Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riding in western Ma?

the more Northwestern the better, what info does anyone have.

Batchelor St, Earls, Hawley SF, Wendell SF. In order of awesomeness. Google should be able to find you maps and info for each.

Some new trails have been going in up in Charlemont but I haven't ridden them personally.

I think Earls, B St. and Charlemont are pretty easy to find info on, I've heard nothing but good things.

Start here: http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/Charlemont.html
    and then get googlin'.

Also PM Anospa, he was out there recently and is a NEMBA dude.
    Maybe Buttah can chime in, Walpole, NH ain't all that far north of that region.

i've also heard, nothing but good about Earls/Batch.
    never driven south to ride, if anyone want's to organize a big ride down there, i'm in.
    i grew up in western MA, and i've hiked Mt. Holyoke many times as a kid.
    i started riding bikes at Plymouth State in the big 80's.
    woot
    crab in my shoe mouth

Can't get much farther NW in MA than Petersburg Pass. Good stuff in that zone that's hardly ridden and easily accessed.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    if anyone want's to organize a big ride down there, i'm in.
    woot
    x2

GSA1234

Can't go wrong w/ b street and earl's. 40 miles of biker-built trail in one small area. Definitely not very northwestern, though. Happy to lead a tour if you (or anyone else) want one.

Charlemont gets a big thumbs down from me, but some others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah! View Post
    Can't go wrong w/ b street and earl's. 40 miles of biker-built trail in one small area. Definitely not very northwestern, though. Happy to lead a tour if you (or anyone else) want one.

Charlemont gets a big thumbs down from me, but some others like it.
    What didn't you like about Charlemont? I read the blurb in Outside and have heard good things elsewhere, so I'm definitely curious to hear another take on it before making the drive.

I've heard pretty meh stuff about Charlemont also.

B-Street is a lotta fun. I was originally going to ride there this Saturday, but plans got changed, and they've since changed back. They're possibly changing a 3rd time as I just got told I should do the Super D race at Sugarbush that day.

Anybody ever ridden at Sugabush? They describe the course "At least 90% downhill flowy tracks with mass starts by age class." Sounds like it could be fun.

If I don't end up there, I'll likely ride B-Street. I'll check back in as I figure out wtf I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    What didn't you like about Charlemont? I read the blurb in Outside and have heard good things elsewhere, so I'm definitely curious to hear another take on it before making the drive.
    I've not actually met one of these people who have good things to say, only heard second-hand that there's folks who like it.

There's just no flow to the trails. Lots of too-tight corners and places where the trail is just in the wrong place. They ride like they were built by someone bumbling through the woods, doesn't seem like any thought or planning went into them. Shame, because the terrain is beautiful. At the end of the day, riding Charlemont trails is a day you got to be on your bike, so it isn't all bad. But with how much good riding is in the area, I sure wouldn't spend gas money to get there.

There was a big NEMBA trail building/school thing there recently; I'll try and get info later this week from some guys that were there. They generally do not do any features on trails though, so their opinion of great trails is usually different from mine.

Earl's is rad. Batchelor St. has the tech-gnar. Also, Earl himself is really, really cool.

Wouldn't be surprised if Earl's is named after Earl Alderson. Knew him very well back in my Hampshire days. Can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if Earl's is named after Earl Alderson. Knew him very well back in my Hampshire days. Can anyone confirm?
    That's the man. I spent a lot of time in the OPRA building

well to those who are giving Charlemont a meh, I agree. Thoughly underwhelmed. I love semi technical trails to ultra tech to flowly. but charlemont was just annoying technical on un relenting mushy, steep pitches.

Lots of sidehill, like your going to slide off and your constantly fighting to stay on trail side hill, lots of turns that are so tight that even going up hill they crush your momentum, trails can be hard to follow due to lack of leaf blowing and raking(yes I think trails should be cleared to dirt, mostly to help them dry out quicker), and steep steep pitches usually after some momentum killing turn. Maybe I just rode stuff the wrong way but honesty I do not think so.

I tried to google Petersburg Pass and found nothing on the MTBing. Anyone got a site to go to?

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    well to those who are giving Charlemont a meh, I agree. Thoughly underwhelmed. I love semi technical trails to ultra tech to flowly. but charlemont was just annoying technical on un relenting mushy, steep pitches.

