Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Vermont, Maine, NH, NY Car Camp Tour - IPA, day hikes and must see suggestions?

I've been to 47 states but have never been to Maine, Vermont, or Alaska and for that matter I've never been far enough north to see the mountains in New York or New Hampshire except for maybe when I was a tiny baby with my parents and I don't remember that at all. We are heading out East to knock off two of the states and check things out.

Probable itinerary with wife and two kids and our aussie dog (which means one of us might have to stay behind with him for some things which is fine) - we have reservations for all of this but they are 100% cancel-able.

Day 1-2-3 Leave our awesome Iowa homeland and travel across the flat miserable abyss of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio and then car camp at Smugglers Notch State Park campground in Vermont. Check out Stowe surrounding area.

Day 4-5-6 Travel across New Hampshire and drive up Mt. Washington then on to camp at Acadia National Park (Seawall campground) in Maine for 3 nights

Day 7 Head back west for one night in Lake Placid at Crowne Plaza. Check out ski areas and surrounding area.

Day 8-9 Camp on Lake Ontario and hit up Niagara Falls (wife has never seen this and insists - I assume this will be miserable but we can knock it off on the way home). I'm worried about the dog thing here. Might restrict us to one at a time. Canada/US side better?

I like good local breweries and kick ass day hikes. Any water activities as well so any suggestions for boat tours or water activities in Acadia, Lake Placid, or Stowe welcome.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 07-21-2013 at 11:11 AM.

pancake's here, do not miss out.
    http://pollyspancakeparlor.com/
    Sugar Hill, might be my favorite town in the sweet ass state of NH.
    plenty of quality day hike's, lot of 'fours' in that area.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Day 4 is Stowe to Mt. Washington to Acadia? If so that's a lot of country to cover. Maybe consider staying night 4 at Rangeley Lake State Park in Maine. it's beautiful and genrally uncrowded (but check your dates) and sorta-kinda-sideways on your route, with some bushwhacking through the woods a bit.

Also, if you can work Portland into your trip, it's a great little city with tons of brewing going on, maybe more for any city its size in the country (or maybe not, but there's a lot), and tons of great seafood and things to see.

Camden, ME. would be a nice stop. Camp at Camden Hills state park, hike up Mount Battie, Check out the Camden Snowbowl (ski area). Make a stop in Waldboro to eat at Moody's Diner. Lots to do in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Day 4 is Stowe to Mt. Washington to Acadia? If so that's a lot of country to cover. Maybe consider staying night 4 at Rangeley Lake State Park in Maine. it's beautiful and genrally uncrowded (but check your dates) and sorta-kinda-sideways on your route, with some bushwhacking through the woods a bit.
    Yeah, that will be a huge day and miles out east are probably way longer than miles here or out west. I will look at your suggestion. Overall we are trying to cover way too much ground on this trip for the time frame but it is what it is. Sometimes pushing on is easier than setting up the tent for just one night.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Also, if you can work Portland into your trip, it's a great little city with tons of brewing going on, maybe more for any city its size in the country (or maybe not, but there's a lot), and tons of great seafood and things to see.
    Seafood and beer? Sounds good to me.

NH - Be sure to hit up Moat Mountain for delicious BBQ and beer.
    If you rock climb at all, I highly recommend finding someone to guide you up Whitehorse on Standard or Beginners route. 1000+ feet of 5.5 slab with some astounding views.
    Make sure to check out Franconia Notch (Cannon) and either ride the Cannon tram or do Liberty/Lafayette (2 4k footers with a ridge traverse) to get the full views of the notch area. Favorite day hike is probably Chocorua to the south. Also make sure that when you transition from Franconia area to North Conway, you use the Kangamagus.

Honestly, given that you aren't going to be biking, you should de-emphasize your time in VT and instead do all the fun Northern NH activities like the Flume.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    pancake's here, do not miss out.
    http://pollyspancakeparlor.com/
    Sugar Hill, might be my favorite town in the sweet ass state of NH.
    plenty of quality day hike's, lot of 'fours' in that area.
    That looks awesome. My wife is pancake lover and she is actually making some right now while I sit here watching the last day of the tour.

In Vermont...

Lake Willoughby:

and the Hill Farmstead Brewery:

I agree that Portland Maine is worth a visit. Great food and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    NH - Be sure to hit up Moat Mountain for delicious BBQ and beer.
    If you rock climb at all, I highly recommend finding someone to guide you up Whitehorse on Standard or Beginners route. 1000+ feet of 5.5 slab with some astounding views.
    Make sure to check out Franconia Notch (Cannon) and either ride the Cannon tram or do Liberty/Lafayette (2 4k footers with a ridge traverse) to get the full views of the notch area. Favorite day hike is probably Chocorua to the south. Also make sure that when you transition from Franconia area to North Conway, you use the Kangamagus.

Honestly, given that you aren't going to be biking, you should de-emphasize your time in VT and instead do all the fun Northern NH activities like the Flume.
    Yeah, no bikes - it is just too much crap and doesn't work that good with the kids. This VT vs NH is the kind of info I need. Going out blind.

