Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk to me about a 2006 Tundra

Looking at a 2006 tundra. Limited edition, pretty much all the bells and whistles. 103K on her, cap/bedliner included, looks to be in good shape on paper (carfax 1 owner and clean as a whistle), pics look ok. Anything i should be looking for when i go take this beast out?

Kinda got a hankering to turn the back into a platform sleeping area so the wife and kids can take some excursions into places unknown.

Let me know what the gotchas are, I know these are well loved trucks and reliable, but still. From doing some local comps, this one is well equipped compared to some that are higher in price.

Thanks mags.

103k is practically brand new for a Tundra. My dad's '04 has over 350k on it, and STILL runs like new. Has literally had zero problems with it. Crazy reliable, so their reputation definitely seems warranted.

However, you knew that already. To me, the only reason I'm not a fan of the Tundra is their interiors. I've always felt they were like a 90's Camry. Cheap, full of hard plastics, and boring in general. Was always surprised at how dated and behind the times they were when it comes to features, BUT perhaps that's one reason they're so hassle free. Unlike my Jeep Grand Cherokee whose 14 year old features are still light-years ahead of a Toyota, but has had tons of electrical gremlins. Stupid problems on that car that no Tundra will ever see.

As for your '06 Tundra, I say go for it. 103k is pretty low miles for that thing. If you plan on driving it for centuries, you're gonna love it. Should never let you down.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    103k is practically brand new for a Tundra. My dad's '04 has over 350k on it, and STILL runs like new. Has literally had zero problems with it. Crazy reliable, so their reputation definitely seems warranted.

However, you knew that already. To me, the only reason I'm not a fan of the Tundra is their interiors. I've always felt they were like a 90's Camry. Cheap, full of hard plastics, and boring in general. Was always surprised at how dated and behind the times they were when it comes to features, BUT perhaps that's one reason they're so hassle free. Unlike my Jeep Grand Cherokee whose 14 year old features are still light-years ahead of a Toyota, but has had tons of electrical gremlins. Stupid problems on that car that no Tundra will ever see.

As for your '06 Tundra, I say go for it. 103k is pretty low miles for that thing. If you plan on driving it for centuries, you're gonna love it. Should never let you down.

Thanks looking forward to some more responses but this is my initial impression as well. The limited is kinda nice interior wise. has nav and dvd too for the kids....nav..meh..ill stick with my droid.

Keep em coming boys n girls.

Bought an 04 Tundra last summer with 99000 on it. Have since put over 20k on and couldn't be happier. I did the sleeping platform rig and it's awesome.

At 103k miles, make sure the timing belt has been done, or subtract $1000-1500 from the price. If the timing belt has been replace, ask if the water pump was replaced at the same time. 90k is the normal maintenance interval for timing belt, water pump can go longer, but since you're already in there most have both done together.

Only issue I had with mine so far was I sprung a water leak - several of the joints in the Tundra's engine just use black silicone rather than gaskets, and the shop that did the timing belt on mine failed at applying the silicone. Easy fix. But, just check through the engine bay for oil and water leaks. Beyond that, these trucks seem pretty solid.

Had a 2006 Tundra and now have a 2005 LTD. The interior actually grew on me - I wasn't a huge fan at first. Don't use the Nav, but the DVD is nice for longer road trips. I have a platform built in the back for camping just as you are thinking, and it's great. All in all, I love the truck. Gas mileage isn't awesome at ~15/16 mpg. I had something strange going on at one point with my injectors and/or exhaust system. It was still under extended warranty, so Toyota replaced all of my injectors and were starting to consider what to do with my exhaust system when the check engine light just turned off (in my possession, not theirs). Haven't had a problem since. Great truck. I think you'll like it.

I am just trying to gulp down the fact that this is a 2006 with 103K on it and still nearly $20K. Its hard to wrap my head around that. payments of about $350/month when i see commercials for lease deals way lower than that. Also since it was an auction purchase for this dealer there are no service records. Clean carfax, but mustve never been to the dealer for anything cause carfax doesnt show repair intervals on it.

Hmmm decisions decisions.

I just bought a 2006 Tundra Double Cab SR5 last month. Mine had 97k miles, Topper, moonroof, leveling kit and airbags in the rear springs. Two previous owners. I paid $16k. I don't know how much the Limited package is worth but 20k sounds high.

