Feeler WTB: Fitness kayak

Over the past few years, my dad has gotten into kayaking big time. Started with a cheapie inflatable, outgrew that and bought a real one... outgrew that and bought a faster one. He did the paddle leg of a kayak/bike/run team triathlon last year and was excited to finish mid-pack among the paddlers, but a little bummed that the guy who finished ahead more or less dusted him. So now he wants a faster boat.

I barely even know what a fitness kayak is, but that's what my dad says he wants. Anyone in NY/PA/VT/MA/CT holding a fitness kayak that they want to part ways with? I'm assuming my dad will pick it up so long as its not excessively far from Syracuse. If there's water to paddle nearby, I'm sure that'll serve as additional incentive. I'm not exactly sure what he's looking to spend since he's not exactly sure... but let's say sub-$2500 to start.

PMs preferred on this, I don't think I've ever been in the Kayak sub-forum before so it's not really in my TGR routine.

A fitness boat can be most anything, mostly it should be a stable but fast hull. For me I have a wildwater racing boat for fitness and attainment paddling. If he could find a Perception wavehopper that would be a good fast boat or even a offshore racing sit on top. A wing paddle would also compliment a racing hull but takes proper technique to use.

A lot depends on where and what rivers/water its gonna be used on. I have a training layup wildwater K1 I could let go but I am down in WV.
    watch out for snakes

I have no idea what '"a fitness kayak" is but if all out speed is what you want ... probably one of those sit on top surf skis with a CF wing paddle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

imho he's looking for two different boats. Like scottyb said, if you're just paddling for fitness, you want stable. If you want a fast downriver boat, the way you gain speed in hull design sacrifices stability. Hard to have them both, closest would be the mentioned Wavehopper, or maybe the Prijon Beluga. Even more stable but not quite as fast would be a sea kayak or Perception Pirouette. If he's okay with a tippier design, go ballz out like scotty with a kevlar DR boat which would look something like this. Boatertalk.com might be a good place to inquire as well...

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nevermind! He found something at the local paddle shop. I was led to believe this was going to be an involved search. Quite the opposite I guess. But he's happy to have a new toy!

What did he buy? Honestly, wildwater boats are moderately fast and have their niche, but there are far better options out there for most class I-II flatwater racing and open water racing. Out here in Montana, we have a ton of run, bike, paddle triathlon and other multi-leg adventure races, and we've been going out to a big race in Bellingham (skitosea.com) for 10 years and learning from the paddlers out there. The boats that have been the favorites here are surfskis (fast sit on top boats with easy entrance/exit for multi-sport/triathlon) and boats from West Side Boat Shop in NY. The fastest boats are around 17" wide and 21' long. For a beginner, there are some more stable boats (a little wider) to get started in that are just a little bit slower (2-3%). The "Fitness boat" category is sort of a step down from the all out racing boats, and would include these sort of boats.

Stability is actually a huge factor that should be considered. Faster boats and generally less stable, but you won't necessarily be faster in a less stable boat. In order to be fast, you have to be able to apply power to your stroke - provide good torso rotation, and ensure that your paddle is entering and exiting the water at the right spots. To do this, you need a boat that you can feel comfortable applying power and practicing your stroke.

As someone mentioned above, the wing is key, and pick up Greg Barton's forward stroke technique DVD. Well worth the money. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM. I don't come here as much now that ski season is over. . . :-(

Seth