Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1700
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post

I dunno what to say, man.
    POOR THINGS was incredibly derivative to me in regards to cribbing the aesthetics of Terry Gilliam (specifically Brazil) and Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet (specifically City of Lost Children).
    The story was cool, but the delivery left me cold.
    I am eager to read the source novel by Alastair Grey, though…

Yorgos Lanthimos’s previous films—Alps, Dogtooth, The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Favourite—are alll stellar imho.
    This one just fell short of all the hype for me.
    It was just a little too horny and too weird for me.

POOR THINGS was incredibly derivative to me in regards to cribbing the aesthetics of Terry Gilliam (specifically Brazil) and Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet (specifically City of Lost Children).
    I am eager to read the source novel by Alastair Grey, though…

Yorgos Lanthimos’s previous films—Alps, Dogtooth, The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Favourite—are alll stellar imho.
    This one just fell short of all the hype for me.
    Huh. Interesting. Trailer definitely makes it look right up my alley (of course I'm also a big fan of Gilliam, Caro and Jeunet)

Do you think your expectations were set too high because of the hype and previous works of Lanthimos? I'll have to check it out for myself anyway. Cast seems great. Will dial back my expectations to a Dookey 2 thumbs down and go from there. Haha. Lobster has been on my list of things to watch for a while. I should watch that one next. Thoughts?

RE: Poor Things

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Do you think your expectations were set too high because of the hype and previous works of Lanthimos? I'll have to check it out for myself anyway. Cast seems great. Will dial back my expectations to a Dookey 2 thumbs down and go from there. Haha. Lobster has been on my list of things to watch for a while. I should watch that one next. Thoughts?
    Oh, most definitely in regards to my expectations. They were pretty high given how much I have really enjoyed Lanthimos’s previous work.

I highly recommend The Lobster, but it’s overall vibe is much darker and more cynical than Poor Things.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

THE TEACHERS’ LOUNGE
    If this German film is playing near you I humbly recommend you go see it if you can.
    Fantastically paced, great use of music to create tension, and relevant socio/political elements make for an intense and introspective watch.

It would make a cool double-feature with Dream Scenario methinks…
    Then again, it might make for an entertaining match-up with Kindergarten Cop, as well…

Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgQBGqhTcM

Color me intrigued by the trailer for DOGMAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJSX_o-MvYs

Official site:
    https://www.dogmanthefilm.com/
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 02-25-2024 at 08:46 AM.

2024, the year of the animal men?

MONKEY MAN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zxiB5Qhsc

Official site:
    https://www.monkeyman.movie/
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 02-26-2024 at 10:51 AM.

Monkey Man looks so good

Ok, saw a late-night showing of Dune 2 last night. I will wait a bit to share many specifics to not spoil anything, but holy hell is Dennis Villeneuve a phenomenal movie maker. Between the two Dunes and Bladerunner he creates such epic scales and visuals while holding the films together with actual plot and emotions. Zendaya and Challumet are also great, and Rebecca Ferguson is my new actress crush.

I will say it doesn't follow the book as closely as the first movie which threw me off a bit, but that's mostly on me going in with expectations vs. just watching it.

I will try to see it again for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GHg24knWMAAO2Q4.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	488831

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Ok, saw a late-night showing of Dune 2 last night. I will wait a bit to share many specifics to not spoil anything, but holy hell is Dennis Villeneuve a phenomenal movie maker. Between the two Dunes and Bladerunner he creates such epic scales and visuals while holding the films together with actual plot and emotions. Zendaya and Challumet are also great, and Rebecca Ferguson is my new actress crush.

I will say it doesn't follow the book as closely as the first movie which threw me off a bit, but that's mostly on me going in with expectations vs. just watching it.

I will try to see it again for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GHg24knWMAAO2Q4.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	488831

I am a fan of DV’s work with the exception of Prisoners and,
    quite frankly, I was kinda meh about Dune.

