Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Speaking of ladies iced by the recording industry

I was guilty of hating on the Chick’s in the post 9/11 “patriotism.” I also hadn’t been a big fan of some of their radio hits, but then I dove in a bit and damn those women are killer musicians.

“You Were Mine,” “Traveling Solder,” and their cover of “Landslide” are all fantastic. Sad to see one of their founders Laura Lynch died this past Christmas Eve in a car crash. Also, their dropping of “Dixie” from their name in the post Floyd era; strong and riotous.

I hate how country music industry, many fans, and the radio try to punish artists for taking a stance on improving humanity. Brings to mind Cash’s Bitter Tears album.

Back to women of country. Who all are your favorites?

A Tanya Tucker concert, with her in the short, short, white leather shorts awakened me to the wonders of women.

Loretta Lynn concert and a backstage meet and greet was memory forever.

Dolly Parton is a top 5 desert island artist for me.

Is there even Country Music without Maybelle and Sara Carter?

Reba and Tammy can hit a note like no other. Kasey Musgraves is solid.

So who do you all like?

Hazel Dickens
    https://youtu.be/hb3BS8iB-RU?si=dPbzk-0ilnqF42sX

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cash’s “Busted” is good. Ray’s is the best.

I guess if we are schoolin’ we better take a minute to talk about Ray Charles. His Modern Sounds in Country Music was so important in many ways. It changed country music. It changed the artist’s relationship with the record company. It changed race relations and stereotypes. It also flat produced some damn fine songs.

Later, Ray and Willy teaming up for “Spanish Angels” so, so good.

I never saw my grandpa cry. Also, grandpa hated much of the country made after about 1970. Grandpa almost cried the day Ray Charles died.

I love Ray but come on. Hazel was the soul of country music.
    https://youtu.be/grCllPhN0nw?si=igzypjwFCXHLTeP_

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I hear you. I didn’t mean to take away by mentioning Ray. She was a certified bad ass and the godmother of Blue Grass. Feminist, labor rights. Multi instrumentalist.

One of the age old debates around the identity of country music. How much Blue Grass, how much Blues, how much Pop, and more recently how much rock? How much Folk? When does it become America?

I have always leaned toward pop sensibility and it’s the fault of the Nashville sound. I also always lean more Western than Country. Also, my tastes are more ballad than dance/swing. I guess I like Blue Grass as an aperitif and not the main dish.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    That’s an excellent share. Great song and message. Bonus points for no Fords or Chevy’s.

Another example of how women are the flame-bearers of country in a world of bro-brap bullshit.

Just a reminder that Lucero is as good as it gets. If you havent heard their Before the Ghosts album, I strongly recommend it. Nothing like an acoustic album and rough demos to really bring out the talent.

https://youtu.be/LB8vzL_f8mc?si=DttPDBVn10y89yVG

https://youtu.be/_plLs6ObGPg?si=QYQXES9PIkKiipRz

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Just got tickets to see her in Denver in March. Pretty stoked!
    Great show last night in Denver!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240311_040328264.MP.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	640.0 KB 
ID:	490060

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    One of the age old debates around the identity of country music. How much Blue Grass, how much Blues, how much Pop, and more recently how much rock? How much Folk? When does it become America?
    Country (or Americana if you’re a liberal) is the melange of bluegrass, folk & blues, not to mention traditional Scots-Irish ballads, zydeco, gospel, polkas, norteno and tejano. And a host of others. Just like the USofFuknA.

Back to female artists. I like Laney Wilson but I fear she is getting too commercial.

I guess I’m drawn to female artists who sing about speaking truth to the men in their lives

Country (or Americana if you’re a liberal) is the melange of bluegrass, folk & blues, not to mention traditional Scots-Irish ballads, zydeco, gospel, polkas, norteno and tejano. And a host of others. Just like the USofFuknA.

Back to female artists. I like Laney Wilson but I fear she is getting too commercial.

I guess I’m drawn to female artists who sing about speaking truth to the men in their lives
    Amen to women speaking truth. I share that draw with you. I agree she is getting a bit commercial, but happy for her success. My Mrs. Likes her and that makes me happy.

Two influences on country that are so often ignored are the African and subsequently African American instruments and and rhythms. As well as all the varying Native American forms.

It’s more about rock, but the documentary “Rumble: Indians Who Rocked the World” is an awesome, enlightening, and entertaining watch. I don’t think it is still free on PBS, but probably streaming elsewhere and for sale on Apple Movies.

I can’t believe I took 3 music history classes in college and none of the featured artists or musicians were covered.

Name:  IMG_8898.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  33.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    That’s an excellent share. Great song and message. Bonus points for no Fords or Chevy’s.

Another example of how women are the flame-bearers of country in a world of bro-brap bullshit.
    That's ^ a great, fucking song!!
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Digging this knew Charley vid!

country as a genre (and shitty country music in general) is defined by lyrical content and the accent in which it is sung. country as a sound is defined by audible bluegrass, western, and/or blues instrumentation, form, and rhythm. americana, whatever the hell it is, is fucking stupid. just ask Childers.
    swing your fucking sword.

Americana is country music for liberals

Americana is country music for liberals
    and otherwise folks who wear stupid hats.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Great show last night in Denver!
    Yeah, Phall phucked up here in Salt Lake Friday night
    Name:  66357.jpeg
Views: 291
Size:  45.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    Yeah, Phall phucked up here in Salt Lake Friday night
    Name:  66357.jpeg
Views: 291
Size:  45.8 KB
    You’re lookin good my man, be good to run into you sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    country as a genre (and shitty country music in general) is defined by lyrical content and the accent in which it is sung. country as a sound is defined by audible bluegrass, western, and/or blues instrumentation, form, and rhythm. americana, whatever the hell it is, is fucking stupid. just ask Childers.
    Bo Knows

https://youtu.be/y7im5LT09a0?si=2DMry_s-vdfQvFaQ

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I think this has been posted before but it still rings true

Can't have a conversation about women in country music without Lu

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    NEXT!