Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MTB Flat Shoes

MTB Flat Shoes

I've been using FiveTen SpitFires with pretty good success. They're soft and flexy, though I don't really have a problem with that and I love the sticky rubber. Only real complaint is that the soles are finally losing the battle against the screws in my flats after a year and they don't have the locked in feeling they used to have.

$75 http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Shim...ntain-Shoe.axd

These look nice - but I'm not sure about the sticky-ness versus FiveTen.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/the...a-001b2166becc
    TNF Shifter - $65 Good deal on the price, but TNF hasn't had the best track record with shoes IMO... I've had a few in the past that just fell to pieces. This does look nicer than the stuff I've had in the past. Again, no clue on sticky.

Other choices from FiveTen that I would be thinking could be a good option: Impact, FreeRide, Karver.

I want what I imagine most people want - as cool-breathable as possible, sticky, support.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Poop~Ghost; 06-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.

stick with 5.10. The other models have a much stiffer sole if that's your main complaint about your current ones. Nothing else will have that same level of sticky'ness IMO.

I've got the Impacts, the low top version. Super sticky. Good support. Not too hot. Heavy. Overall, I'm happy with them for DH use. Not sure what they'd be like for how you want to use them.

I've been happy with my impacts (low-rise). Reasonably supportive, enough that I can do some trail work in the middle of a ride. They take absolutely forever to dry out after a real wet ride, however. They are in their 3rd season and still going strong.

Go with the freeriders. I have karvers for DH and they're pretty big for extended pedaling.

I got just about 2 seasons of riding (3-5 days a week) out of my last pair. I'm trying the VXI (flat sole thing) ones out right now, so far they're doing well.

Yeah, I guess I should have said my typical ride is Colorado Front Range: Apex, Falcon, Lair, Hall Ranch, 3 Sisters.... with the occasional longer rides (like 30 miles).

I just got the am45s and really like them for dh and AM stuff. Adding cleats and using them with mallets. But having used them a few rides without the cleats, they are sticky enough for me. I'm just so used to clip less that I feel like I need it. They are also pretty light and at a great price too.

I'd say, if you are using just flats, go 510, but if you want clip less, the shimanos are great. My only complaint is that they are hot.

I picked up some Teva Links in December. After 2-3 days of riding a week in the 6 months I've had them, they're starting to show some wear on the soles from the pins of my pedals. But the weight and design is pretty perfect for XC/all-mountain use, not nearly as clunky as some of the 5.10s.

Doing it again, I may check out 5.10 Freeriders if I find the sole stiffness to be adequate. From this thread, it sounds like the soles may be more resistant to wear.

Prior to the Tevas, I had some 661 Filters that I got on the cheap. The soles wore really fast, grip was poor and they were quite heavy. They also fit really wide. I don't recommend these.

I have Freerides (and ride the same trails as you) and find them to be slightly flexy compared to the Impacts. I like the stiffer sole of the Impacts.

One more note - I was able to improve the sole stiffness of my Tevas by using green Superfeet insoles. This is something you could try if you go with a lighter shoe.

I use karvers for all my trail riding. I think they are stiff and provide plenty of support. Great for hike a bike or trail work. However, they are bulky and heavy, I sweat through them easily and they do take forever to dry. I think this is my 3rd season with and the sole is pretty worn by now.

I'm not sure what the base freeriders are like this year, but the VXI's are noticeably stiffer than the original freeriders from 2 years ago. They also threw on a toe cap and better heel welt, they basically addressed everything I had an issue with. I'm assuming they'd put those features on the base freeriders as well.

If you're ok with a little more flex, you might want to look at some approach shoes. They typically have lacing further down to the toe and higher eyelets so you can dial in your fit better. Same sticky sole and lots have the same flat / no heel bottom.

Mad Rock Switchback is mad cheap and sticky, but heavy. I've been happy with the 5.10 Chase which should be on clearance.

+1 for freeriders or new vxi's, a bit stiffer than the spitfires but not as stiff and bulky as the impacts, i would also look at line kings which are on clearance at reioutlet, the hightop version of freeriders, prob my next pair as i tend to bash ankles on cranks at inopportune moments

The '13 impacts have a bit more mesh in the side panels than previous versions and consequently breathe a bit better and may be a hair lighter. I like em, and tend to use them similarly to OP.

I used the flat pedal version of the shimano AM-45 (AM-41??) for a season and liked their light weight but the soles weren't as sticky as 5.10. Not as stiff as Impacts either.

+1 on the impacts. I've been using them for several weeks so I can't speak to their long-term durability, but they grip on the pedal pins nicely. Comfortable too when hiking your bike up steeper stretches.

I've had Impacts for a few years, lots of use hiking, trail working, around town (town bike had flats/pins but I ride spds for proper riding). Support is decent but they definitely are hot & don't breathe very well IMO, & like others have said they take forever to dry. Rubber is sticky & the tread has lasted pretty well considering, but I haven't worn them on flats pedals much.

I think the VXi might be the ticket - the standard Freerider has the same sole that my spitfires have and I wouldn't mind trying out the flat spot version... oddly I have an old pair of approach shoes that I had 5.10 climbing rubber resoled for climbing big-walls (about 10 years ago) and I love them for riding. They eventually blew apart inside though.

Now who's got a coupon for BC.com?!

quite happy with my impacts. I have high and low tops. wear the low tops most often. they do take a while to dry so I have a backup. stuff them full of newspaper helps speed up the drying a fair bit. sounds like freerider is what your after though. good selection of sombrio shoes on sale on "Canadian cartel" right now. they look good and claim sticky tech. I haven't heard much about them. typical invite linkhttp://www.canadiancartel.com/?ref_id=8832

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    Now who's got a coupon for BC.com?!
    The TGR coupon codes are still working (mine is at least, since I literally used it to buy my FiveTens). Search for the latest thread.

Searching has yielded me no results - anybody got a link?

five tens rule, I ride my karvers on the pedal bike as well as DH, my feet don't turn into a soupy mess either. I love the stiff soles and the bomber toe protection. They are pricey though, but worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoermk View Post
    five tens rule, I ride my karvers on the pedal bike as well as DH, my feet don't turn into a soupy mess either. I love the stiff soles and the bomber toe protection. They are pricey though, but worth it in my opinion.
    Big props to tahoermk - he hooked me up with a coupon and I got some VXi on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    One more note - I was able to improve the sole stiffness of my Tevas by using green Superfeet insoles. This is something you could try if you go with a lighter shoe.
    Ditto on this. I switched to flats this season on my trail bike, and have had a great experience with the Links w/ green superfeet. They interface really well with the pins on my pedals, are stiff enough to pedal well, clean up easily, are comfortable on and off the bike, and look good to wear around town (for whatever that is worth).

ah, I see now that my insights were a bit too late to be of value. apologies. the new freeriders do look pretty cool.