That said, I have seen the trailer for Dune: Part 2 at least half a dozen times now on the big screen and it gave me the chills each time.

Not gonna be able to see it until next week at the earliest due to weather, though.

If you can track down his early Canadian films, they are really good (imho):
    Cosmos
    Maelstrom
    Polytecnique
    Incendies
    Enemy

The Mad Max series is in theaters (specifically Cinemark/Century chains) this week starting today.

Mad Max
    Tues and Sat

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    Wed and Sat

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    Thurs and Sun

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Fri and Sun

The Mad Max series is in theaters (specifically Cinemark/Century chains) this week starting today.

Mad Max
    Tues and Sat

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    Wed and Sat

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    Thurs and Sun

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Fri and Sun
    That sounds epic!!! Definitely one of my favorite movie marathons for sure. That said, if you haven't yet seen Dune pt 2 on IMAX, then do so. NOW!!! Esp if you have 70mm nearby but dual laser ain't bad either.

I'm legitimately still buzzing from it.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using TGR Forums mobile app

That said, if you haven't yet seen Dune pt 2 on IMAX, then do so. NOW!!! Esp if you have 70mm nearby but dual laser ain't bad either.

I'm legitimately still buzzing from it.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, sadly no 70mm screenings near me and our local IMAX has the most uncomfortable, ratty ass seats imaginable.
    Prolly just gonna settle for “regular” digital projection with posh, comfy ass seats instead. But prolly not til next week given our current weather and my work schedule.

Yeah, sadly no 70mm screenings near me and our local IMAX has the most uncomfortable, ratty ass seats imaginable.
    Prolly just gonna settle for “regular” digital projection with posh, comfy ass seats instead. But prolly not til next week given our current weather and my work schedule.
    Double up the edibles, and there you go!

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Even if you gotta put up with the most awful seats, you gotta trust me on this one. Filmed for IMAX this time around so meant for a 1.43:1 presentation. The regular screens will be rocking a CROPPED 2.39:1. It actually makes a legitimate difference on this one. You are THERE on Arrakis and Giedi Prime. Speaking of which, the way they portrayed the Harkonnen homeworld with its black sun is absolutely other worldly (the intent). They filmed it in infrared! I've never seen anything quite like it. Travel if you must if you truly require seats that don't completely blow. Haha.

https://www.tomsguide.com/entertainm...20each%20frame.

Ok. Finally got around to watching Poor Things and I gotta say... I have to agree with you. It's like it was trying to do something in between Wes Anderson and Baz Luhrmann. Or like you said, Gilliam and Caro/Jeunet. Something just seemed more forced about its presentation than the aforementioned. There WERE some highlights for sure. Like that dance with Stone and Ruffalo. I liked the acting overall. Of course they had to get a bit too on the nose for my liking with some of the themes they were trying to convey as Hollywood has been prone to doing lately. Like, where they outright spell out the point they're trying to make in the dialogue. I always found that a bit cheesy, but maybe that's just me. Definitely didn't shy away from the WTF factor! I've always had a pretty strong tolerance for the absurd and the macabre, but I might've found my limits with this one. Definitely made to make you feel uncomfortable (one would hope) and perhaps is trying to make a point about the boorishness of men, but good golly. A little restraint might've been appreciated. Prolly shoulda gotten an NC-17 rating as this one is a pretty extreme even for an R movie. Pro tip: Do NOT watch this one with your family. Perhaps not even your significant other. Could get awkward. Haha.

