Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A dirtbags guide..

A thought crossed my mind. Yeah shocking.. I know.
    Someone should start the thread a Dirtbags guide.
    First off.. What is the difference between a dirtbag and a cheap mofo?
    What subclasses if any of the "species" dirtbag are there?
    How do you know who's a dirtbag?
    And perhaps most importantly, how to spot if you yourself is a dirtbag..
    And also what would be classed as "dirtbaggery"?
    There's many exiting questions to be asked and answered.

JONG out...

Douchebag

hhhmmmmmm.......ya should know ,term ''dirtbag" comes from right wingers ,description of hippys ,back in the day.Other social classes adapted the phrase sarcasticly ,to spite conservatives who shunned them;as well as to separate themselves from the dominating disco scene ,back then..
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

it's always been my understanding that a dirtbag is a local who doesn't have his/her shit together enough to travel.

rog

^Local as in born an raised? Huh, guess Ill never make it to that status. What if your area nevers gives you a reason to leave? Not everyone loves the sun and sand!

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    ^Local as in born an raised?
    is there any other kind? yer only a local where you were born/raised, imo.

What if your area never gives you a reason to leave?
    then yer where you wanna be. i'm totally in that boat

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    is there any other kind? yer only a local where you were born/raised, imo.
    For people who moved around a lot as a young family, you can be a local of no where. Being a local as a label is worthless to me. So long as I have my home and am happy in it. Who cares what label applies. Where ever you go, there you are.
    Life is not lift served.

It's been my understanding that a dirtbag is someone who chooses to have it together enough to get the goods more than anybody else, both near and far. local somewhere, shredder everywhere.

maybe it's a regional thing.

I always thought of it as bottom feeding. Shopping the day old bread rack, close to the pull date meat, return/scratch and dent sales. Driving up some logging road to camp v.s. paying for a campground. Willing to put in time to save money because you have more of the former then the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    Willing to put in time to save money because you have more of the former then the latter.
    Nicely worded. I'll put my backing to that statement.

Where ever you go, there you are.
    You're going to upset the balance of the brocal hierarchies that've been in place for half a century. How will we know who's the coolest?

I always thought of it as bottom feeding. Shopping the day old bread rack, close to the pull date meat, return/scratch and dent sales. Driving up some logging road to camp v.s. paying for a campground. Willing to put in time to save money because you have more of the former then the latter.
    This is a dirtbag. Penny Pinching is their religion.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    ... brocal ...
    hehe, broccoli aint ever cool.

Ice Land Dick Skier had a good point. I actually quite dislike being called a local by tourists, and my answer: not born here, not a local, just committed enough to stay year round. Which is no better or worse than the skier who follows the season round the world, residing nowhere.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    It's been my understanding that a dirtbag is someone who chooses to have it together enough to get the goods more than anybody else, both near and far. local somewhere, shredder everywhere.
    i'd call that someone smart and motivated. along with getting the goods more than anybody else, it's key to always get the goods 1st on any given day. clean canvas. that means putting in the skinner/booter, every day, how you want it to look/be set, then let the sheeple follow if they must. same with surfing. nothing like being 1st in the water at a particular break. sets the tone. you were there 1st. if i paddle out to a break with someone(s) already there, i give them 1st priority so long as they practice proper etiquette. now even if i've lived surfed/skied a certain area for a number of years day in and day out, i'm always mindful of the real locals/natives and give extra respect/room to those no matter what their ability/motivation. i'm local to one area only. where i grew up. not where i own a home and play every day.

rog

smart, thrifty, yes-dirtbag

rog

Native = Born and raised in a certain place.
    Local = Lived most of their life in a certain place.
    Poser-wanna-be = Telling everyone that they are a local ever since the moment they moved to a certain place.

Dirtbags = Potentially all of the above...
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Native = Born and raised in a certain place.
    Local = Lived most of their life in a certain place.
    Poser-wanna-be = Telling everyone that they are a local ever since the moment they moved to a certain place.

Dirtbags = Potentially all of the above...
    Natives are people with a cultural/historical connection to the area or in other words indigenous people, everywhere but Colorado....
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Natives are people with a cultural/historical connection to the area or in other words indigenous people, everywhere but Colorado....
    Poser-wanna-be, getting that all important P.O. box #
    carpe diem vita brevis

ok, i can see some entertainment potential in this thread. being that it's friday i am gonna bike down the gully to the licka store for a big bottle of cheap vodka. when i get back i will give some change for a nickle!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^NO BRAKES!!!

rog

Wasn't there a great Powmag article about Dirtbag 101 or something back in the early 00's? Maybe Ptor wrote it? Article was about living in the typical Whistler closet so the writer could then spend months in Cham and South America?

