Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4frnt Devastator - reviews?

Looking at this ski for a daily driver next year but am struggling to find any reviews on it.

Anyone had some time on it?

I know nothing about the 4frnt Devastator but I can tell you the Wasatch Beer Devastator, a double bock with 8% alcohol RULES!

I have had quite a bit of time on it, It will be my daily driver for the next season. Has the maneuverability of the turbo with the greasyness of the renegade and hoji. so much fun! PM me with specific questions, i can help.

Soooo, 194 or 184? I ski the 189 Turbo.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by BskiP View Post
    I have had quite a bit of time on it, It will be my daily driver for the next season. Has the maneuverability of the turbo with the greasyness of the renegade and hoji. so much fun! PM me with specific questions, i can help.
    Good to hear some positive things, surprised there is not more talk around this ski. I am looking at it as an inbounds ski for those 3 days after a storm type days. So, how does it deal with chop and crud? The sidecut seems shorter than I was hoping for (25m in a 194), how does it feel on the snow, is it grabby at all?

The length issue; 184 is short for me at 6'2" and I would definitely need to get the 194. I guess cause of the reflect tech full rocker they built it a bit longer than the standard 187/188 on the yle, crj. Does it ski shorter? How is the swing weight? Thanks

The Blister guys are taking the Devestator to SA so they should have a nice review coming in the next month or two. Sounds like it could be the new Sickle. I love my turbos and am super stoked to hear more about these.

I'm interested to hear how these work. The Turbos were excellent, extremely versatile skis, stable in a wide array of conditions. I wonder if the full reverse camber on these will achieve the same prowess in variable snow. At least the full-length sidecut should hold a solid edge once tipped over.

I thought the camber on the Turbo was absolutely brilliant. You couldn't tell there was any rocker until de-cambering the midsection, making for a ski that was highly stable yet avoided tips and tails catching when pivoting. They felt like a good pair of GS skis, able to hold a good edge yet designed to feather into turns.

So the Turbo is gone...? I wish I had scooped up a couple pairs last spring when they were blowing them out. Favorite ski ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Soooo, 194 or 184? I ski the 189 Turbo.
    This is tgr. You know the answer

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Leisg View Post
    Looking at this ski for a daily driver next year but am struggling to find any reviews on it.

Anyone had some time on it?
    I had 1/2 a day on it last season, unfortunately my girlfriend hurt herself pretty bad and we spend the day in the ER with a possible broken neck. Fortunately she was ok, but I forgot just about all my specific thoughts on the ski, other then it was a pretty decent all-round ski. I thought it was a touch on the soft side, I'm 165lbs and I couldn't see guys approaching 200lbs liking the ski. I was hoping to demo it again this fall, but bought a pair of end of year blowout Renegades instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderkind View Post
    So the Turbo is gone...? I wish I had scooped up a couple pairs last spring when they were blowing them out. Favorite ski ever.
    They popped up at $260 last night on BC.com, but I was on insecure wifi. Logged on this morning from secure site with credit card ready, but now $325 and only short lengths. Damn !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

My 194s arrived today. I'm a big fan of the renegades (both 12 and 13 models) and find them to have the perfect amount of rocker. Regarding to the Hoji, I was on the fence most of last season and really wanted a pair to compliment the rens on smaller days. I just couldn't pull the trigger though as the hoji rocker profile always looked a little too extreme and flex a tad too soft. In contrast, the Devastators have a stiffer flex and less pronounced rocker (though 4frnt suggest this is not the case). That said, I have no idea what the real world differences are between the two but for now I'm satisfied with my choice.

Anyone with time on these yet? I'm debating mount locations as the recommended line is -5 from true center. Any point in going -1 (-6 from true center) or is -5 the spot? Oh yeah, I'm 6'2" 185lb and plan to use these as a daily driver (have renegade 196 for pow).

I have done 6 days on a pair of 194cm Devastators in early Feb Colorado. I'm 6'2"" 210lbs. I had demo'd the 184cm last year and found them too short but loved them. They handle the groomers better than expected, but their sweet spot is crud and any depth of pow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    They popped up at $260 last night on BC.com, but I was on insecure wifi. Logged on this morning from secure site with credit card ready, but now $325 and only short lengths. Damn !
    I have fond memories of ur posts but I must say how pussy you are for the whole unsecured wifi thing. This isn't the eastern block
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Not a review, but here's a little video I filmed last week on the Devastators in Switzerland...enjoy. BTW I fuckin love those skis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSXPuNB_FE
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by teosickrider View Post
    Not a review, but here's a little video I filmed last week on the Devastators in Switzerland...enjoy. BTW I fuckin love those skis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSXPuNB_FE
    Teo -

