Stolen bike dilemma

On Monday, some clown broke into my car and stole a bunch of my riding gear - full face helmet, regular lid, etc. I have yet to find it, but have been checking pawn shops and the online sites.

Needless to say, I am now hyper-aware of bike parts that look out of place.

So today driving home from work in SLC on my way to Go-Ride, I saw a rough looking dude cruising down State Street at 13th South on a Giant Glory. He had as many shirts on as he appeared to have teeth - none.

I slowed down and eyed him from my vehicle, at which point he yelled something at me and turned down a side street. Traffic was such that I couldn't follow, and I had nothing more than an assumption that he stole the bike.

I went on to Go-Ride and asked if they knew of anyone who had a Giant Glory stolen recently. Sure enough, they did - a dude who works at a bar 13th South. I jumped in the car and headed over there and spoke with the bartender. The bike owner wasn't at work, so we tried to call him, but with no luck. I left my number at the bar.

When I got home, I searched on google to see if a stolen Giant Glory had been reported in SLC. And there it was, on pinkbike, the picture of the exact bike I saw on State Street and 13th South. Now I am really pissed. I wish that I had just stopped, grabbed the bike, and then found the owner later. But if my gut was wrong, I likely would have been charged with a crime myself. Sucks all around.

Should I have taken the bike? I hate bike thieves. HATE.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

Don't second guess man you followed up as best you could.

There is a special place in hell for bike thieves...

Sent from my MB886 using TGR Forums
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Thats why you keep a couple shells loaded with rock salt. (Just in case you were mistaken)?

On a lighter note, tell the police? They seem to know who the dirtbags are. If you tell them who and what you saw, they may know allot more and appreciate the probable cause to go after some one they already have on there radar. (Maybe)?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

You did the correct thing. Should let the guy know where you spotted it... probably or working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post

There is a special place in hell for bike thieves...
    QFT. I fucking hate bike thieves. I would love catch the fucker who stole mine. Damn.

I notified the bar, left my name and number at the bar, and sent the dude an SMS to the phone number listed on pinkbike. SMS had the location of the sighting and time. After I went to the bar, I drove around the area looking for it. There are some shady areas (for SLC, it is all relative) around that area. I am sure dude lives around there somewhere. I hope the owner gets his bike back.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

From my point of view you did the correct thing.

The only thing I can add is, take picture of the perp on the bike with your phone if you are quick enough, or can reposition to make it happen.

Other then that, taking the law into your own hands is risky business.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    From my point of view you did the correct thing.

The only thing I can add is, take picture of the perp on the bike with your phone if you are quick enough, or can reposition to make it happen.

Other then that, taking the law into your own hands is risky business.
    I was gonna say this.

good job. you did everything you could.

PLUS, if this guy has the balls to be riding the stolen bike around town, it probably wasn't the first nor last time. Now that the owner and cops are aware, they can keep their eyes peeled for the guy.

You could make a Citizens Arrest!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Stick head out window.

Shout loudly, "BWOOOOOOOOOOOOH-ooooooooh" several times.

Flip open your wallet quickly, then close it.

Announce you are with Homeland Security and your boss Janet Nappy has assigned you to patrol SLC looking for domestic terrorism in the form of bike theft and you got an APB on a shirtless dude on a big motorcycle-looking bicycle.

Wait for Mr Shirtless to hit you over the head with a lead pipe.

Cross fingers and pray for success.

(works on TV)

i've never been thru that intersection and not seen someone shady at/around that Sinclair station...[but do love me some breakfast at the Coachman]. Only possibility i could see that wouldn't have a high degree of chance of getting your ass kicked is offering the dude $40 for the bike. Ya, wrong on many levels, but otherwise you're playing with fire. Tweaked fire...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

The cops in that area are actively looking for that bike. If you see it again, call 801-799-3000 and they'll get a car out there if they can.

I commute home that way on my bike. I'll keep an eye out

drbrodreux, judging from your avatar, it looks like you're ready to infiltrate the meth-head community and bust this thing wide open!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...