Vroooooom: DPS Wailer 112 RPC Pure3

New ski, new thread.
    I've been lucky enough to already get 5-6 days skiing NZ club fields on the 13/14 RPCs after a warranty replacement, and have got a good feel for how they compare to my old 12/13 RPCs, which I loved.

Blister has done an extensive review , with which i generally agree, at least in terms Pure2 vs Pure3. My previous review and lots of other goodies still hold pretty true for the 13/14 RPCs and are all detailed, along with lots of mount point info in the 12/13 RPC thread

Me: 186cm, 80kg naked, solid but not expert/pro skier, 192cm mounted with sollyfits and sth16/plum guide.
    The 13/14 RPCs keep their charging bull character, relentless energy and electric feedback (in a good way, ususally) They seem to flex as before: very stiff though the forefoot and mid tail and a great gradation into a medium-still fore body and, compared to say, a 112rp, a stiff shovel.
    The pure3 construction is slightly, but noticeably more controllable in chunky, cruddy and variable conditions (which I've skied lots of), and hold their own as long as there is an edge to be had, and the softer and deeper and more consistant the snow, the more in their element they become. I had a great afternoon making GS turns down the softening crud and chop of Terako face at Mt Lyford, and a similar day at Craigieburn opening skiing wind packed pow down hamilton face and jump turning down a few of the tighter middle basin chutes. They don't really have a speed limit, but that tail will punish you if you try to shut down in variable snow unexpectedly or with poor form. My technique has become to turn where its consistent and head straight or in shallow turns, envisioning Candide, in more variable snow. Both pursuits are ridiculously fun on the RPC.

The shape, which is money, is unchanged, and the squared off, not quite pintail has been adopted across the ridiculously popular 13/14 Rossi S series.
    In comparison to the new Super 7, the RPC is much much stiffer, and the Super 7 is really just too soft and short in a 188 to be of much use to a 6ft, 185lb aggressive skier in anything but blower. In comparison to the squad 7, it is slightly stiffer throughout, and more than slightly stiffer through the tail. But i would say a skier who enjoyed the Squad would enjoy the RPC, and vica versa. Its funny to see Rossi dropping weight from the the tips of a heavy ski, and DPS adding weight (barely any overall) to the perimeters of a light ski.

All up, a small but welcome improvement to my favourite soft snow ski, giving it a slightly damper ride in less than ideal snow. For NZ its too much ski for a centre quiver piece, but does nicely as a top end soft snow and good spring corn specific ski, and would fall back into its pride of place as daily driver if I get back to Canada.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-1.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	139715
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	139716
    Last edited by Tutuko; 07-25-2013 at 04:43 AM.

even cheap rental skis are good in soft snow.

rog

What was the warranty for? What happened to the original pair?

That was a useful review, thanks.

How are they handling upside down snow?
    Life is not lift served.

Appreciate the review. Thanks. Looking forward to getting on a pair of these this year.

I agree Rog, but these allow you to ski faster and with more aggressive, weight forward technique than your average pow ski in the soft stuff. If that's a bit clearer?

As for upside down snow, I haven't had any truly difficult stuff yet (pretty good early season here), but if its breakable with packed a pow under, they do well, not as care free a my r/r pow boards, ad obviously the 20-24m side cut is noticeable. But the shovel shape and stiffness is very confidence inspiring for pushing it, I just have to plan my route and pay attention skidding them out at pace.

The original warranty was for a small edge separation issue and the DPS warranty experience was the best I've ever had with any product. They even got me the skis for my July season kick-off.

I have a pair of the first year RPC and think it is one of the best all around soft snow ski out there. I'm a huge fan. I also found the original RPC a good bit more stiff than a medium/stiff GPO or the Soul 7 (more a 112RP flex) and Super7 (closer to the GPO but still not as stiff in any fashion as the RPC imo).

My review from last Spring:
    http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013...lotus-115.html
    Last edited by Dane1; 07-26-2013 at 12:45 AM.