Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    SUICIDE SQUAD

The trailers and pre-hype for this fiick were pretty cool. I mean most of the various trailers I saw (they were virtually unavoidable, especially during July) made me want to see the film, which otherwise I didn't have that much inclination to do so. I gotta say, watching all the trailers is probably better than watching this film; saves you some $$$, too.

Basically, it's starting to feel like all the DC and Marvel films are blending together. We had Iron Man vs. Captain America, then Batman vs. Superman. The latest X-Men had that team fighting an ancient god-like creature, now Suicide Squad fights an ancient witch-god. It’s no secret that each of the comic giants pretty much ripped off each other’s characters over the years, with a few exceptions, but having tentpole movies that pretty much seem to be delivering the same story, but with slightly different characters is getting boring. That aside, the film was okay, albeit a bit choppy during the second act, but it features some good zings, some decent acting; Jared Leto is pretty sick as The Joker (no Heath Ledger, mind you, but he put his own twisted spin on the grinning ghoul of Gotham). The Harly Quinn actress, though, is like a weak version of Jaimie Presley; same scratchy voice, similar facial features, just about 10 years younger.
    The action in the first act was solid, and the characters are intriguing, but deserve a bit more development. I will concede that the quick backflashes on the origins/motives of each member of the Squad, was done well.
    In the end, the trailers felt like they were crafted much better than the film itself, a case of where the marketing of the project eclipses the actual project itself.

Giving it a 2.5 out of 5.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

BLAIR WITCH - 2.5 - 3.0 give or take a smidgen of a point.

Went and caught a screening of the new Blair Witch flick today. Was mostly intrigued by it due to it being directed by Adam Wingard and written by Simon Barrett. I have really enjoyed their two previous efforts--You're Next and The Guest--so I was expecting pretty great things. I purposely avoided reading any reviews or watching trailers. I had seen a couple of stills on the Net, though. I was mistakenly under the impression that it was going to be in the vein of Book of Shadows (which I actually really dug), but when I purchased my ticket the lady behind the counter warned me about shaky cam and asked if I got motion sickness; my heart sank a tad upon learning that Wingard and Barrett were going the "found footage" route. Last-minute preconceptions aside, although it is a found footage flick, it was pretty decent. The duo did a good job of tossing in some nice twists, there was a least one moment of serious WTF?!?!ness, plus they used sound and light (or lack of) to good advantage, and seemed to build upon the original a bit (I have to admit, I have only seen the original film once and it was on a sh!tty VHS dub and I don't really remember much of it, other than they used sound and light (or lack of) to decent effect). While there were some genuine jump-out-of-your-seats moments and some interesting effects, on the whole this "sequel" didn't change much or offer too many new insights. It was decent enough, but was sorely missing any of the cool humor and vintage '80s redux of the duo's previous efforts. I have to wonder why they chose to essentially remake what is more or less a modern classic rather than continue with their unique vision of familiar genres. Interestingly enough (or sadly speaking, depending on your viewpoint), their next film is also a remake...wondering why they are resorting to this tract rather than pushing for original material?

Went and saw The Accountant this afternoon.
    When I first saw previews for this movie, I initially wrote it off. I had no interest in seeing a movie that looked like Forrest Gump meets Shooter. But then I saw a few reviews that spoke quite highly of it, and that the previews were didn't really go into what the movie actually was because that would ruin the film. I managed to sell the wife on that theory, and went in hoping for something better than awful.
    We were pleasantly surprised at how good the movie was. Far better than the most recent Bourne film. I'm not going to get into it too deeply, because it would ruin the film, but it was very enjoyable.
    My only gripe was the casting of the villain. I wanted to be surprised at who the baddy was, and as soon as I saw him, I knew he was the bad guy. He played his part well, it's just that he's always the bad guy. There were a couple twists that I saw coming, but completely baffled my wife.

4 stars out of 5.

Here's a better review:
    Last edited by Caucasian Asian; 10-24-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Looking forward to seeing this...

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this...

Hell yes!

Racist, cranky old bastard makes good movie (Hacksaw Ridge)!

Pretty tricky, making a period piece where it's OK to push religion - yeah I know, based on a true story, but still .....

Regardless, nobody left the theater unhappy, several stood and clapped. Battle scenes were truly gripping.

