Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TURNER BURNER.... who's ridden one?

i might have a crush- built up xx1, shorted lyrik to keep a 20 mil through axle, CCDB something or other, looks and sounds like the titties for a new 30 ish lb all mountaineeering on de trails bike build. just started obsessing and waxing nostalgic about turner bikes after a few weeks dreaming of spitfires and endorphins

anyone rallied that pony enough to be taken seriously round here? woo, flow, marsh, noah, any you literary gear dorks?

preferably not at the DD @ bootleg. apparently Lord dave or some other homer bonered ( or perhaps stonered as it is a bike named "burner") the r shock tune and they all sucked donkey ballzZ. according to CRaigstr at least....
    one step forward, no step backward

I've touched one.

I can get ahold of one fairly easily. A buddy who just had a kid (and is hence useless to anything meaningful in life like bike riding right now) might let me grab it for a weekend. I'm not down with the chainstay measurement but you never know until you yank the front end out of a few tight turns. With what Turner and few other folks are doing with BB heights on 650b frames (namely what they should have done years ago with 26ers), I'm starting to mentally take notes and might be heading that way meself.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I'm not really looking to change rim sizes, but I do like the numbers. I'm currently on a Spot and completely happy. However, lower BB, longer TT and slacker HA on the same solid platform makes it pretty attractive. I initially thought the chainstay number was a typo. Seems excessively stretched.

My suggestion would be to ignore the travel numbers when comparing the Burner to other all mountain/trail/etc bikes.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

DW link fanboy here but their anti squat BS does work so that low BB really isn't an issue unless you're in Arizona chunky riding which as you know, is like nothing else on this planet and totally unique to the known universe

forecast: kidwoo will not like the chain stay length.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

17.6 chainstays??? Them be some long chainstays.

I was looking at their 29er and it was 18 something. Jeebus!

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    forecast: kidwoo will not like the chain stay length.
    reminds me of Carlin as "Al Sleet, the hippie-dippy weatherman" -- tonight's forecast: dark, followed by early morning scattered light.

you know something's funky when Salsa moves from 18.4 to 17.2 CS on their new FS 29 bikes, but the Burner is 17 something. maybe it will shrink when the frame becomes car-boner.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I was looking at their 29er and it was 18 something. Jeebus!
    Wtf? When did sprockets become MTBR inaccurate bullshit? First Roxtar not knowing the difference between Minions and then you? What next - marshall making mistakes?

http://www.turnerbikes.com/2013-turner-bike-models/czar

17.4 or 442 for the 29er czar

Burner is 17.6 or 447

-to compare

But come - lets get further into MTBR numbers hell and e-ride a bike based on one single measurement out of its geo.

Do they only make 1 29er? I'll let you check that out and get back to me. Feel free to paste some large images if you'd like once you get the info on their more "trail" oriented big wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    But come - lets get further into MTBR numbers hell and e-ride a bike based on one single measurement out of its geo.
    CS length is CS length. To those who care about it, no other geometry tweaks bring the back end around quickly. Long CS is great for the Freeride Flick, though -- it's the best move to swing a long CS bike around!

also, 2x what dfinn said. the Czar CS doesn't mean the Sultan CS shrunk accordingly! at least the Sultan CS is slightly shorter in the dw version than it was in the TNT version -- right?

ah the Sultan. My bad. Comment re chain stay nitpicking still stands on being all MTBR

don't often get to see Lee use the broad-brush dismissal in seriousness. looks like Levy has influenced you. (or maybe Are See?)

it would be more honest to say, "despite the long chainstays this bike actually is pretty fun to ride as long as there are no tight turns, and as long as you never stand up to pedal."

also, always a great thing to say someone's preference for short CS is stupid partisanship, rather than a trait that helps a rider enjoy time on a bicycle. everyone who likes short CS should be chastised as misogynists, bigots, reactionaries, cracker rednecks, and every other denigration that suggests blind adherence to an empty position.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    don't often get to see Lee use the broad-brush dismissal in seriousness. looks like Levy has influenced you. (or maybe Are See?)

it would be more honest to say, "despite the long chainstays this bike actually is pretty fun to ride as long as there are no tight turns, and as long as you never stand up to pedal."

also, always a great thing to say someone's preference for short CS is stupid partisanship, rather than a trait that helps a rider enjoy time on a bicycle. everyone who likes short CS should be chastised as misogynists, bigots, reactionaries, cracker rednecks, and every other denigration that suggests blind adherence to an empty position.
    dammit you made me type a serious reply.

