school a newby on kayaks

the g/f wants to get a kayak. It'd be used mostly on the lake & wetlands (closest to home) but I like the idea of being able to do 2-3 days trips sometime. We also have faster flowing rivers nearby but I have no desire for "proper" whitewater paddling.
    Will any ~14 ft kayak with a hatch on the back suit? Will a 14ft be too much to handle on easier fast flowing water? How about something a bit shorter eg 10-11 ft? Will they be too slow on flat water, or not have enough storage? Like the idea of plastic so we can bash it into rocks & not worry about damaging. Doesn't matter if its slow.

Storing & transporting isn't an issue, have truck & roof racks on the imprezza. What's the max length one could put on the roof of an imprezza?

FWIW I spent lots of time in canoes growing up & a bit in kayaks also. I feel confident enough to jump in & paddle on the lake but I wouldn't go down fast flowing water until I had more time in a boat.

http://www.neckykayaks.com/en-CA/kayaks/

you are looking at either a 10-11ft rec boat which is really fucking short/slow OR you would probably be happier with the day tourer and the 13-14ft Manitou has always impressed me, there would be enough room for gear for a weekend, you should be able to handle them on easy moving water but I would pick your rivers carefuly the idea is to have fun ... travel not excitement

You should be able to get them on an imprezza bow and stern lines are agood idea

http://www.aquabatics.com/home.php

You are in south eastern BC ? these guys could help you out I worked there in 06, maybe you can find some used boast in cow town, the AQB spring boat swap is always a good place to pick up a boat

You also need a paddle PFD spray skirt ect, should I start the "the sea kayak thread" ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

yep in Invermere, cowtown isn't too far away. We did go into a shop in calgary near COP not too long ago (same place?), lots of options but we didn't feel like talking to sales people at the time. Used would be nice, not sure if we'll buy this summer or next.

I heard people raving about the Kootenay River, from the park to Canal Flats. Apparently its nasty during the melt but pretty cruising again by late August.

Certainly planning on skirts, PFDs, pumps etc.

yeah thats Aqua Batics, probably the biggest and possibly the only place to buy kayaks, there is a new owner but they used to have a big consignment boat swap/old stock sale may 24th which you might plan to be in cowtown for, get there early, a lot of boats get sold at that sale, when I worked it I think I sold 6 boats in 1 day which is a LOT of boats

used plastic kayaks work just as well as new boats actualy all my boats were demo/used/rental, the big problem for a newby is knowing if what the seller is flogging is going to fill your needs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A solid grip of the rack's footings to the car is priority #1. Length is insignificant. Stock racks are marketing add-ons and aren't nearly as safe as a Thule or Yakima.
    RENT kayaks and take lessons(if you & she haven't already) for a little while till you/she finds what hull & spoons she paddles best with. Steer clear of the short recreational stuff...~under 14' = unstable hulls for touring boats. The new River runners..(between WW and touring) though are shorter, under 15'(I think)..another category others will have better insight of.
    $.01 ....haven't kayaked in over ~19yrs..but paddle a canoe..
    Last edited by steved; 02-14-2014 at 12:45 PM.

I have always been a fan of the WS Tsunami, bit more performance than you might need but if you get into it it would still be a great boat for you. They make several versions of it.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...uring_tsunami/

or

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...mance_tsunami/
    watch out for snakes