Cool vid. What length are you on and where did you mount them? I have been thinking about a pair of 184s for the east coast but don't get along with more centered mounting points, which these have.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

I realize this is an older thread, but here's a review I did based on my season on the 194: http://earlyups.com/review-4frnt-devastator/

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Teo -

Cool vid. What length are you on and where did you mount them? I have been thinking about a pair of 184s for the east coast but don't get along with more centered mounting points, which these have.
    Hei Smails,
    they're mounted on the recommended line, I wouldn't move the bindings. I find them really really easy on every kind of terrain. I already tried them on east coast type of terrain too (icy snow, tight trees...) and I had absolutely no problems. I'm 176 and the 184 feels perfect. You can't really tell they're a full rocker ski...
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by teosickrider View Post
    mounted on the recommended line, I wouldn't move the bindings. I find them really really easy on every kind of terrain. I already tried them on east coast type of terrain too (icy snow, tight trees...) and I had absolutely no problems. I'm 176 and the 184 feels perfect. You can't really tell they're a full rocker ski...
    Fully agree. I mounted my 184s at recommended which is -5cm from center. Feels perfect there and I totally overthink mount positions. Skiied these in slush and solid ice, no probs, easy and maneuverable, great ski. They like you to stay centered/forward, and the rocker is sweet to pop off little features, easy to turn/slarve, likes going fast. Felt right at home on the first. day I am 5'7", 170lbs and 184cm feels right. My other skis are 185cm Nordica Helldorados (-4), 185cm Nordica Bushy Waynes(-5) and 177cm 4FRNT Wises (-0.5).

KC

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Fully agree. I mounted my 184s at recommended which is -5cm from center. Feels perfect there and I totally overthink mount positions.
    kc_7777 (and others): did you end up continuing to like the Devastator mounted on the line?

I just picked up some 194s (I'm 6ft4 & 80kg) to use as my everyday ski. I have Bent Chetlers for when it's deep, and 198 Katanas for skiing flat-out when there is space to do so but they're a lot of work on some days. Picked up 191 Katanas cheap last year which I ended up skiing a lot of the time but those will be my rock skis now and I'm hoping the Devastator will ski like a more playful, more centre-mounted Katana I can ski in any soft of soft snow under 20-25cm, otherwise the Bent Chetlers will come out.

Both pairs of Katanas are at +2, so about -11 from true centre (non-twintip tail though). Hopefully the Devastators will get me spinning off stuff again on a daily basis but I don't want to go too far forward and ruin how they ski; I kind of want to be as far forward as I can. What do you think? Could I get away with +1 or +2 or would that ski like shit most of the time?

I haven't had the chance to mess around on the Devastators too much from a mounting point perspective, but I find that almost all 4FRNTs are pretty good on the line for general free-riding and some flippy-spinny stuff. I've moved the mount forward on a few different skis (CRJ, VCT, MSP), and have never thought it added more than I lost.

YMMV obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    kc_7777 (and others): did you end up continuing to like the Devastator mounted on the line?

I just picked up some 194s (I'm 6ft4 & 80kg) to use as my everyday ski. I have Bent Chetlers for when it's deep, and 198 Katanas for skiing flat-out when there is space to do so but they're a lot of work on some days. Picked up 191 Katanas cheap last year which I ended up skiing a lot of the time but those will be my rock skis now and I'm hoping the Devastator will ski like a more playful, more centre-mounted Katana I can ski in any soft of soft snow under 20-25cm, otherwise the Bent Chetlers will come out.

Both pairs of Katanas are at +2, so about -11 from true centre (non-twintip tail though). Hopefully the Devastators will get me spinning off stuff again on a daily basis but I don't want to go too far forward and ruin how they ski; I kind of want to be as far forward as I can. What do you think? Could I get away with +1 or +2 or would that ski like shit most of the time?
    I am 6'4' and weigh a 205 lbs and skied the 194 Devastator last year... Love the ski and actually for once pretty much agree with everything Blister wrote about them... I mounted my STH 16s on the recommended line and love them there... Ski them centered or drive the tips and the skis behaved fine... I did not play with mounting points as I am a wuss and go with recommended 90% of the time... If you are thinking of moving it I would hit up 4Frnt as they were extremely helpful in mounting my 196 Renegades...

You got a great ski and does a killer job all over the mountain and in variable conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    If you are thinking of moving it I would hit up 4Frnt as they were extremely helpful in mounting my 196 Renegades
    Yep, I'm trying to get in contact with Thayne Rich whose profile on 4FRNT's site mentions his involvement with the Devastator's development.

Future people: ask me where I ended up going and I'll tell you what I found.