I can't climb worth a damn but I have a harness and my wife is all into it.

I'm going to try to digest this post with my map. Seems like some good suggestions.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 07-21-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Definitely slow driving in VT, in part because of the roads and in party because of the drivers. Burlington is a worthwhile stop. Lake champlain and a cool little college town.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    In Vermont...

Lake Willoughby:

and the Hill Farmstead Brewery:

I agree that Portland Maine is worth a visit. Great food and beer.
    Thanks. Both of those suggestions right up my alley.

Hmmm. My wife has a good friend in Portland as well.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yeah, no bikes - it is just too much crap and doesn't work that good with the kids. This VT vs NH is the kind of info I need. Going out blind.
    FWIW, I find NH less appealing than VT. VT makes an effort to be more visually appealing as you drive around; no billboards, no big signs, less visually commercialized, more visually quaint.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    FWIW, I find NH less appealing than VT. VT makes an effort to be more visually appealing as you drive around; no billboards, no big signs, less visually commercialized, more visually quaint.
    more visually quaint?
    Vermont is not Stowe, guy.
    it's shithole podunks like Rutland, Barre, Newport, Springfield the list is deep.
    NH is more real, sure. it's also way more appealing with a shit-ton of mountains over 4g, lakes, ocean etc...

i'll second what shuss said about Mt Chocorua, great hike.
    i like Champney Falls trail.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Portland breweries - (cut-and-paste from beeradvocate.com)

Allagash Brewing Company - 50 Industrial Way, Portland
    Maine Beer Company - 525 US Route 1, Freeport
    Rising Tide Brewing Company - 103 Fox St, Portland
    D.L. Geary Brewing Company - 38 Evergreen Dr, Portland
    Sebago Brewing Company - 201 Southborough Dr, Scarborough
    Sebago Brewing Company - 211 Fore St, Portland
    Sebago Brewing Company - 29 Elm St, Gorham
    Sebago Brewing Company - 48 Sanford Dr, Gorham
    Peak Organic Brewing Company - 110 Marginal Way Ste 802, Portland
    Casco Bay Brewing Co. - 57 Industrial Way, Portland
    Shipyard Brewing Co. - 86 Newbury St, Portland
    Bunker Brewing Co. - 122 Anderson St, Portland
    Gritty McDuff's Brewing Company - 396 Fore St, Portland
    In'Finiti Fermentation & Distillation - 250 Commercial St, Portland

-snip-

That's a lot of breweries considering there's only 66,000 people in the city!

love the "what's prettier, NH or VT" argument. They're different. Vermont is softer, more rounded. NH is craggier, more rugged. Both nice. The topography's different is all. But to call out the shithole podunks in VT from NH is funny, like Manchester, Lebanon and Nashua are on anyone's must-see list.

i'm a fan of Gritty's, it's been there forever.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Hill Farmstead is getting a whole lot of respect among the hardcore beer geeks. Do your best to make a pit stop there if you're in the vicinity.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Just remember that it's tourist season and you'll be seeing more people from NY and Mass. on the coast of Maine than you will Mainers. Rt.1 will be slow with lots of traffic. The best time to visit the area is after school starts in September.

I always liked Flume Gorge.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Oh yeah, while in NH with kids it's kind of required to go to Story Land. Hope you like cheesy!

Since there will be a lot of driving, the finest Mountain Rd you will ever drive in the Northeast is the Kangamangas, or, Rt 112, between Lincoln, NH and Conway, NH. Work it in somehow.

Lake Placid is an unfortunate tourist mecca filled with consumption in the summer. There are tons of great hikes well marked off of roads nearby to escape that. I suggest the ones heading south to Mt. Marcy, but, if you want family friendly, there is a ton of info on the internet, with maps.

They should turn the bobsled run into a giant water slide. I'd hit that.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    Just remember that it's tourist season and you'll be seeing more people from NY and Mass. on the coast of Maine than you will Mainers. Rt.1 will be slow with lots of traffic. The best time to visit the area is after school starts in September.
    Just like Jackson Hole can seem in the winter especially if you ride the Gondi! Kind of a bummer but I have a ten year old stepson that I pull out of school every year for our snow ski trip so I can't do September unless we leave him home. Part of the reason I've never done the eastern mountain thing is because I love the vast open solitude that I find every year out west. Last year we were all alone in the Wind Rivers - literally. This year we're just going to have to join the Masses because I really want to check the area out.

For some reference - Waterbury, VT to Acadia is just shy of 7 hours of driving, with only a couple of stops. We do it every year and it doesn't get any shorter.

Oh, and, the best advice I can give you is respect local speed limits. 30 is 30, in a lot of places. And buy a radar detector, if you care to.

on your way over the 'Kanc', stop here for kickass swimming.
    Lincoln Woods/Franconia Falls
    crab in my shoe mouth

You're in for a long, long day if you are planning on doing anything other than driving up the auto road on your way from Stowe to Acadia. It's ~3 hours from Stowe to Mt. Washington, expect at least another 4 hours of driving to get to Acadia.