Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Santa Cruz Solo

Santa Cruz Solo

Anyone riding a Solo yet? Been starting to eye replacements for my Giant Trance X and the Solo is looking like a solid option for an all-around Colorado trail bike that climbs well while also being fun on the descents. Curious if anyone has been on one and had any thoughts, especially compared to a Tallboy LT or Bronson. Also wondering if anyone has thoughts on carbon versus aluminum versions; I've always been wary of carbon for a MTB but it sure seems like the carbon is the main game and the aluminum is an afterthought these days, at least in the Santa Cruz lineup.

Thanks...
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Don't know too much about the solo but just had the same debate with The carbon question...finally went with the carbon nomad and it is bomb proof. SC has a YouTube video up showing how much stronger it is than aluminum..the test that sold me was when they bashed it against a concrete wall over and over and it did only cosmetic damage.

Just sold my carbon Blur LT (in favor of a plain old aluminum turd) and I can say that SC carbon bikes are really durable. This bike was first in their demo fleet, then my buddy rode it for a season, and then I put 2.5 hard seasons on it. Lots of scratches, some very large nicks in the carbon and no issues with it at all.

Solo looks like a nice bike, a guy in my office has one and he sounds pretty psyched on it.

Here's the vid link. Favorite part is 5:00 in http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUB...%3DxreZdUBqpJs

Anyone got any comparison of the Solo versus the Bronson? I know the Bronson leans more towards downhill (slacker, higher bb) and the Solo towards climbing (lower bb, taller), but since I ride both uphill and downhill (imagine that!) I'm not sure which I should be leaning towards. Gonna try to demo both but haven't found a shop that has both in stock for demoing right now.

Check MTBR... there are probably a dozen threads on this subject over there.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Check MTBR... there are probably a dozen threads on this subject over there.
    I did, but I don't really know whose opinion to trust over there. Figured maybe there were some folks over here that I'd dealt with before who had thoughts. No worries if not.

Was hoping to do a demo day from Sports Garage on Sunday and take each out for a back-to-back spin around Marshall Mesa or Betasso, but they don't have a Solo for demo yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames11 View Post
    Here's the vid link. Favorite part is 5:00 in http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUB...%3DxreZdUBqpJs
    That was awesome. I've been holding onto carbon skepticism for way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by angry swede View Post
    That was awesome. I've been holding onto carbon skepticism for way too long.
    SWEDE!!!

rog

No Solo, but my Blur TRc has been awesome for near a year. Basically same geo, just 26" vs. 650b.

The carbonz fear was over within the first ride. Super solid feeling, no qualms about carbon at this point. Tape/pad up your wear points, and ride it. The only niggling little worry is about the lower pivot bits that hang down. I'm running an MRP AM-Guide that helps protect a bit, and just have a couple layers of mastic tape over the end nubbins that stick down. They need replacement once in a while, but that is cheap and easy if it helps protect that bit. May not be needed, but makes me feel better about it, carbon or no carbon.

I'm now doing stuff on it that had been previously reserved for the larger/slacker/heavier bike.

FWIW, mine replaced a Trance-X frame - which was a great bike, to be sure, but the TRc I'm happier with pretty much in every way.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I have ordered my frame and now start the month-long painful wait. The build will be as follows:

Large Solo Carbon (Black) w CTDa Kashima shock
    2013 Revelation RCT3 set at 140mm to start (white)
    CK red headset
    Chinese carbon 650b rims on CX-Ray spokes and (red) hope pro II evo hubs
    Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph rear - both 2.25 TL w Stan's
    Easton Haven Carbon 711mm bar
    Easton Haven 55mm or 70mm stem (not sure which one yet)
    Easton 33mm lock-on grips (white)
    Formula RX calipers w R1 levers - 180/160 (black/red)
    XT 10sp shifters
    XTR crankset (24, 34, white bash)
    Hope ceramic BB (red)
    XT trail pedals
    Reverb Stealth
    Hope seat post clamp (red)
    XT 3x10 front derailleur
    XT M786 clutch rear derailleur
    SRAM1051 chain
    XT cassette (11-36)
    WTB Silverado thinline (white)

I am coming from a medium Norco Sight LE 26er and am a little worried about losing some of the surprisingly good downhill performance of that bike so I hope this build will give me the playful trail charger I am looking for.

