Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NSR- Need a laptop

I need a laptop that meets the following minimum requirements:

Intel Core i5 or i7, or AMD A8 and AMD A10 APU
    4GB RAM
    Microsoft Windows 7
    Wireless: 5 Ghz-capable, often labeled as 802.11a/n, 802.11abgn, or dual-band
    14-15 inch screen

I was thinking that spending ~$750 or less would probably be a good starting point on cost. I've done some research, but there are a ton of options out there.

I'm am hoping to avoid having a touchscreen and I don't want to boot Windows on a Mac.

I have been a Mac user for about 6 years and have no clue what I should be looking for in a PC laptop. Thoughts?
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

ASUS Zenbook UX32A-DB31 13.3" Laptop?

I recently picked up an HP Envy 6, AMD A10 processor. It came with windows8, not sure if 7 was an option. I have been happy with it, I want to say it was around $650.

Consider a solid-state hard drive as well.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

i have a laptop with a solid state hard drive with no issues

we seem to have a lot of drive failures on our SAN's solid state drives. i think the conventional wisdom is that solid state drives fail more often

i'm sure folks will disagree. i'm interested to see the responses

SSD is a good choice as it will juice both battery life and speed. I can't say I'd recommend HP's.

You're not going to get much capacity for an i7 with SSD for that cash. Sure, prices have come down, but even remotely large SSD's are still spendy.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Yea the SSD is a 400$ add on. so you can get a bunch of Lap Top for 400 to 600 hundred, but then the SSD is XTRA on top of that.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Just bought this at Best Buy for $699:

ACER ASPIRE M5-481PT-6644
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Aspire+U...z%20&cp=1&lp=1

It's close to what you ask for. Am picking it up tomorrow after using my son's 2006 HP 2GB RAM, 60 GB HD machine for the last three years. The HP is dying, with keys and functions no longer reliable.

ASUS is a good company now. I know you want W7, but the guys at the store--yes, I believe them--said W8 would be fine with the touch-screen.

I can let you know.

Check out the Lenovo Thinkpad Idea E531 series. They have both i5 and i7 versions in 15.6 inch screen (and 14 in too) and if you go with the Windows 8 Pro (NOT Standard) then they are loaded with Windows 7 Pro still from the factory. The i7 CPU maybe a bit on the high side of your budget unless you look at their outlet for a refurb.

$100 over budget but an awesome deal.
    http://slickdeals.net/f/6075392-Leno...-Free-Shipping

Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4GHz
    8GB DDR3 Memory
    1TB HDD + 24GB SSD
    14" 1600x900 HD+ Anti-Glare LED Backlit
    2GB GeForce GT750M
    DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
    Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
    6-cell Battery
    Windows 8

Thanks for all of the responses. These are minimum requirements so win8 is fine.

This is for an engineering program so I have plenty of server storage available. I also have access to desktops if I need to run more processor intensive applications.

Are PC laptop refurbs reliable?

Got mine today. Windows 8 is really different. It may have been invented to insure the survival of massive amounts of profanity.

Six hours later, it's getting better. The touch screen feature is pretty nice and very quick.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. These are minimum requirements so win8 is fine.

This is for an engineering program so I have plenty of server storage available. I also have access to desktops if I need to run more processor intensive applications.

Are PC laptop refurbs reliable?
    Stay with Windows Pro. If you get Win 8 Pro (or Utlimate), you can legally downgrade to Win 7 Pro if you need too. Lenovo still sells their Pro systems preloaded with 7 and a disk to load Win 8 if you want that.

Also Win 8.1 is just arounf the corner (in beta testing now) and will return the start menu (just like the various 3rd party add ons like Classic Shell do for the Win 8).

As for refurbs- I'd say it all depends on the series and if the factory does the refurb and tests them or not. Many refurbs are just returned units that someone decided they did not like and returned the system. However if there is a large number of reports of issues or problems with a design (Google the model number) then maybe pass. Lenovo has their own Outlet that they list all systems- refurbed, open box, or overstocked surplus on discontinued models. Many companies only warrant their refurbs for 90 days (but the arguement is they are burned in and any issues should have been found earlier.)

Windows 8 convinced me to stick with apple.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

If it's for engineering, Apple is basically a non-starter.

We just went through the whole "new laptop" research program. My wife was very leery of Windows 8 as well.

She ended up with a VAIO (had one before and liked it ok) with a touchscreen. It's a 14" screen, which is a good size IMO. The brushed Al body makes it look nice.

Win 8 was baffling at first, then frustrating, then she started to like it. Now she thinks it's great. I will say that if you get it, DEFINITELY get a touchscreen model. Many of the actions are just easier if you can swipe on the screen, and it's pretty intuitive if you're used to smartphones.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

i bought one of these today, they seem like a great deal if you want to skimp on the hd and then upgrade.

Currently $99:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00691WMJG
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

The Mrs CA needs a new laptop before she air-mails her's out the second story window. She doesn't use it very much, not a lot of internet browsing, mostly to run MS Office. Her current laptop is a 5 year old Dell.

Should I even think about something like that Acer Aspire with Windows 8 for her?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

CA, One thing you probably have to ask is does she even want or need to have the laptop touch screen enabled? If there is a store nearby carrying that Acer (or similar brand touch screen enabled laptop) go and have her try it. Pretty much any entry level laptop with sufficient memory can run the MS Office suite, and unless she is doing higher end stuff (Excel with hugh spreadsheets and long recalculations, big Powerpoint projects, huge Access databases, etc.) then any $500 or so laptop would handle Word and the standard office user. Windows 8 once you get used to it can be very stable and the start menu (still available with additional downloads like Classic Shell and the like if you really must have it back) is not needed if you set up the new interface with all your applications launching. Win 8.1 will take care of a few complaints (like the return of the start menu) when it is released.

Confused on 802.11 a/b/g/n. Lots of laptops with great computing power that come with 802.11 b/g/n. I need 5ghz wireless.

802.11 a/b/g/n requirement has me thinking I need to step up to a business class laptop or replace the wireless card if I don't get that standard on the machine?

If it helps the Lenovo z580 I am looking at comes with a Intel Centrino N2200 which I b/g/n dual band and supports speeds up to 300mps.
    Last edited by char; 08-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Char- 802.11 b/g are only 2.4 ghz. A was the 5 ghz (first generation) and then when N came out they offered 2.4 ghz and if dual band it also used 5 ghz bandwidth. They had 150 mps, 300 mps, and then 450 mps wireless N. The newest cards are now 802.11AC. The 5 ghz frequency has less interference from other devices compared to 2.4 ghz.
    The Intel N2200 is a wireless N adapter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11_n

So if is 2x2 b/g/n I am good?

If you really have to have 5 ghz, then NO you are not good. It's specs can be found here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/66888/...00-Single-Band

It is a singleband 2.4 ghz only, but it is 2x2...

The only laptops I will buy any more are Sony. I know their TVs are way overrated and priced to acordingly, but the only laptops that could survive my kids' college days were Sony. They destroyed Lenovo, Dell, HP and Toshiba but their Sonys are still cooking. Mine is 6 years old and is as good as it was on day 1. Try TigerDirect.com...