers (up to ten) that can access the tower. Joe Schmo out on the street can't access it. And AFAIK only ATT phones can access it.
    i wasn't finding much on the att website, thx much!

We install cell boosters in a lot of government vehicles that we build. They work well. The key is to get good separation between the internal antenna and the external. However, the model that you are showing there allows you dial down the power on the different radios which can eliminate oscillation/feedback between the inside and outside antennas.

Antenna selection can make a big difference also. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want further info.

Seth

I live on the edge of service. I get one bar on a good day if I stand on my roof. I mounted a 12db yagi antenna above my house, connected it to a Wilson 60db gain booster with a parity omni antenna in the house. I got oscillation on the system initially so I put in a 10db attenuator on the incoming sinal cable before the booster, problem solved. I use 4g to get my internet and it works well. I have 3 to 5 bars on my phone and can make call from my house now.

Wilson make lots of boosters, some crap some good.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have an ATT microcell tower that connects to my modem/router. Needs to be rebooted from time to time, which probably has to do with the internet going out, which may or may not be due to bad exterior or internet wiring--we'll see if they fixed it. When the tower is working my phone connects to it on its own 90% of the time. 10% of the time I have to power the phone off and on. When I'm connected I get five bars of 3G. It beats going out on the deck in a blizzard to make phone calls. The thing is 9in high, 1 1/2in thick, 6in wide. ATT gave us ours due to poor cell reception in our neighborhood. You may or may not be able to get the retention folks to give you one, otherwise you have to buy it.
    This. I have a microcell and Old Goat pretty much summed it up. We have the same problems he mentioned, but still better than no service. We live in a canyon and went from 1 bar or no service to full bars. The only pia is is drops calls when it goes from the 4g to the microcell and vice versa. So if you are talking on the phone on your way home, it will drop when I walk in my house. Not that big of a deal to have cell service at my house when we had almost none. I went through several calls with AT&T and eventually got them to give me one for free. Including dropping several calls when I was on the phone in driveway with tech support. I can't imagine going back to not having it. No monthly fee and when I got mine they were $200. That was about a year and a half ago.

Do you have a way or place to put an antenna? If so then the Wilson products may work for you. As others mention it has to have a signal somewhere and be able to pick up that signal (ie no service or signal equals failure). The other thing on the AT&T microcell is what is your high speed internet connection like? They basically use your internet to make the cellular connection, so no signal at all or a very weak signal is not an issue. Some do not like the fact that they pay for cellular service, don't get any signal and then basically have to purchase the box and pay monthly Internet fee to be able to use their cell phone (which they still pay monthly fee and minutes too)

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Some do not like the fact that they pay for cellular service, don't get any signal and then basically have to purchase the box and pay monthly Internet fee to be able to use their cell phone (which they still pay monthly fee and minutes too)
    This...American capitalism at it's best (worst?)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

We have an ATT microcell at home as well. My wife got it for free when she threatened to cancel her service because our new home didn't get any signal. Works well, needs rebooted occasionally. Requires a GPS signal to make sure you aren't using it in an unauthorized location.

Obviously the microcell and booster are two completely different things, the booster requires that you have at least some signal.

There is a Wilson Signal Boost DT in the office next to mine (basement level ftw), for some reason they need it on their side of the building whereas on our side is fine. I'm closes enough that my phone bounces between theirs and a cell antennae.

we get reception no problem around the property and upstairs -- it's just the basement where we have a fortress of solitude - and that happens to be where the office needs to be for this year until we can build the studio

it sounds like the wilson hardware is just the ticket

won't help the OP, but for those with ATT who have poor signal strength at home, ATT retention is probably the best way to get a free microcell. 877 677 6379 for California--not sure if all of CA but you can get the number by calling the idiots at tech support. PS when you contact ATT tech support it's worth doing their survey--if you report bad results someone actually helpful may call you.