Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I liked End of Watch.
    Yo! bobby, dude...CURRENT movie thread.

I liked it as well. Now on Netflix streaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

watched wolverine last evening. I don't really know what to think... It certainly was better than the last one, but still could have been better. they always ruin these movies with the god-damn love interests.

I'd give it a partially erect rating
    get paid

Hmmm "better than the last one" isnt really saying much..

So, is your rating 1/4 erect? Or half mast. big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Hmmm "better than the last one" isnt really saying much..

So, is your rating 1/4 erect? Or half mast. big difference
    ha, that was the joke. the first one was a pile of steaming shit!

i'd give it a 3/5 for not enough cool action, kinda dumb ending.
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I liked End of Watch.
    If you just saw this in a theater, you must live in Latvia. That said, I really enjoyed it. Great dialogue and solid acting. Not a "thinking" movie but very entertaining, none the less.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Saw a screening for "We're the Millers" last night. Definitely this summer's must-see comedy and incredibly funny. Jen Aniston makes every women in their 40s hate her.

SPOILER ALERT dont read if you want to see Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    i'd give it a 3/5 for not enough cool action, kinda dumb ending.
    Which ending? the lame one on the plane? or the one after some of the credits had rolled with Magneto and Professor X???

or just the stupid fight with the giant conputer generated, somehow all adamantium, robot samurai with the flaming swords who could somehow steal Logans regenerative powers through his claws???

END SPOILER I'd give it 1/4 erect. the fight on top of the bullet train made it move a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    SPOILER ALERT dont read if you want to see Wolverine

Which ending? the lame one on the plane? or the one after some of the credits had rolled with Magneto and Professor X???

or just the stupid fight with the giant conputer generated, somehow all adamantium, robot samurai with the flaming swords who could somehow steal Logans regenerative powers through his claws???

END SPOILER I'd give it 1/4 erect. the fight on top of the bullet train made it move a little bit
    The stupid fight with the cg samurai. Dum way to end. Like a frail old guy could take those kinds of falls or hits, even in a suit...

Train scene was cool Tho.

Must see suggestion of the summer: 'the way, way back'

Funny and endearing. Nice to take a break from the summer fluff and watch a great movie with soul
    get paid

The Conjuring was a solid flick. I recommend it

I agree with Pet...The way way back was very good.
    The kid with the eye patch was hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Only God Forgives: A 4 minute music video turned into a 90 minute movie by extending every cut.
    Seriously.
    I had some high expectations, but was disappointed. At least I had some good beers while watching it so not a complete waste

Hugh Conway Guest
    on the better: Wasteland - brit crime flick. enjoyable, not fantastic.

beers is good.

I saw 2 Guns Yesterday, it was OK. But i am getting a bit Jaded, so maybe its good. Typical Walberg Lots of Shooting, dry humor. I recommend it.

Thank for info on Pacific Rim.
    I will go watch that next Tuesday for 4.25$ at the drive in. Not that the Money matters but I like the drive in and when I pay 4.25 I feel satisfied that I got Value.

I also Saw Lone Ranger, It was OK. and it was a different twist on the classic Lone Ranger Story Line. = Its OK to see within the current crop of movies.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I went to see "Wolverine" last weekend, big thumbs down.
    Hugh Jackman didn´t even get his kit off properly FFS, where´s the fun in that????
    If you can´t keep up, keep the fuck outta my way

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Only God Forgives: A 4 minute music video turned into a 90 minute movie by extending every cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Seriously.
    I had some high expectations, but was disappointed. At least I had some good beers while watching it so not a complete waste
    I just saw Only God Forgives tonight and was completely enthralled.

If you're not a fan of the films of Alejandro Jodorowsky (whom the film is dedicated to) or Gaspar Noe (who is thanked in the end credits), then I could see where folks would end up not liking it.

I totally dug it, as it contained lots of elements culled from some of my favorite directors: I saw bits and pieces of Stanley Kubrick, Ridley Scott, Neil Jordan, David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Peter Greenaway, Brian DiPalma, Dario Argento, Ken Russell, Alan Parker, Luc Besson, Johnnie To, Sam Peckinpah, John Woo, Wong Kar Wai, Jean-Pierre Melville, Paul Verhoeven (his Dutch language films), and Ryuhei Kitamura floating throughout the film, which was totally cool to me. Heck, several times during the film I thought "this hella reminds me of Jororowsky" and "wow, this scene brings to mind Gaspar Noe's Irreversible" and then their names popped up in the credits.