Lots of sidehill, like your going to slide off and your constantly fighting to stay on trail side hill, lots of turns that are so tight that even going up hill they crush your momentum, trails can be hard to follow due to lack of leaf blowing and raking(yes I think trails should be cleared to dirt, mostly to help them dry out quicker), and steep steep pitches usually after some momentum killing turn. Maybe I just rode stuff the wrong way but honesty I do not think so.
    Yup. That's Charlemont flow! Such a shame, as the terrain is beautiful.
    There's plenty of riding in Pittsfield State Forest, too. It's ok. Not great, but better than Charlemont (what isn't?). Long climbs, long descents. October Mountain also has a lot of trail, but you may need a guide for that. The Berkshire NEMBA folks are pretty friendly, so you could drop them a line about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

I tried to google Petersburg Pass and found nothing on the MTBing. Anyone got a site to go to?
    I've been there twice but it's been a looong time. You might want to pm laseranimal for current beta, he skis up there a lot. From what I remember it's not developed and is pretty raw but it kept me busy for hours. I never made it to the north side of the road but there does seem to be some decent trail mileage there too.

Too bad you guys aren't liking Charlemont, seems like there is some great opportunity there.

Bwacker, you should talk to the guys at Berkshire Bike and Board in Great Barrington. They seem to have their finger on the button for western Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    That's the man. I spent a lot of time in the OPRA building
    Too funny. What years? I completely rebuilt the engine of my honda motorcycle in Earl and Glenna's garage in the middle of the winter around '94/'95.

We greatly expanded the climbing too. When I got there it was a concrete traverse and a tiny wall. We added a bunch more and a bouldering cave. Even went on some bolting missions at secret crags with Earl, running around the woods escaping Ken Nichols. Pulling down at Burleson's cave was always fun as well, as the underground aid routes around campus. I remember when Earl got his first pair of Terminators. He was so psyched.

Too funny. What years? I completely rebuilt the engine of my honda motorcycle in Earl and Glenna's garage in the middle of the winter around '94/'95.

We greatly expanded the climbing too. When I got there it was a concrete traverse and a tiny wall. We added a bunch more and a bouldering cave. Even went on some bolting missions at secret crags with Earl, running around the woods escaping Ken Nichols. Pulling down at Burleson's cave was always fun as well, as the underground aid routes around campus. I remember when Earl got his first pair of Terminators. He was so psyched.
    I was 01-05. I'm a bike/ski person but the climbing community around that area has really taken off. Earl is known as "The Muscle" when he is not going on 100 mile mtn bike rides

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I was 01-05. I'm a bike/ski person but the climbing community around that area has really taken off. Earl is known as "The Muscle" when he is not going on 100 mile mtn bike rides
    You probably know my good friend Pete Ward then. Cool. Great climbing community there. Is Al Rubin still pulling down at Chapel and Rose? Spent many years climbing with him.

I think I remember Pete but not Al.

Thats funny. I have known Earl and Glenna for 15 years from WW boating.

1. Western Ma is great for riding--From Lenox to Petersham you can't go wrong (and actually those are two of the best).

2. My favorites, in some sort of order: Wendell (hard to really get it on your own but it is fabulous and still the 1st option long ride). Batchelor St.--all the legends are true. Long-ridge from Deerfield to greenfield: it's a series of smaller local rides but easy to link into a massive ride-plus one if you also throw in the Fall River Trails in Gill. Hawley-still biggest crowd pleaser. Shutesbury SF-hidden gem with four hours of technical single track. DAR Sf especially when linked with chapel falls and the ash field trails

3. Jeez, josh you rode western ma and didn't look me up??? I'm hurt. : )

4. Charlemont Trails System: not for everybody but there are those that love them (and, by the way Earl of 'Earl's trails' is one of those people). I like those trails a lot, but they wouldn't be the first place I'd steer a visitor.

Anyway, I'm always game for leading around visitors (Wendell being my fave but I ride all these places fairly regularly except Earls). Shoot me a PM if any is looking to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Quadruple-Edge Sword View Post
    1. Western Ma is great for riding--From Lenox to Petersham you can't go wrong (and actually those are two of the best).

2. My favorites, in some sort of order: Wendell (hard to really get it on your own but it is fabulous and still the 1st option long ride). Batchelor St.--all the legends are true. Long-ridge from Deerfield to greenfield: it's a series of smaller local rides but easy to link into a massive ride-plus one if you also throw in the Fall River Trails in Gill. Hawley-still biggest crowd pleaser. Shutesbury SF-hidden gem with four hours of technical single track. DAR Sf especially when linked with chapel falls and the ash field trails

3. Jeez, josh you rode western ma and didn't look me up??? I'm hurt. : )

4. Charlemont Trails System: not for everybody but there are those that love them (and, by the way Earl of 'Earl's trails' is one of those people). I like those trails a lot, but they wouldn't be the first place I'd steer a visitor.

Anyway, I'm always game for leading around visitors (Wendell being my fave but I ride all these places fairly regularly except Earls). Shoot me a PM if any is looking to ride

Liam? Whoever this is Ill shoot you a PM next time I am there. I pretty much will not go back to charlemont though

Yeah, Bush

Like I said Charlemont isn't choice 1 for a visitor: B-street/ earls probably shows the best

Give me a shout when you roll through