Article was kinda a retrospective of spending 4-5 years doing that.

upper gully

back of licka store

dimple dell gully has to be the longest, continuous urban single track in the world!!!!! maybe not but sounds good!!! from my house on 1300 east, next to the gully, i can ride to the licka store at 90th and i15 with only a couple of short road sections. this may seem to be unrelated to the current discussion of the meaning and practice of "dirtbag", however, in reality this practice of staying off the main streets of life is at the heart of "dirtbag" existence. in the end, no one likes a dirt bag of any flavor. hold on - new drink...ok!!!!! on a very general level the use of the term "dirt bag", in print, goes back to the 1800's when it was used as a synonym for sand bag. as it relates to the ski world "the first printed reference to it is in an article in Mansfield News Journal, May 1976 which comments on the case of Spider Sabich, who was shot by Claudine Longet: "Spider, the object of constant adulation, persistent attentions, used to say, "I'm just a dirt bag. Who am I trying to fool?" ... She [Claudine Longet] didn't consider herself a dirt bag."" so let's refine the definition to dirtbag ski bum. the urban dictionary defines ski bum as: "one who works for low pay in exchange for benefits for example free skipasses or the coveted multi area season's pass as well as good deals on gear. as always the best things in life are free. this type usually supports itself in the off season by planting trees or other things sometimes in the bathroom/attic. occasionally these people will engage in activities to simulate skiing ie dragiing your buddy behind an f350 down a dirt road on 206 dynamic skis and a water ski rope." i can go with that in a general way. the same source defines dirtbag as: "A person who is committed to a given (usually extreme) lifestyle to the point of abandoning employment and other societal norms in order to pursue said lifestyle." in short, a dbsb (dirtbag ski bum) is a more dedicated ski bum. (10 minute smoke break)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE

other day dood sez my lifestyle was unwarranted!! i begged his differ and sed "i got 2 warrants in 2 cities!!!" dood got bent and...ok!!! we are back from the break!!! where were we??!! dbsb!!!!!!!!!! what are we? when are we? where are we? who are we? how are we? the following are my opinions. the collective population of natives, locals and tourists of the earth may be compared to a pie. any kid will tell you that there are an infinite number of slices in a pie. as a circle all positions are equal. one very small sliver of a slice of the world pie contains the entire winter sports crowd. the snow sliders are within this sliver. snow sliders are further divided into groups based on equipment, method of access, location of sliding and etc. a very small group of sliders have chosen to make sliding the focus or path of their life for an infinite array of reasons. these sliders are the ski bums. the financial bases for this path or lifestyle are also infinite. at the most basic level the dirtbagging lifestyle allows one to live a million $ existence for pennies!!!!

time to hit the gully again - more later!!!!!!

I am only local for the discounts.

^ don't the handicapped get discounts everywhere?

Zing! OMG you got me good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    upper gully

back of licka store

dimple dell gully has to be the longest, continuous urban single track in the world!!!!! maybe not but sounds good!!! from my house on 1300 east, next to the gully, i can ride to the licka store at 90th and i15 with only a couple of short road sections. this may seem to be unrelated to the current discussion of the meaning and practice of "dirtbag", however, in reality this practice of staying off the main streets of life is at the heart of "dirtbag" existence. in the end, no one likes a dirt bag of any flavor. hold on - new drink...ok!!!!! on a very general level the use of the term "dirt bag", in print, goes back to the 1800's when it was used as a synonym for sand bag. as it relates to the ski world "the first printed reference to it is in an article in Mansfield News Journal, May 1976 which comments on the case of Spider Sabich, who was shot by Claudine Longet: "Spider, the object of constant adulation, persistent attentions, used to say, "I'm just a dirt bag. Who am I trying to fool?" ... She [Claudine Longet] didn't consider herself a dirt bag."" so let's refine the definition to dirtbag ski bum. the urban dictionary defines ski bum as: "one who works for low pay in exchange for benefits for example free skipasses or the coveted multi area season's pass as well as good deals on gear. as always the best things in life are free. this type usually supports itself in the off season by planting trees or other things sometimes in the bathroom/attic. occasionally these people will engage in activities to simulate skiing ie dragiing your buddy behind an f350 down a dirt road on 206 dynamic skis and a water ski rope." i can go with that in a general way. the same source defines dirtbag as: "A person who is committed to a given (usually extreme) lifestyle to the point of abandoning employment and other societal norms in order to pursue said lifestyle." in short, a dbsb (dirtbag ski bum) is a more dedicated ski bum. (10 minute smoke break)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE

other day dood sez my lifestyle was unwarranted!! i begged his differ and sed "i got 2 warrants in 2 cities!!!" dood got bent and...ok!!! we are back from the break!!! where were we??!! dbsb!!!!!!!!!! what are we? when are we? where are we? who are we? how are we? the following are my opinions. the collective population of natives, locals and tourists of the earth may be compared to a pie. any kid will tell you that there are an infinite number of slices in a pie. as a circle all positions are equal. one very small sliver of a slice of the world pie contains the entire winter sports crowd. the snow sliders are within this sliver. snow sliders are further divided into groups based on equipment, method of access, location of sliding and etc. a very small group of sliders have chosen to make sliding the focus or path of their life for an infinite array of reasons. these sliders are the ski bums. the financial bases for this path or lifestyle are also infinite. at the most basic level the dirtbagging lifestyle allows one to live a million $ existence for pennies!!!!

time to hit the gully again - more later!!!!!!
    heh, dig it. lived in dimple dell. loved the riding round there!!! better than the skiing infact all told, taking all the factors into account

rog