Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    BIRDMAN
    Nothing like I expected it to be (the trailer really doesn't shed any light as to what you should expect, btw, which is great), but totally mind-bending, imho. The underlying thematic questions the validity of Hollywood actors and big-budget movie franchises versus good, old-fashioned stage acting. But it also comments on the recent practise of big name Hollywood actors taking on Broadway starring roles as if to validate their talents. But that's merely the superficial undertones of the film; it also explores the validity of actors and how they can stay relevant as they get older and stop trending on social networks and quick fix news shows. But that's not even what the film is really about. It's ultimately a head-trip tour de force teeming with an insanely great cast, some genuine WTF moments, incredible cinematography, and a propulsive score.
    Best film that the director, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu has made since Amores Perros and one of the few films I've seen in recent memory where I wanted to stay in my seat and immediately watch it again.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Man, the theaters don't usually get me interested, rather wait for DVD/ray, but there is finally a pretty exciting slate of films out there.

Interstellar - solid piece of work.
    Have to see again I think.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Man, the theaters don't usually get me interested, rather wait for DVD/ray, but there is finally a pretty exciting slate of films out there.
    Nightcrawler and Birdman are making my "Best of 2014" list for sure.

And both Whiplash and Foxcatcher look intriguing.

Still need to see Fury and Gone Girl, plus Interstellar is on the list, as well (even though I didn't really dig Inception, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight Rises all that much, Dark Knight, The Following, Insomnia, and Memento still make Nolan a draw for me). Also, Big Hero 6, at least from the trailer, shows promise.

Saw the trailer for Inherent Vice today and that looks to have a solid cast and could be good (will definitely need to finish the novel now). Then again, bringing Thomas Pynchon to the big screen could be tricky (albeit Paul Thomas Anderson is directing and wrote the script and his last two films were stellar).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Inceptionstellar was a solid flick. Definitely kept me entertained for the whole 3 hours. Hard to fully understand after one watch, but after some reading afterwards it made more sense. The cinematography and CG was top-notch. Some parts of the plot got a little too WTF, but I expected that.

Really want to see Nightcrawler and have heard from multiple people/places now that John Wick is a good watch.

Interstellar was steadily captivating and entertaining. I haven't walked out of a movie in a bit that didn't feel like a bit of a waste of time/money (primarily because my couch is so comfy).

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Inceptionstellar was a solid flick. Definitely kept me entertained for the whole 3 hours. Hard to fully understand after one watch, but after some reading afterwards it made more sense. The cinematography and CG was top-notch. Some parts of the plot got a little too WTF, but I expected that.

Really want to see Nightcrawler and have heard from multiple people/places now that John Wick is a good watch.
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Drifted between parts that wre like c'mon with the dialogue (namely basic science explanations) and really heavy emotional scenes as well as some solid plot twists. Was laughing when Matthew was channeling rusty cole sitting cross legged with his daughters notebook.

With the chick who played his older daughter had a performance a little closer to her Osama bin laden movie one.

Also, I still don't understand how gravity works in the way it did in that film. Had a couple other open ended aspects but I don't want to spoil for others. Good film fornsure.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

saw birdman on a whim ok ms mt made me. thought it sucked. Badly. Don't really care what statement it is making, just was not entertaining.

reading Gone Girl and am fired up for the movie. Thought about 200 pages in jezus chirst this lady writer hates men. Then...
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Drifted between parts that wre like c'mon with the dialogue (namely basic science explanations) and really heavy emotional scenes as well as some solid plot twists. Was laughing when Matthew was channeling rusty cole sitting cross legged with his daughters notebook.

With the chick who played his older daughter had a performance a little closer to her Osama bin laden movie one.

Also, I still don't understand how gravity works in the way it did in that film. Had a couple other open ended aspects but I don't want to spoil for others. Good film fornsure.
    Have you seen Neil Degrasse Tyson's twitter posts/review?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Have you seen Neil Degrasse Tyson's twitter posts/review?
    No just read that he thought it was mostly accurate
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Just read it. That guy has some serious wit for a super nerd

Interstellar is the most ridiculous movie I've sat through in years. And I've given up on that Matthew McConaughey dude. Gave him a few chances, but, man, he is irritating as hell with his overacting.

Saw Interstellar over the weekend. Really wanted to see it, really regretted wasting the time afterward. Terrible script, wooden acting (every character is one-dimensional; lots of good acting talent wasted here), poor pacing. Overall a mix of nonsense and plot holes.

Also, this is the first "real" movie I've seen in IMAX. Dunno if that was the reason, but it was really REALLY loud, to the point of painful and distracting.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Interstellar is the most ridiculous movie I've sat through in years. And I've given up on that Matthew McConaughey dude. Gave him a few chances, but, man, he is irritating as hell with his overacting.
    Even after True Detective??

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Even after True Detective??
    Especially after true detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Especially after true detective.
    Now that is just plain wrong - though interstellar had no great acting from anyone, to say that the dood didn't hit it out of the park in TrueD and DBClub makes me wonder if you were awake when you saw them.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I didn't care for Interstellar either. At first it was because of a bunch of technical details but later I realized that the main plot point is retarded. SPOILER AHEAD DON'T READ: all we need to quickly create a unified theory is data from inside a black hole? And with a unified theory in hand we can suddenly evacuate the planet? When do the pigs start flying?

Thanks to North Korea, Fury is all over the torrents sites.
    It was no private ryan but was a good war story based on the perspective of the guys in the tanks.

Interstellar was OK but could have been a lot more in the end.

Traffic on the commute home was so backed up that I pulled off at a theater and watched Fury rather than spend the time staring at the car in front of me. Massively disappointing at the end. Pretty good up until the final battle sequence, at which point I found myself palming my forehead in disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    Traffic on the commute home was so backed up that I pulled off at a theater and watched Fury rather than spend the time staring at the car in front of me. Massively disappointing at the end. Pretty good up until the final battle sequence, at which point I found myself palming my forehead in disbelief.
    I agree 100%.

Saw Mr. Turner last weekend. The cinematography was phenomenal (made you feel like you were in a painting at times). And, the actor who turns into a rat in the Harry Potter movies was pretty incredible. Obviously released in time for Oscar season but I can't think of any other actor this year who is more deserving. Storyline and plot is kind of week but that is overshadowed by the acting.

Big Eyes was surprisingly bland, considering the subject. Still, a nice few hours in the cinema.

Wild - great movie. Anyone who has done any long distance hiking will love it. Same director as DBC, and I see this contending in a few categories for Oscar(s) .

Well, this is obvious, but Night At The Museum (III) was a true piece of shit!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The Imitation Game was solid.