Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School me on jet skis

Winter is for skiing, summer is for getting wet.

We ain't got mountains here but what we do got is water. Lots of it.

Looking to buy used.

What do I need to know?
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

They're loud and annoying, Luckily there prohibited in this county

Redneck toys that are really fun.

4 strokes are quiet, clean and fun, but really pricey.

Save your money, and borrow a buddys or just get a boat and throw your money into that hole in the water. Your ass will thank you, your friends will thank you (since they can now come along on your floating money pit) but no matter what you do your wallet will hate you.

my .02
    I still call it The Jake.

Fun if you get a stand up jetski. The sit down ones are like 4 wheelers, fun for a few rides then you want to let them be.

Get a boat

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Sea Doo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Sea Doo.
    If you go used get a four stroke. DO NOT under any circumstances buy an older Sea Doo two stroke. We have had three and they are not reliable, just tough tough duty. The engines run at 7000 rpm's and skipping across the water they rev high and then get slammed back down when the impeller gets traction again. The last time I took the one remaining one we have in for service, I asked about trading it in, local Sea Doo dealer would not take it in trade. The new ones are fine, run well don't use lake or sea water for cooling, are quiet etc etc. Change the one once a year and that is about all you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    They're loud and annoying
    Everybody hates people on jet skis.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Sea Doo's are fun for about 15 minutes. That is about all I can tolerate.

Grab a small bow rider boat, much more versatile, you can hang on it with friends in the middle if the lake, easier skiing/wake boarding.

If you live in a place where you can have a 2 stroke jet ski (Stand up, movable handlebars), do that. Chances are you can't, as they pretty much just leak oil into the water and are absurdly loud. If you are going to get a wave runner (Sit down), get a Yamaha. Unless this has changed over the past decade, Yamahas are the only ones with marine engines, not just engines with different seals on them.

If you're going to get a wave runner, get a 3 person 900 or more so you can tow a tube, skier, whatever, and have a flagger on the back.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Everybody hates people on jet skis.
    I used to work at a marina on the south shore of Long Island and every kid in the neighborhood would get a new Jet ski when he turned 12 or 13, All the parents would try to out do each other so they all got the biggest, fastest, most expensive jet ski available. Most of these kids were so small they couldn't even keep their feet on the deck when sitting on the seat let alone control them or had any clue about boating, They'd just get moms credit card fill them up, load up on Coke and candy then race around the bay aggravating boaters and people around the area. Now that I think about it, the only sounds you'd hear in the area was jet skis, leaf blowers, and loud crappy sounding car stereos.

You're much better off getting an older ski boat. You can ski, wakeboard, wakesurf, tube, foot or just throw a cooler in it and cruise.

Tons of clean used ones in southern Michigan/Northern Indiana that don't have a ton of hours.
    Something like this you can use a couple of years and probably sell it for about what you paid for it.

http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/3935686828.html

This is a little more, but will last 15 more years.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...autique-363585

This is the definitive guide to old Correct Crafts.
    http://www.correctcraftfan.com/

Obligatory

SFW version.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

my kawasaki ts built in 94' is awesome fun. ignore the haters and buzz the shit outta the old farts.
    b

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I grew up skiing behind one of those nautiques, open bow version, great boat. Bigger wake than a master craft but softer and a much smoother ride due to a slight bit more of a V hull.

One time I was following my parents on lake don Pedro because of a fair amount of driftwood, they were in the nautique, I was on a Yamaha wave raider with my best friend. For no discern able reason my dad stopped the boat while I was looking at the scenery. My buddy slaps me on the back and says, "look out!!!"

I gun it and turn hard left just in time to glance off the back left portion of the boat. About 4 feet in the air I look down and to my right to see my moms horrified face as we flew over her in the passenger seat. My dad never swears, but right then we heard every word you could imagine.

My buddy looks at me and says, "I know we almost killed your mom and your dads really upset, but that....was fucking AWESOME!"

I'll never forget that.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

mom too, huh.
    b

They're fun for about 1/2 hour... then meh. Like snowmobiling on a field.

Buy one, take out the engine and put on a sail.

Better yet, buy a Hobie, because jet skis are an abomination in the eyes of the lord.

certified old fart

The "Panty Dropper" is the only jet ski I'd be riding.

Hobie has a nice cat now, a big step up from the 14'ers he started out with.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-15094932.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	139613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-15094459.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	139614  

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    They're fun for about 1/2 hour... then meh. Like snowmobiling on a field.
    Generally agree. But we bought a bunch of boueys and set up a race course and did timed lap competitions. That was pretty damn fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Winter is for skiing

We ain't got mountains here but what we do got is water. Lots of it.
    I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than wonder where you ski if there are no mountains?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

They have these things called cars and planes these days man.

MI may not have mountains, but it puts out a ton of good skiers, snow & water.

I'd rather see my sister in a whore house, than my brother on a wave runner!

I think I'd go the pontoon boat route these days. I was just on one in Kentucky lake that had a decent sized motor on it. We tubed behind it, and when the old man couldn't toss me for a while he found an oceanliner lookin' muthafucka with a 6 foot wake, dude jumped the pontoon boat on this shit. I went flying but fell right back into the tube after being about 5 feet out of it. He gave up after that.