I'm excited to watch Dr strange in imax3D. Reviews have been outstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Run, don't walk to see Dr strange in imax3D! Holy shit, it's the Most amazing thing I've ever seen on a screen. Solid story as well.
    Serve up stoned out of your mind
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Run, don't walk to see Dr strange in imax3D! Holy shit, it's the Most amazing thing I've ever seen on a screen. Solid story as well.
    Serve up stoned out of your mind
    I really enjoyed it too. Not sure the 3D was really worth it or necessary - would have to watch again in 2D to compare. The 3D glasses give me tunnel vision, and kept reflecting the exit light into the corner of my eye thanks to our seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I really enjoyed it too. Not sure the 3D was really worth it or necessary - would have to watch again in 2D to compare. The 3D glasses give me tunnel vision, and kept reflecting the exit light into the corner of my eye thanks to our seats.
    In most cases I've come to that same conclusion about 3D; too many shaky cam fight sequence and CGI in many marvel movies are distracting, but strange is a different kind of movie, with mostly spells and alternate dimensions that worked well in 3D.

Did you see it at a IMAX? Because it's a whole different experience.
    get paid

Thank God for Arrival and all movies that make you think. It's a great flick. Beautifully shot.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Thank God for Arrival and all movies that make you think. It's a great flick. Beautifully shot.
    +1
    Amy Adams > most other actresses
    Forrest Whitaker > most other actors
    Some score as well - hard to remember a movie with something like that.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    +1
    Amy Adams > most other actresses
    Forrest Whitaker > most other actors
    Some score as well - hard to remember a movie with something like that.
    If you have kids (I have two daughters), the movie connected disturbingly well. I was hooked for sure. Yea and the music was perfectly matched. Just smart.

If you have kids (I have two daughters), the movie connected disturbingly well. I was hooked for sure. Yea and the music was perfectly matched. Just smart.
    *purposely oblique spoiler alert*

Do you think the person who's name was same in both directions was yet to happen in future or in the past as it led you to believe in beginning?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

*purposely oblique spoiler alert*

Do you think the person who's name was same in both directions was yet to happen in future or in the past as it led you to believe in beginning?
    ----- MORE SPOILERS FOR ARRIVAL ------

Happens in the future. The big revelation is that once you learn the alien language you perceive time differently which is why she kept having flashbacks and flashforwards. What's worse is that she knows well in advance that her future daughter will develop a fatal illness yet didn't tell her future husband (the other male scientist). He was pissed which is why they are divorced.

Glad I didnt read this thread BEFORE I saw Arrival

Somewhat slow in spots but overall, a solid movie. Will probably be up there in the movie of the year discussion.

----- MORE SPOILERS FOR ARRIVAL ------

Happens in the future. The big revelation is that once you learn the alien language you perceive time differently which is why she kept having flashbacks and flashforwards. What's worse is that she knows well in advance that her future daughter will develop a fatal illness yet didn't tell her future husband (the other male scientist). He was pissed which is why they are divorced.
    This movie points to predestination. You are not going to change your future, even if you know what it will be. Of course some 7 legged creature living in a mist doesn't have any concept of time or events when there is absolutely no reference point or even texture surrounding them. They merrily go around the universe spreading their language as they are oblivious to the effects it can cause on beings where time has a singular directional structure.

We went and saw The Founder last night. Really enjoyed it. Michael Keaton brings us another great performance.

Both the wifey and I were talking about cheeseburgers for the entire drive home.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I saw John Wick 2 earlier this week. I liked it better than the original. I think the body count is higher than the first movie. I was cool to recognize multiple moves from the fighting from the martial art styles I train. From the knife work to the grappling they are obviously more choreographed, but still recognizable.

I think the movie offered a lot of potential to explore the John Wick universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I saw John Wick 2 earlier this week. I liked it better than the original. I think the body count is higher than the first movie. I was cool to recognize multiple moves from the fighting from the martial art styles I train. From the knife work to the grappling they are obviously more choreographed, but still recognizable.

I think the movie offered a lot of potential to explore the John Wick universe.
    I concur.

I dug the expanding on the universe, as well as the predominantly practical stunts and effects (read somewhere that most of the fighting was "real" as opposed to CG, which shows). Have heard they have plans for a TV series, but nothing has been stated what direction it will go in.

