Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The New Douchebag Badge?

Seems my little city is now chock full of Dakine tailgate pads. Some of these are actually in use, and as intended. You can tell by the dirt, grease, minor tears, etc. Saw a truck yesterday with bikes piled on the bed, and sporting a brand new-looking, spotless tailgate pad. I can only assume the owner did not want to dirty up his latest evidence that he's cool and outdoorsy, or, using a term I coined on the spot, he didn't want to mark up his "Douchebag badge."

Serious question, since I haven't owned a PU truck in years: how hard are these things to install and remove? In other words is there a legitimate reason, other than wanting to wear one's badge, that people just leave them on their trucks when not riding (e.g., the same reason my Yakima ski racks stay on the roof until ski season ends)?

where i am the douchebag badge is a scrotum looking thing hanging of the back of a truck, the launch pads stay on most guys trucks just 'cause they can...although a buddy has the coolest carpet (think Elvis carpet on sale from a van carpet) of three kittens he uses that seeems to get "serious" cyclist worked up pretty good...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Where do you live?

I'd say you are reading into it a bit too far.

Sometimes you put bike in the bed, sometimes you hang em over the gate.

One time, at the trailhead parking lot, I saw an old truck with a bunch of cardboard for a tailgate protector, with Dakine written on it with a sharpy. Pretty awesome.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Umm no, they are useful I have a ghetto one on my truck from April to oct/november. Don't see how it would be douchey to leave it on. I do ride like 4-7 days a week in the summer but even early season when I'll ride once a week or less it goes on

Yeah, 3 straps that you have to fish through the gap between the gate & bed. Just leave it on.

In other news, my dog loves it as a bed/mat, now that I have a camper topper on the Tundra.

I guess I can see leaving it on. And I see plenty of these that see serious use. I have absolutely no problem with a guy that wants to protect his bike and his truck. I would too if I was carrying a $2k bike in a $25k truck. It just seems to have turned into a giant-sized bumper sticker around here (around here is Boise, Idaho). Seems a bit like wearing a harness to ski inbounds. Then again, I'm probably just cranky at how slow and out of shape I've gotten.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    The proper term is "douchebadge" (like truck nuts or smokestack exhaust pipes or a livestrong bracelet)and IMO, its not silly to leave tailgate pads on. I don't take my ski rack off my car every time i'm not using it.

Long way to go before it beats out the Ed Hardy t-shirt for the ultimate in douchebadgery.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    ^^^ Or a tap-out shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Long way to go before it beats out the Ed Hardy t-shirt for the ultimate in douchebadgery.
    You might have already seen this:
    http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009...wear-ed-hardy/

I see a lot around where I live. Although they do usually have nice bikes hanging over them. But, the real cool people take an old rug or indian type bedspread and wrap it up over the tail gate and strap on.

While dfinn is probably the ultimate douchebadge, his tailgate pad is not. It rules harder than chuck Norris on meth.

I just use a furniture pad myself. Gets the job done, and cost $0.00

That said if you ride everyday, just leave it on.

Remember, The only thing more douchey than having a douchebadge is judging people to feel better about your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    For online douchebadgery, use the following

I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Bothered to read thread just to see if anyone said the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    Remember, The only thing more douchey than having a douchebadge is judging people to feel better about your self.

actualy what works better is some 2x4 in the bed post holes with a 2x4 cross bar, it gets the wheels up higher, some carpet to protect the frames & tailgate
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by deepsquat View Post
    Bothered to read thread just to see if anyone said the obvious
    +1
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

And smokestacks are awesome....just so we are clear. Rollin coal!
    Last edited by TeCeBe; 06-13-2013 at 11:17 PM.

This thread delivers the lulzs, especially posts #2,5,14,15. Keep up the good work!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I have one, I leave it on, and I am, absolutely, a complete douche.

Seriously though, they are kind of a PITA to remove/install. I'm thinking of adding plastic clip releases to the straps to make it easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Yakima now makes them now too. These pads are the shit, efficiency to max, i can stack 5 bikes in a minute or 2. Getting the 3 ropes to run through the tailgate hinges can be a pain in the ass if you have larger fingers/hands. If you're riding a few times a week i dont see the point in removing them unless you are worried about sun damage or theft.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TGR Forums

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    For online douchebadgery, use the following

I've finally made it! Woohoo! Me ME ME!

People have used the pads for surfboards for a bit, now (maybe that's where it started?) could be the SUP revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by marcg View Post
    Yakima now makes them now too.
    We'll need the OP to opine on whether they're as douchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

While dfinn is probably the ultimate douchebadge, his tailgate pad is not. It rules harder than chuck Norris on meth.

I just use a furniture pad myself. Gets the job done, and cost $0.00

That said if you ride everyday, just leave it on.

It's not the tailgate pad that's his douchebadge, it's the matte black wheels.