The crazed mother character was a throwback to obsessive mother exploitation films (The Baby and countless others), not to mention some of the more psychotic characters that have populated David Lynch's early films, not to mention turning Willie S's Oedipal complex on its head; the key fight sequence reminded me of scenes from Aragami; the use of lush, saturated colors recalled The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, as well as the films of Argento; lots of shots reminded me of early D. Lynch, especially the karaoke moments. The violence harkened to Noe and some of the other New French Extremity directors; I was also reminded of Charles Bronson's body of work from the late '70s and early '80s for some reason (perhaps it was the whole revenge motif). The score/music was amazing and used to wonderful effect throughout the film (too often in Hollywood films the score is underplayed or too overpowering and is not used to good effect, here it actually added a ton of depth to the film).

The film was like a giant homage to the modern greats of cinema, imho.

In many ways (to me, at least), Refn is a more visual Tarantino (I always have viewed QT as a more dialogue-driven director, whereas Refn is definitely placing the majority of his emphasis on the look of the film and the composition of the shorts--something that a lot of the French and Italian directors I admire have done over the years, having the images move the story along in lieu of copious amounts of dialogue; don't get me wrong, I love dialogue, but Refn's films are impactful with minimal dialogue, which is cool).

While not as gripping as Drive, Only God Forgives reinforces that Nicolas Winding Refn has become one of my favorite directors, a dude with what is becoming a signature vision that can be seen throughout all of his films from his early Danish drug saga Pusher to his paranoir Fear X, in Bronson and into Valhalla Rising.
    Last edited by dookey67; 08-08-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    it contained lots of elements culled from some of my favorite directors: I saw bits and pieces of Stanley Kubrick, Ridley Scott, Neil Jordan, David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Peter Greenaway, Brian DiPalma, Dario Argento, Ken Russell, Alan Parker, Luc Besson, Johnnie To, Sam Peckinpah, John Woo, Wong Kar Wai, Jean-Pierre Melville, Paul Verhoeven (his Dutch language films), and Ryuhei Kitamura floating throughout the film, which was totally cool to me. Heck, several times during the film I thought "this hella reminds me of Jororowsky" and "wow, this scene brings to mind Gaspar Noe's Irreversible"
    Nice film critique parody. Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hugh Conway Guest
    well, when nothing happens, it's really easy to impose a critique on something. I was running about 9:10 that dookey would love it.

PS
    I forgot to include Terrence Malick and Sergio Leone to the list of obvious influences on NWR and Only God Forgives.

FWIW, saw trailers for these last night. They look intriguing and all are opening in the theaters soon:

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

The film was like a giant homage to the modern greats of cinema, imho.
    But you left out Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Holy fuck Zhang Ziyi is still so hot.

Seen Elysium - cool flick in the action / effects but weak predictable story and plot. Oblivion was much better.

I kind of agree on Elysium. It was a cool flick. I would have liked to have seen more of the space ship and more expansive view of what Earth was like.

It was cool how they made LA seem like it was Mexico. Matt Damon was basically the only white dude around!

Kruger was a total bad ass though.

The earth didn't look that bad to live on, it looked like Juarez, like they couldn't of made an Elysium on an island or something???

I, too was disappointed in Eleeeeeeeeeeesium (as opposed to Elisium, the way I've always pronounced and heard Elysium); let my expectations run away with me. Character development - zilch; story - brief/truncated; silly robot talk by all humans (not just Matty Boy) - WTF. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say Oblivion was better, though

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I, too was disappointed in Eleeeeeeeeeeesium (as opposed to Elisium, the way I've always pronounced and heard Elysium); let my expectations run away with me. Character development - zilch; story - brief/truncated; silly robot talk by all humans (not just Matty Boy) - WTF. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say Oblivion was better, though
    Sci-fi, one of my favorite genres. ....almost always a letdown.

med-bays, got em in every home in elysium, but not even a single one on earth?!? dumb
    get paid