Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Unfortunately no, too many things going on to bring the Pugs and gear. May get a set of rock skis out of Chips barrel. Just saw 1-3" forecasted.
    watch out for snakes

1-3 huh? High country nc may get a good dump. 1-3 would be absolute bliss on the fatty tho. Say hi to Canaan for me

I thought the whole reason fat bikes had no shocks/springs/hydros was because they were for winter and that stuff can get weird in the cold.
    You people are weird.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

different strokes.........

weird, definitely.

So you're saying hydros and suspension work fine when it's 20 degrees? I mean, I don't see why they wouldn't, but I also don't see them working particularly optimally.
    No longer stuck.

hydros and suspension do seem to work fine at 20 degrees. optimally? dunno. i'm a full rigid and bb7 brake guy for life no matter what the wheel size or tire width.

Most hydro brakes work fine in the cold or they wouldn't use DOT fluid in motor vehicles, it's that mineral oil stuff that can get sluggish. Suspension is a little bit worse but once it's warmed up it is usually ok too but if it's really cold it may be too sluggish to be any use to a rider. BB7's have been nothing but problems for me (and many of my customers) during the winter. Get a little bit of slush on anything that moves and when it freezes the brakes just stop working. Unacceptable imho.

Gotchya
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Get a little bit of slush on anything that moves and when it freezes the brakes just stop working. Unacceptable imho.
    The derailleurs give me occasional problems, but not enough to go back to SS.

pam spray or something like it works well. never had a bb7 freeze up in over 10 years.

For me anyway der.'s have never been a significant problem but that last bit of exposed cable around the caliper on BB7's (and most other mech brake calipers actually) is where the problem starts. A bit of water creeps up the cable and freezes in there and that's the end of that. I know that people have been loving them since time began and I won't say that they're wrong but it never worked for me :shrug:

i can definitely see that becoming an issue with that exposed cable. a perfect storm of sorts. could be where i live. tends to be a bit colder up here i think. our rides start and end cold and "wet" doesn't really enter the equation so much.

my dot 4 brakes never gave me issue in winter, but when things warmed up........no bueno. off they went!

what I would do next time is bring a 26" tube and buy a CO2 inflator.

Slowly convincing myself to off my Krampus and snag a Borealis Echo... Thought I'd ride the Krampus more on dirt but it just didn't happen this Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    what I would do next time is bring a 26" tube and buy a CO2 inflator.
    Get one that allows you to control the amount/pressure.

I toasted a tube by just screwing on a cartridge and let her rip.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Get one that allows you to control the amount/pressure.

I toasted a tube by just screwing on a cartridge and let her rip.
    Oh shit! Thanks for that info as I would definitely have done the same.

I just have a spare 2.4 Q-tube and two c02 carts that just stay strapped onto my Fatty frame below the h20 cage. That way whether riding with my pack or just a few things shoved in some pockets, there's always a spare.

Never had any real issues with stuff in the cold. Yeah, full housing for shifting is better. Haven't noticed anything weird with brakes.

Suspension gets more sluggish, but not unbearable. Speed up the rebound a bit, maybe do a service and throw some lighter oil in the damper if you're really worried about things.

I find really cold temps do weird things with tires more than suspension.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I've had a fair amount of fat flats and have had great luck with a good quailty hand pump that i keep in my jersey pocket. Can't even remember what pump it is. Doesn't take long to get back on trail and i only had to buy the pump once.

watch out for snakes

Nice bike. Dump the dropper for a thomson, replace the guide brakes with bb7 and it'd be about perfect.

Braaaaaaaap!!!

Couple grand less for the fat boy pro is more my speed. Trying to get one will be shitshow once again most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Couple grand less for the fat boy pro is more my speed. Trying to get one will be shitshow once again most likely.
    And for a grand less than the pro you get the trek farley 8. The farley 8 is THE fatbike you want my friend. The bike is sick.

^^ mmm Nope. Well yeah it is hot but it isn't "the one." I know because I have one but I ride the Fatboy and the kid or wife rides the Farley.

I didn't know it was coming but that Salsa doesn't surprise me at all. Ehh, I still want 4.6+ potential. That tire size limit will keep me waiting or maybe think about the King Kahn. Long travel and 5" tire just sounds like a winning combo to me.

I mostly just like the color of the Farley 8. To me a bike is a bike (within reason). Throw leg over it and pedal. I bought my charge cuz it's white.

Nitro cylinders are good option.