Ok. Finally got around to watching Poor Things and I gotta say... I have to agree with you. It's like it was trying to do something in between Wes Anderson and Baz Luhrmann. Or like you said, Gilliam and Caro/Jeunet. Something just seemed more forced about its presentation than the aforementioned. There WERE some highlights for sure. Like that dance with Stone and Ruffalo. I liked the acting overall. Of course they had to get a bit too on the nose for my liking with some of the themes they were trying to convey as Hollywood has been prone to doing lately. Like, where they outright spell out the point they're trying to make in the dialogue. I always found that a bit cheesy, but maybe that's just me. Definitely didn't shy away from the WTF factor! I've always had a pretty strong tolerance for the absurd and the macabre, but I might've found my limits with this one. Definitely made to make you feel uncomfortable (one would hope) and perhaps is trying to make a point about the boorishness of men, but good golly. A little restraint might've been appreciated. Prolly shoulda gotten an NC-17 rating as this one is a pretty extreme even for an R movie. Pro tip: Do NOT watch this one with your family. Perhaps not even your significant other. Could get awkward. Haha.
    Too horny and too weird! But also pretty fun

Too horny and too weird! But also pretty fun
    Weird, I'm down with, but yeah. Def too horny. Normally I wouldn't mind that so much BUT given the very premise of the story I found it grotesque. Again, I believe that was kind of the point, but def put a damper on the whole experience for me. Still, I liked it overall, but not sure it should've been nominated for so many Oscars IMO. Best costume design and best production design? Absolutely. Best picture tho? No way. Definitely overrated IMO considering all the nominations it got. I'd give it perhaps a 6 out of 10.

The academy loves it when hot people play ugly

The academy loves it when hot people play ugly
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Got tipped off to this in another thread:

https://collider.com/rad-fathom-events-screenings/

Rad returns to theaters on 3/21. Hulk Hogan eat your heart out!

I did like Poor Things because it was so fucking weird. The dance sequence (with the band's "classical" "music") was genius . The score was whackjob/cool/fun. At times atonal, dissedent but fitting. I've loved Dafoe since To Live and Die in LA and this was no exception. The plot was solid but absurd, the ending satisfying. Also loved the strange animals and the fact that it took a character out of an old classic science fiction (was it the first) story and ran with it. My wife and I looked at each other at the end, laughed, and agreed "that was superfun and weird as fuck". Oscar worthy performance for the lead.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I did like Poor Things because it was so fucking weird. The dance sequence (with the band's "classical" "music") was genius . The score was whackjob/cool/fun. At times atonal, dissedent but fitting. I've loved Dafoe since To Live and Die in LA and this was no exception. The plot was solid but absurd, the ending satisfying. Also loved the strange animals and the fact that it took a character out of an old classic science fiction (was it the first) story and ran with it. My wife and I looked at each other at the end, laughed, and agreed "that was superfun and weird as fuck". Oscar worthy performance for the lead.
    Indeed, the performances were top notch all the way around. Emma Stone was incredible, as was Mark Ruffalo. You had to feel kind of bad for Ramy Youssef's character, Max McCandles. He really sold it with his performance there. Poor guy simpin' to the very end. Dafoe was practically born for his role in this as well. Haha. Loved that dance scene:

I enjoyed but didn't love it.

Stone and Defoe were incredible, however. Especially Stone. The early scenes in the movie where she was still very infantile were really well done.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

MARCH MAXNESS

I have been digging revisiting the Mad Max series this week at the cinema.
    Been skiing in the day and then getting my pockylypse action on in the evenings.

Fury Road is on the docket for tonight.

This weekend is the last hoorah, if you wanna go full Rockatansky.

Details here:
    https://www.cinemark.com/misc/movie-...march-maxness/

MARCH MAXNESS

I have been digging revisiting the Mad Max series this week at the cinema.
    Been skiing in the day and then getting my pockylypse action on in the evenings.

Fury Road is on the docket for tonight.

This weekend is the last hoorah, if you wanna go full Rockatansky.

Details here:
    https://www.cinemark.com/misc/movie-...march-maxness/
    Too fun! Skiing and Mad Max?! Life doesn't get much better than that.

I always love re-watching that series. Each one is just so different than the other that each one stands alone quite well. I always found marathoning them way less exhausting and tedious than with other IP. Plus, you just can't beat Tina Turner as Aunty Entity! Haha. See: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...61#post7023961