I will post thoughts / reviews once I get some saddle time on the new bike in the early fall

Nice build. Couple of questions:
    - why solo? Why not HDR?
    - carbon rims from light bicycle?
    - why formula stoppers no shimano?

I am looking to do a similar build but I cannot decide between the solo and hdr.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - why solo? Why not HDR?

I am looking to do a similar build but I cannot decide between the solo and hdr.

I have never ridden a mojo, but it did cross my mind. I am hoping to race some local enduro / xc stuff next year and I am trying to do it without a pack to the two bottle cages were appealing plus I am pretty happy with the deal I got on the soloC frame.

Rims are from LB - I have never run them, but a bunch of the guys that race in Fernie do and have had great success with them.

I am swapping parts over from my Sight which is why I am sticking with the formulas. I have not used the new Shimano stuff but it seems pretty solid. I switch from Avid X0s to the Formula setup I have and am really happy with the move so I did not see a reason to change - plus the color will match which makes my bike extra fast (and a little gay)

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - why solo? Why not HDR?

Funny, I've been having the same discussion in my head and am now leaning towards the HDR. I like that it's got a little higher BB and slightly slacker head angle, basically splitting the difference between the Solo and the Bronson. I'm also on a budget and the SLX parts kit for the HDR seems like a better deal than the Solo's RAM27 kit. I'll be swapping XT brakes off my existing bike (just bought them this year), so the brakes aren't a factor for me. Not a blingy kit, but I have no hope of spending $6K or more on a bike so I've gotta try to get it within budget with parts I can live with for a while and possibly upgrade later.

Good call on the bottle cages.

Yea... I have my entire build figured out but the frame. I want the trance but its $400 more than the boutique offerings.

Waiting for the xfusion sweep just to try something new.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Funny, I've been having the same discussion in my head and am now leaning towards the HDR. I like that it's got a little higher BB and slightly slacker head angle, basically splitting the difference between the Solo and the Bronson. I'm also on a budget and the SLX parts kit for the HDR seems like a better deal than the Solo's RAM27 kit. I'll be swapping XT brakes off my existing bike (just bought them this year), so the brakes aren't a factor for me. Not a blingy kit, but I have no hope of spending $6K or more on a bike so I've gotta try to get it within budget with parts I can live with for a while and possibly upgrade later.
    The BB and HA are the reasons I am planning on running the Revelation at 140mm. Should give me another .5 degree in slack up front and 5mm in BB height.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Funny, I've been having the same discussion in my head.
    Please finish this discussion sometime in the next decade.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Please finish this discussion sometime in the next decade.
    I know, it's so annoying that I'm discussing mountain bikes on a mountain bike discussion forum. My bad.

I am thinking a little of installing an angleset headset to slaken the geo a bit more on the solo. With the 140mm fork I am expecting to be around 67.5 degrees on the HA, but wondering if I should push it out another 0.5 degrees or a full 1 degree and go back to a 130mm fork at the 67 degree HA. Any thoughts from the collective?

^ I'm totally friggin stoked with a 140 revelation on my TRc, with the half inch higher hubs slacking out another half degree might make sense, but I haven't ridden the solo so I can't say for sure. If I was worried about it, I'd probably just let the fork out to 150.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

^ thanks for the feedback. I am pumped to try things out this fall.

Waiting for this frame is killing my wallet, I just bought an XX1 kit w/o cranks (thanks mntlion) and a Race Face narrow wide chainring for my XTR crankset. Can't wait to build this thing up and hit the trails.

I got to ride one of these today at the Wydaho Rendezvous: a medium carbon, built up with all XX1. Sweet. Nimble and very fast, very light. What's not to like, except the price tag- the tech quoted me $8,000, give or take. Ouch.

Other top performers in the taste test were the Rocky Mountain Instinct and Altitude. Also rode the Trek Remedy and Pivot 429: both very nice but not as crisp.

The new Rocky Mountain Transition looks really nice as well, but not yet available.

Incredible selection of bikes to be had: obviously Santa Cruz and Rocky Mountain, Trek, Specialized, Pivot, and Giant. Wow.

x2 on what Homemade said on the solo. Got a good ride in on one in the Big Hole. 1st little bike I've ridden in years, loved it. But alas, for the trails that I mostly ride the Bronson was more to my liking. Still though, the Solo did not dissapoint, been interested in a TRC for a while, the solo killed that interest.

You guys are not making my waiting any easier - sounds like it is a winner though, thanks for the insights.