CS is important but wheelbase is equally important. It's just one thing to consider. But it's too often used as one screening tool to automatically dismiss a bike when it should be used as a point of data.

I'd take short CS vs long WB any day given the choice. It doesn't tell the whole story but it's fairly important.

When the bike is coming from a company that it's difficult to get a demo of, that is definitely going to be a screening point for people.

I just got a Nimble 9 so my chainstays are shorter than all your chanstays and that means my e-penis is huDge.
    But that's a neat looking bike.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

dammit you made me type a serious reply.
    I'm sorry. I cut into your recovery time from this morning's ride!

CS is important but wheelbase is equally important. It's just one thing to consider. But it's too often used as one screening tool to automatically dismiss a bike when it should be used as a point of data.
    Well of course. Say Chet Chainstaynewb is trolling MTBR and is savvy enough to detect grief about long chainstays (huh? Vassago Wetcat? attack those low-slope climbs in the saddle, honch!) and praise for short ones (dammit the bike always wants to wheelie when I run my Thudbuster 4" model with saddle at the rearmost spot). So he asks Lou Lowbudget at Cra-P-Custom Frames to build him a 29 bike with 16.75 CS and 67 STA and 18" ST and 22.75" TT and 72 HA.

Yep, it's gonna ride weird as fuck. Despite the short CS.

But if someone who has a tiny bit of time on many different bikes knows how geometry numbers combine to give a set of ride characteristics, and knows how CS length figures into it?

Might be better to have a discussion on what CS length does, with every other dimension relatively fixed.

Also -- are there really, truly short-ish WB bikes with long CS? In 2013? How is WB the proxy for how a back end either comes around or wants to keep going straight?
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 06-24-2013 at 08:27 PM.

whoA!

not the "exact" response i was expecting.

i put my dough on HA or BB height.

Jebus Harold Christopher. You guys are really pissing me off. If you're going to have an mtbr discussion here at least do it right. Here, let me help...

[Homer]Who cares about the god damned chainstay length. I mean, it's a friggen' Turner. DT knows more about bikes than all of you will ever know and this bike will be like a gift from god himself. Now, where's my RFX?[/Homer]

Sincerely,
    A hopeless homer who's too broke to get a new 5Spot.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Totally OT but i was trolling the knolly forum and think I managed to get a death threat - my first one ever.

dfinn - yah. A bit blinkered of me to be dismissive of using at least some basic screening to narrow down CS sizes, While i understand DT's reasoning that Burner chainstay length is out of the norm.

creaky - can't really answer your question. I've not liked bikes with long wheelbases and enjoyed bikes with shortish- medium wheelbases so you might have caught me in talking out ass moment

I was worried about the wheelbase and vs length when I bout my sultan. Not anymore bit climbs really well, is more than possible in tight switchbacks and absolutely rules high speed rough single track. It all needs to be taken as a package, not just the numbers. My only real beef was w the stack height, which they have improved.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    A hopeless homer who's too broke to get a new 5Spot.
    The Spot is being discontinued, so you won't have to worry about having that problem much longer.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The Spot is being discontinued, so you won't have to worry about having that problem much longer.
    Please don't remind me of that fact. My old steed is broken, but I can't afford to replace it right now even taking into account the $700 trade-in credit. FML.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Totally OT but i was trolling the knolly forum and think I managed to get a death threat - my first one ever.
    I went looking for a laugh & got distracted by genius threads such as "..my ancient hard tail frame is cracked & I want to put a new 27.5 wheel on the back & run v-brakes..." & "..who makes custom rear triangles for 650b...". scary stuff, glad I got out alive.

ok. now that ya'll got yer CS length debate out.

anyone with real ride time yet?

anyone care to speculate(fack its the intertubZ, of course ya do) on a burner vs. mach 6 shootout? i lack any experience with pivots, but the mach 6 does look dialed, note the CS creaky. how does the pivot suspension characteristics compare to the homer burner?