Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whistler Adapative Sports Program- going to be a guinea pig!

So over the past 6 weeks I've lost a significant portion of my vision due to cancer therapy. (I can't drive, read books, no acuity or contrast and unable to truly focus) There is a possibility that it's temporary but there is a chance it's not so I'm proceeding with life with these new changes as my new paradigm. Just need to learn to do things a bit differently. This very much includes biking!

I really want to still be able to ride both my XC but also my DH bike still. I can ride my road bike in a safe environment (like the Banff trail) just fine, though a guide brings the stress level down a ton. I can ride very open XC with a guide but techy stuff is a work in progress.

I contacted the the Whistler Adaptive Program a week or so ago about getting into the park and learning how to do it. They had an XC program but not a DH specific one, so my little brother (Viggen on here) and I are going to be guinea pigs!
    for it!

We are going to work with an adaptive coach to teach Viggen how to guide and me to follow, explore some adaptive equipment and work with a brother team that is on the Alpine National Para team for some tips and how to prepare for doing this in the winter.

Viggen has never rode in Whistler/Squamish so he's super pumped on just getting some laps in and see what the coast is like and I am so pumped I get to do this with my brother.

Viggen doesn't have a DH bike at the moment and we were wondering if anyone might have one we can borrow for the 15th and 16th of this month. He is not a hack, he is a far better rider then I ever was and has been a professional wrench for 10 years, he'll likely return it in better shape! Obviously we'll pay in beer but money is very very tight at moment. Just thought I'd ask the collective!

Super stoked on this opportunity! Nervous as fuck at the same time though.

If you're around Whis keep your eyes open for us and come say hi. We'd love to meet some coast mags!
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I've got a Trek Session 88 I can lend out. It's not actually mine, but shouldn't be an issue.

A friend from the UK has been storing it in my garage here in North Vancouver I don't think he'll be here then.

Will confirm.

I had not been following the updates on your eyes, hope you get your vision back.

Man, you're a HUGE inspiration! If lived on the west coast, my bike would be all yours. Good luck, and I'm sure someone will step up to the plate.

Unrelated topic, how do you post, interact on the computer with limited vision? Is this through voice commands/audio or through very large print? My brother in laws brother has a degenerative eye disease since a very young age and he has monitors with huge print. My sister was also diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease a few years ago (at 30) and the doctors say she will be legally blind by her 40/50s... So again, HUGE inspiration.

Way to get after it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Eager to follow along with how this goes. Glad you're finding the fun in life.

much respect! i'd say the wind is at your back. i'm betting a full recovery. good luck and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    I contacted the the Whistler Adaptive Program a week or so ago about getting into the park and learning how to do it. They had an XC program but not a DH specific one, so my little brother (Viggen on here) and I are going to be guinea pigs!
    for it!

We are going to work with an adaptive coach to teach Viggen how to guide and me to follow, explore some adaptive equipment and work with a brother team that is on the Alpine National Para team for some tips and how to prepare for doing this in the winter.
    Bummed to hear about the health issues but this is probably the best thing I've read in days. So stoked on your attitude and if I was anywhere near Whistler, I'd definitely loan out a bike. Hell, this actually puts me in the mood to road trip and burn some laps with you.

Post up on the process and progress.

I would be happy to lend Viggen my bike. Its a demo7. Let me know more if you need it. The bike is in Whistler

I can't help you with a DH bike but I hope you guys enjoy the trails around here.

Man that sucks about your eyes, hope it gets better!!
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

I work in a Bike shop and can get you a DH rental in Whistler free of charge, if nothing else pans out. PM closer to the date if you still need one.

wow! Thanks for the overwhelming support! Viggen and I really appreciate it!! It helps confirm that what we want to do isn't insane and definitely within the realm of possibility! I have moments of thinking "I got this shit, no problem" to "Am I going to fucking kill myself?", I am sure these thoughts are only going to be exacerbated as throw on the full face and line up behind Viggen.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I've got a Trek Session 88 I can lend out.
    I had not been following the updates on your eyes, hope you get your vision back.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I would be happy to lend Viggen my bike. Its a demo7. Let me know more if you need it. The bike is in Whistler
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I work in a Bike shop and can get you a DH rental in Whistler free of charge, if nothing else pans out. PM closer to the date if you still need one.
    Thanks for offers of the bikes, plans have changed a bit and it looks like we are riding the park on Saturday the 15th and again on Monday the 17th with a day off to either rest, ride some XC or explore Vancouver. (I've spent a ton of time there but Viggen has never been). Hope that doesnt throw a loop in any bike loaning plans, but I am sure we can figure it out! I'll be in touch with all ya guys about it.

Shirk- I hadn't really been doing any updates on my recovery, plans, etc. This is the first time I've mentioned my vision stuff, many of my friends don't know either. but if people are actually interested I'd be more then happy to post it up here or someelse. I'll keep it lighthearted and ski/bike focused. I had quite the interesting days on snow when the docs finally cleared me to ski in late March! Currently I am the heaviest, fattest and most out of shape I have ever been due a combination of steroids, passionate hatred of the gym, being very limited this winter with energy levels and most importantly my naive understanding of how quickly one loses fitness, I went from best to worst in a quick 4 months. But I am on the fitness train again, regaining normal energy levels when I am not on chemo and feeling good.

