Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Okay. So now there is a concern about rain. I know the north shore of Kauai can have daily showers and even full on rai days in February. Is Oahu and different? Is Haleiwa dryer than Hanalei?

Looking at Punta Mita again.

Anyone been to Sayulita in winter? Or even in summer. My big concern about Punta Mita is it seems completely soulless. Like one huge condo complex instead of an actual town.
    Last edited by Ottime; 09-01-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Mom in law is liking the looks of Punta Mita. So it look like we will be looking there. Think I will start a thread with that question.

But feel free to post here if you've been there or Sayulita. Or derail this fucker.

In contrast to the traditional stereotype of surfers as lazy and illiterate, they are among the most ambitious and accomplished members of the local community. With UCSD overlooking Black's Beach and Sunset Cliffs at Point Loma Nazarene's doorstep, it's no surprise that bright students with their pick of schools, come from around the world to attend San Diego's coastal colleges. City council members and corporate CEO's, doctors and developers, lawyers and Nobel laureates count themselves among the local enthusiasts. As more young people take it up and older surfers stay with it, surfing has matured into a sport for all ages, and in recent years, more and more women have been joining the lineup.

academias de ingles en madrid
    Last edited by reinadeoz; 09-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Didn't UCSD just get some #1 honor?

edit - not gonna get into it, but it's a skewed perspective: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmar...ven-in-top-30/
    Last edited by SheRa; 09-05-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a thanks for the laugh barney

Seriously whitefish, you should seek some professional help. You seem like a sadly depressed and potentially disturbed individual. Anyone who spends time on the Internet, signing up for forums, with the sole intention of making themselves feel good by pointing out how much taffeta they are than everyone else is pretty sick in the head. You really should seek help before you do permanent damage to yourself. Just as a reminder. Not everyone wants to be you, live like you or even gives a fuck about you. Stop trying to be an attention whore and then maybe, just maybe, this sad period o your life will pass and you might get a little bit of a clue.

You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    I just took the plunge, bought tickets for the (family) surf trip to Puerto Rico in Feb/Mar. Stoked! Gonna stay two weeks in Rincon, and a few days cruising around the island elsewhere. Tickets <$400 RT from LA, super deal. Crowds or not, swell and warm water too good to pass up. Vamanos!

Any tips on good spots around the island other than surfing? Not into San Juan/Vieques, but curious about snorkeling/rainforest/food. much appreciated-

how did it go? I am thinking of the same location for next christmas north or west rincon? recommendations?
    shut up and ski

I don't know much about puerto rico but that looks worth the money

That does look sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by dude_le_skibum View Post
    how did it go? I am thinking of the same location for next christmas north or west rincon? recommendations?
    just got back. all in all, really good trip, both surf-wise and travel-wise.

puerto rico is a sweet place. great vibe in and out of the water. people are friendly. always felt safe, roads are good, food is abundant and pretty good. none of the weird Hawaii local vibe at all. I heard that some breaks can be that way, but I never experienced anything but good vibes in and out of the water.

rincon is a good spot. beautiful. bit of a gringo land, but wasnt expecting some exotic lost world. definitely somewhat crowded lineups, depending on what you are used to. interesting mix of solid tourist surfers, beaters, and locals. always waves to be had, though always others in the lineup.

puerto rico had been having a terrible winter for swell and winds, but it was pretty good the last two weeks when I was there. several nice runs of swell, workable winds. surfed good waves more days than not. if the swell is down in rincon, you can often jump in the car and drive an hour to different breaks with different exposure and find bigger swell.

the surf breaks are all reef. sharp and spiny, but not treacherous. I would not recommend PR for a beginner, but I am quite a hack, and found the breaks to be great. just keep your feet up! entry/exit from the water is usually interesting, to say the least. waves themselves have good form and power, less meaty than hawaii, pretty perfect really.

renting a house is the way to go. PR food is good but being able to cook is really nice. lots of options for house rentals in the rincon/aguadilla/isabela areas.

lots of great places to visit on day trips when the swell is down. we drove all over the western half of the island, based out of rincon. rio camuy cave is touristy but awesome. cueva ventana and cueva viento are wild and beautiful. diving in guanica in the south on the wall there was the best I have ever seen. diving off of rincon on desecheo island is good too. beautiful forests inland in the high country. great seafood restaurants on the beach. lots of good stuff to enjoy on days when the surf is down.

I really liked PR, cant believe it is not a more major tourist destination. people, nature, food, climate, cost, access are all really good.

hope that helps, feel free to PM for any other details I may have left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    I don't know much about puerto rico but that looks worth the money
    ya, maybe if it was just you and a friend, maaaaaaaybe two friends. looks like shitshow crowds to me.

tons of nh surfers i know go there for weeks at a time. but nh surfers are used to crowds

rog

Bwahahaha. A crowd of nah surfers is like a break littered with lobster buoys. Sure, they can get in your way f you are not careful, but it's not like they are competition. Half jk.

A few years back I was out visiting te east during summer. Chased a hurricane swell to Pt Judith. Too steep for ME. About 70-100 "surfers" out. Maybe 3 were catching waves. Crowds are relative.

I know you don't like other people almost as much as me, but that wave does look like fun. Sometimes you need to deal with other people to take off the suit and get real tubes. Especially when staying close to home. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    That does look sweet.
    good to hear.
    just booked 2 a house for two weeks next xmas. no return flight yet. might stay longer
    shut up and ski

Go To Hawaii

thats the place everyone in your group will like

Maui, Oahu, or Kauai

you can rent a house, condo or hotel room. Airfare is reasonable and there is something for everyone. You can surf at any of the unnamed breaks and avoid the crowds . And the unnamed breaks in Hawaii kick the shit out of the best named breaks at other tropical vacation destinations
    You can take the group to any beach pretty much to snorkel and lay around. You can see sea Turtles with 5 dollar rental snorkel gear. You can go to a cheesy luau. If the wife wants to go shopping she can hit a mall.
    water is warm and the waves are fast.
    Go to Maui- take the drive to Hana, or better yet book 2 days over on that side.

tons of stuff to do on any on the above islands.

sunset cliffs- I surf dolphins and donuts. Pm me if you want to surf the south end of point loma. Im always looking for other people to go out on the boat to surf. Its still gets crowded but not like the breaks you can walk to
    But-gas grass or ass. nobody rides for free
    oh, and dont drop in on the captain. You wont get another invite

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post

sunset cliffs- I surf dolphins and donuts. Pm me if you want to surf the south end of point loma. Im always looking for other people to go out on the boat to surf. Its still gets crowded but not like the breaks you can walk to
    But-gas grass or ass. nobody rides for free
    oh, and dont drop in on the captain. You wont get another invite
    I'm moving to OB on Sunday. Gonna be around this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    I'm moving to OB on Sunday. Gonna be around this summer?
    yep, unless an avy takes me out in Silverton. But, the cliffs are much better in the winter. The point (loma) does pick up some south's as long as there is a touch of west in it. I dont look at Ralph's much. Sometimes its pretty good looking on a south but I have only seen waist-shoulder high there.