LOGAN - ***1/2 (out of 5)

Owes a large debt to Shane, which it references twice in the film, but more recently (and in the same genre), it owes a debt to both Terminator 2 and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, as well as every other reluctant hero/surrogate father themed action film that’s come before.
    The pacing is pretty decent and the action sequences are top-notch, but the film just never really took off for me. It seemed to remain somewhat restrained, which, I guess, is a good enough thing considering the over-the-top, and kinda lameness of many of the X-Men movies.
    That said, I still prefer The Wolverine as the best of the bunch.
    Last edited by dookey67; 03-24-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Life was really good - and scary as fuck. Very realistic ISS shooting as 98% of it is there. Director and writers wanted it to pass the Neil degrasse Tyson smell test and imo it did.
    Didn't get great reviews, but I thought 4/5

http://bgr.com/2017/03/25/life-movie...ryan-reynolds/

With Ridley Scott’s long anticipated Alien: Covenant on the horizon, the sci-fi horror scene has come back with a vengeance. Could Life finally be the film to hit the high mark set by Alien in 1979 and revolutionize the genre itself?

No, probably not. Nonetheless, Life is a brilliant entry into the sci-fi world and plays as both a love letter to its obvious influences as well as a wholly unique take its grander ideas. Perfect casting, realistic conversational writing, sweeping cinematography, and inspired horror directing elevate this film well beyond the expectations I had walking into the cinema.
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 03-25-2017 at 05:20 PM.

KONG: SKULL ISLAND - *** (out of 5)

Hokey, but with a pretty decent cast, if some of them are a bit under utilized/overtly stereotypical.
    John C. Reilly rules, as an eccentric castaway, the rest, however, play to cliche all too readily.
    EFX are decent, but I gotta say, this might be the least impressive Kong yet.
    The whole film obviously ties in with a future Godzilla re-boot (as well as Mothra and Rodan).

THE BELKO EXPERIMENT
    ** out of 5

Went to see this based more on the creators and actors involved than for the somewhat contrived story (the posters exclaim "Office Space meets Battle Royale"). Director Greg McLean helmed Wolf Creek and Rogue, two of my favorite horror/genre films (subsequently, he's also helmed several stinkers, so there's that). Screenwriter James Gunn wrote the great (imho) Dawn of the Dead remake, Slither, and the thoroughly enjoyable Guardians of the Galaxy. The film features Michael Rooker, John C. McGinley, Tony Goldwyn. And the rather attractive Adria Arjona

That said, the story is old hat, borrowing from various previous stories/films. However, McLean's pacing is phenomenal. Gunn tosses out plenty of red herrings that threw me for a loop. The effects are nasty good (practical, gooey gore galore). The ending, though, more or less rips off the short-lived TV series Persons Unknown and was kind of a let-down.

I'd say this is more of a rental for the diehard genre set.

Life was really good - and scary as fuck. Very realistic ISS shooting as 98% of it is there. Director and writers wanted it to pass the Neil degrasse Tyson smell test and imo it did.
    Didn't get great reviews, but I thought 4/5

http://bgr.com/2017/03/25/life-movie...ryan-reynolds/

With Ridley Scott’s long anticipated Alien: Covenant on the horizon, the sci-fi horror scene has come back with a vengeance. Could Life finally be the film to hit the high mark set by Alien in 1979 and revolutionize the genre itself?

No, probably not. Nonetheless, Life is a brilliant entry into the sci-fi world and plays as both a love letter to its obvious influences as well as a wholly unique take its grander ideas. Perfect casting, realistic conversational writing, sweeping cinematography, and inspired horror directing elevate this film well beyond the expectations I had walking into the cinema.
    Saw LIFE today.
    Giving it 2.5 out of 5.
    Read the review linked above and found it a bit hyperbolic.

My problems with the film:
    1. it's a highly derivative containment horror film owing huge debts to Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing, among others.
    2. little to no character development; each character is a broad stroked cliche.
    3. Ryan Reynolds is channeling Deadpool, albeit sedated (not surprising, since the script was penned by the duo who wrote Deadpool).
    4. the misdirects mentioned in the review linked above were pretty predictable (as was the ending).
    5. the alien life form starts out looking really cool, but then morphs into something that's a cross between the aliens in Independence Day and the ones in The Abyss.

That said, there were several moments in the film that had me white-knuckled, but they were few and far between. And the space station sequences were well done, but didn't strike me as being amazing.

Overall, it felt like there were more than a few missed opportunities, especially in terms of character development, gore, and story.