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Man, you're a HUGE inspiration! If lived on the west coast, my bike would be all yours. Good luck, and I'm sure someone will step up to the plate.

Unrelated topic, how do you post, interact on the computer with limited vision? Is this through voice commands/audio or through very large print? My brother in laws brother has a degenerative eye disease since a very young age and he has monitors with huge print. My sister was also diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease a few years ago (at 30) and the doctors say she will be legally blind by her 40/50s... So again, HUGE inspiration.
    Thanks man! My vision problems aren't stemming from my eyes persay, my eyeballs and all that are healthy, it's the optic nerves and brain that are not processing things correctly. I have a fairly small vision cut in the lower left eye from the surgery that will never return. That part of my brain simply doesn't exist anymore. This means the changes are very dynamic and rather unpredictable from hour to hour. There are times when I feel like things are getting back to normal and then there are times when it's so bad I can't make out my wifes face next to me. Feels like my eyes are at a late night club in Mykonos,Greece and my body is chilling at home. It's really hard to describe. No acuity, no contrast, things get lost in my field and reappear all while looking through Saran Wrap. Natural light helps to a point while overhead flourcesnt stuff in grocery stores washes things to the point I get nauseous. Screens aren't too bad actually. I'm managing on my S3 with some funky contrast background settings but it still takes a lot of time. As for the computer I'm using ChromViz and high contrast accessibility settings. It's not ideal at all and I need to explore some more software. (I spent two hours writing this) Flat screen TV's are better then old ones as well. As for reading, I haven't quite figured that out. I really struggle on my old school Kindle, no matter font size. Seems a bit better when I have a Kindle app on the tablet, but I'm still really struggling with that. I miss taking a shit and reading "Air Forces Monthly" on the can!

But the absolute worst is the loss of situational awareness around me. I've always been super perceptive and not being able to really know what's going around me stresses me in public and can lead to confusion. If I lose my wife in a crowd I feel like a five year old and have to just stay put and let her find me. I have little chance of picking her out of a crowd.I would be the easiest 33yr old ex ski bum to kidnap ever!

Again, thank you from myself, Viggen and my wife for your support. We are stoked to meet up with you guys and we will share the experience here as it progresses. Viggen is the designated photog And if people want a general recovery thread, I'd be more then happy to share as much as I comfortable with.

You guys rock!

PS Anyone know where to rent a LEAAT or similar neck brace in Whistler? I've never worn one in the past, but I think it may be prudent.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Good luck with the recovery Gripen, everything will be be pretty easy now compared to what you've already endured.
    There are a ton of people in Whistler who get after it everyday, regardless of what they've been dealt.
    I'm sure some time there with some rippers who've been challenged will put you in a much better frame of mind.
    Like they say don't sweat the small stuff and get out there and do the things you love.
    P.S. Time to get a new hobby for the shitter. Sorry no suggestions.

if you need to order a brace, let me know. I have lambert account

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    if you need to order a brace, let me know. I have lambert account
    Thanks! I'll let you know!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TGR Forums

-The Gylfaginning

Viggen and I are just getting all the plans finalized for leaving on Friday.

Think we have the bike situation sorted. Still Trying to figure out if anywhere in Whis rents neck braces. Made a few calls but nothing so far.

Anyone know for sure? Can't afford to buy one outright at the moment.

-The Gylfaginning

Got your PM, yeah getting Lee's bike or the rental in Whistler will be much better than trying to transport.

Would love to hear an update after on your experience riding the park. Hope not too many A-Line Assholes get agro with passing a slower rider, it can be a problem.

If you're still looking I have a Giant Glory you're welcome to use (size medium). I'm out of town so it's just sitting there. I've got an XC bike too if you need it. PM me if you need it.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...BIKE-TIME!-%29

would this be of any use to you? I'm sure between local shops, me and your Bro we can make it work happen

All good on the bike front! I know there are many other mags out there that deserve it!

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    All good on the bike front! I know there are many other mags out there that deserve it!
    I don't know if anybody deserves the Karma Bike more than you.

You may have the bike you need for the coming weekend, but if you need a bike to call your own mntlion has put your name in the hat.

Sending you all the positive vibes I can muster.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Buddy, Sounds like an awesome time and some solid learning that will keep you going well into the future. Have fun out there! You are an inspiration man. Atta keep after it!

Well, here goes nothing! Viggen and are loading with patrol at 9 to try to get some stuff organized pre-crowds abd keep the stress down.

Weather looks decent and my vision is fairly stable (ie not rapidly going from bad to worse) . All good things!

-The Gylfaginning

have fun...

Wow, dude, that sounds awesome. Sometimes I think about how much my back can make life suck, then I read stuff like this and realize I'm a pussy. You can't read? That's brutal. I guess there's always books on iPod.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.