Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Hugh Conway Guest
    EVERYTHING IS AWESOME WHEN YOU'RE LIVING THE DREAM

so's the Lego movie

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I'm excited to watch Wes Anderson's 'Budapest hotel' ...looks like one of his better films...

Also want to watch 'Noah' at the Imax 3D
    The Grand Budapest Hotel is fucking HILARIOUS!

Even has a killer ski scene. HA!

Edge of Tomorrow - total scifi escapism. Loved it.

Godzilla was rad. Though a buddy of mine is an EOD tech who complained about his his job getting unfairly portrayed in the Hurt Locker. Can't wait ti hear what he has to say about Godzirra.

Anyone seen Jon Favreau's "Chef"? I expected to like the film given my interests, but was totally blown away. For a plot that's very light on conflict, it still comes across as an inspiring and extremely happy story. Highly recommended!

Agreed - loved Chef. Confirmed my belief that even a simple movie, if done with skill and commitment, can be a major event.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDirt View Post
    Anyone seen Jon Favreau's "Chef"? I expected to like the film given my interests, but was totally blown away. For a plot that's very light on conflict, it still comes across as an inspiring and extremely happy story. Highly recommended!
    Jacked to see this. If the wife ever surrenders the Netflix password.

^only hearing universally positive praise for Chef.

that said, I finally got around to seeing Godzilla. I was a bit disappointed. The FX are great, but the story and the character development were severely lacking. Not sure why Hollywood can't make a giant monster movie that has intriguing human characters, a compelling story, and somewhat intelligent dialogue.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Not in theaters any more but I don't watch too many movies so I'm gonna post them it here. I really enjoyed the unforgiven remake with ken watanabe. It's subtitled, but that's never bothered me. The setting is different from most of the movies I've seen set in japan, I've never heard or seen a mention of the Ainu before.

And I liked Calvary with Brendan gleeson. Though it looks like that one isn't out yet so I'm not sure how I watched it at my friend's house. It's pretty bleak, with a few unexpected bits.

Watched 'snowpiercer' last nite. great traditional Asian story masquerading as a sci-fi flick. It had more to do with social classes and the have/have-nots, Than a post-apocalyptic world. I could see some of you (not named dookie) hating it. ....definition left me saying "wtf?!" A record amount of times.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

1. I actually don't think that the Japanese re-envisioning of Unforgiven has been given a proper theatrical release other than playing a few select festivals.

2. And according to IMDb, Calvary doesn't have a US release until August.

3. Most of my friends who have seen Snowpiercer say that it's entertaining. I'm intrigued, but also cautious, since I didn't care much for the director's previously lauded film, The Host. That said, there was a big hullabaloo surrounding it as the Weinstein Brothers were attempting to drastically edit the director's original cut for American audiences. Have since heard that they came to an agreement with the director and the original cut is what's out now.

Yeah there were a few showings in May at the Seattle film fest.

And I haven't gotten an answer from my friend but I'm gonna assume it was pirated in some manner or another. It looked like normal dvd/home theater pc quality. And the movie was still good.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Watched 'snowpiercer' last nite. great traditional Asian story masquerading as a sci-fi flick...
    'cept that the source material it's based on is a French graphic novel from the '80s...

Finally saw it last night in Nevada City, of all places. Overall I enjoyed it, although I felt it could have used a little more exposition in the set-up/intro.

The action sequences were nuts. Lottsa elements borrowed from the likes of Escape From New York, Road Warrior, Wizard of Oz, 1984, and other films/books.

I took my 80 y/o dad along and he loved it. He thought the acting and special effects were top-notch,

Definitely one of the better action films to hit screens this spring/summer.

And, yeah, there's some socio-political undertones to keep you thinking after it has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    'cept that the source material it's based on is a French graphic novel from the '80s....
    Ya, I "misspoke" meant it had that unique action style many Asian films have.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    get paid

Wow ....... I think I must have necrotic brain tissue. Wasn't that impressed with Snowpiercer - think it was the superficial character development which I realize was done consciously, but still .... Was hoping that Allison Pill would impress - she died nicely, though.

As for the Lego Movie - must be a generational thing, being a Lincoln Logs and Erector Set kid myself; had to fight to keep from leaving the room prematurely.

Maybe Lucy or Guardians of the Galaxy will revivify my shriveled brain cells. High hopes for Calvary - really liked The Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Wow ....... I think I must have necrotic brain tissue. Wasn't that impressed with Snowpiercer - think it was the superficial character development which I realize was done consciously, but still .... Was hoping that Allison Pill would impress - she died nicely, though.

As for the Lego Movie - must be a generational thing, being a Lincoln Logs and Erector Set kid myself; had to fight to keep from leaving the room prematurely.

Maybe Lucy or Guardians of the Galaxy will revivify my shriveled brain cells. High hopes for Calvary - really liked The Guard.
    Agree that the characters were rather stock in Snowpiercer, plus the story was cobbled from elements of Road Warrior, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Escape From New York, The Wizard of Oz, and 1984 (to name just a few), but the pacing was great, the acting pretty solid, and the action sequences well choreographed and intense. Also the CGI didn't suck as it usually does in a lot of Asian films.

Am equally intrigued by Lucy (although Luc Besson's films have been slightly suspect over the past decade-and-change, especially those he's been writing/producing. Was a little disappointed with The Family, his first directing stint in awhile, but again, Lucy looks intriguing). Ditto for Guardians of the Galaxy, though I fear it will either be awesome beyond compare or completely sucky. Don't know how I missed that Calvary is directed by the same chap that brought us The Guard, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Just saw a poster for The Novemeber man. Looks like it could be interesting given the cast and director...

Lucy: entertaining but nothing to get too excited about.

Saw 'Chef' tonight to a surprisingly packed theater. Very immersive film with lots of heart, funny, with a great soundtrack.

You're going to want to eat after this film.... Where can I get a great Cuban sandwich in VT?!!
    get paid

Sooo .... Calvary's released, but it's only playing in 4 FUCKING THEATERS IN THE ENTIRE GODDAM COUNTRY?!?!? WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS????

A Most Wanted Man: only see it if you you are patient and of the Le Carre persuasion i.e. loving of the factoids. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the recent Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy re-make.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Lucy: entertaining but nothing to get too excited about.
    Kind of have to agree here.
    The film is an amalgamation of ideas previously put forth in "Flowers for Algernon", The Lawnmower Man, and 2001 A Space Odyssey, amongst others.
    That said, the first 1/3 of the film is really well done, has great pacing and action. Sadly, things start to disintegrate during the second 1/3.
    On the whole it felt as if it had been severely edited to appeal to the short attention span Hollywood seems to feel most Americans possess; in many places the film seemed overly rushed.
    Call it a pretty decent modern drive-in feature, if you will.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy with my 11yo son on Monday night. We were both highly entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Saw Guardians of the Galaxy with my 11yo son on Monday night. We were both highly entertained.
    Recently saw GotG, as well.
    Super fun cinematic romp with nods to Firefly, Battle Beyond the Stars, The Last Starfighter, and Star Wars. While the story is not highly original, the film has great pacing, a terrific cast that gels together nicely, and a tasty throwback soundtrack. The whip snap pacing and cheeky dialogue go a long way to making it a hoot. Easily one of the best "summer" action movies to come down the pike in a long, long time. I'd pay to see it again, perhaps even in 3D.

I thought guardians was awesome - so funny and well done. Wondered about Chris Pratt pulling off role but he is right up there with RDJ for bringing the superhero laughs.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Yup! x4 here! Saw GotG yesterday and it way exceeded my expectations. Sorry now I didn't fork the extra $3 for 3D.
    Read Fantastic Four comics as a kid and the Ronan character was portrayed perfectly.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Saw GOTG in 3D here on Tuesday night. I was also very entertained. My wife thought some of the jokes were kind of corny but she is often too serious about stuff .
    The way all of the Marvel Studio's movies are tying together also brings a lot of intrigue into watching the movie. The Infinity Stones back bone is a pretty cool concept to pull off.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/