I bought the truck to replace my T100 which ran fine but I needed 4 doors with 2 kids. I love it. Drives like brand new. Gas mileage sucks and the turning radius takes a bit to get used to. I usually park at the far end of the parking lot. But in terms of a family truckster I dig it.

If you want service records you can try to log in to toyota.com and if you have the VIN you can claim it as your vehicle and get all service records that were performed at dealerships. Mine showed that the guy basically took it to the dealer religiously until 60k miles. I figured that was when the warranty expired.

Oh yea, and make sure the 90k-100k maintenance was performed. Timing Belt, water pump etc. It's about a grand to get done.

its really $18K right now.....still working a deal. did register at toyo with VIN and did see a 90K service but in the parts list no timing belt or water pump listed so assuming its not done.

This is a one owner clean ass hell carfax maybe thats why slightly higher..also UT but you're in CO so probably close to same resale values. I like the truck...mine does not have airbags in rear. Does have topper and moonroof, dvd, nav, etc...leather....

Thanks for all the info guys..now its time to keep negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    its really $18K right now.....still working a deal. did register at toyo with VIN and did see a 90K service but in the parts list no timing belt or water pump listed so assuming its not done.

This is a one owner clean ass hell carfax maybe thats why slightly higher..also UT but you're in CO so probably close to same resale values. I like the truck...mine does not have airbags in rear. Does have topper and moonroof, dvd, nav, etc...leather....

Thanks for all the info guys..now its time to keep negotiating.
    I bought mine private party as well. 18k sounds about right from a dealer. I get them to do the timing chain/water pump as part of the deal.

I have an 03 w/116k. Runs perfect.

And what others have said, get them to do the Timing Belt and everything it rolls on. It's over due.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

I bought a 2002 Tundra with 157K last summer for $7200.00. No problems.

ok so they are willing to do the timing belt and water pump before sale. Now I feel like i shouldve beat them up a little more I cant find one that matches in the 100 mile radius that has all features.

Should i be at all concerned with slight rust on the billsteins and some minor (what looks like) surface rust on the frame?

Again much appreciated.

FWIW -
    http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/3818347321.html

(not my ad, don't know anything about it)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FWIW -
    http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/3818347321.html

(not my ad, don't know anything about it)
    I dont know if thats location based pricing or what, but id be skeptical of that price and want to see a carfax for sure. Seems fishy but thanks for linking.

Struts probably ought to be replaced anyway, so i wouldn't worry about that. At that mileage in Utah, you sort of expect to see a bunch of rust. I have a newer Tundra, and had an older Taco, so can't speak to this model in particular, but in general have been stoked on Toyota trucks.
    Keep it unclipped

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

Should i be at all concerned with slight rust on the billsteins and some minor (what looks like) surface rust on the frame?
    No. As mentioned, you should probably replace the shocks/struts anyway, and surface rust on the frame doesn't mean anything in Utah. Really no way around it unless you're hyper vigilant and undercoat every year. But, it takes a hell of a long time for a frame to rust through.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Thanks for all the info guys...

Trigger pulled and picked up yesterday.

How's the truck been working out for you? I've been looking at getting an '06 model as well this spring and putting a platform in the back and a topper. I don't like the looks of the '07 and newer, but it's just a personal preference. Love to hear what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by northbynorthwest30 View Post
    How's the truck been working out for you? I've been looking at getting an '06 model as well this spring and putting a platform in the back and a topper. I don't like the looks of the '07 and newer, but it's just a personal preference. Love to hear what you think.

LOVE it....aside from shit gas mileage its the best move i made...

came with a topper..found a KILLER deal on a custom platform that was built for my model. Fits like a GLOVE....benches when not a full platform. Daughter and I did a few "camping" trips late summer with it and it worked GREAT. Knock wood so far no issues, just oil changes. I bought mine with like 108K on it.

Go for it and dont look back

I have an '01 with 360k miles on it. Oil changes. One radiator. Rebuilt the tranny, but probably didn't need to (long story). I bought it for $12,500 w/112,000 miles, but that was 8 or 9 years ago. I have a new daily driver, but my truck still runs perfect. So if you take care of her, I think she's got some life in her. Great truck!

It's a solid truck. I have an 06 double cab with 160K on it. Been super reliable. All that I've had to do was the timing belt at 90k, and I had to redo the front end stearing / suspension at 145K. But thats probally more to do with me trying to set a land speed record everytime I drive the Baker hwy. Just added air bags to the rear this season and it made a big difference when I have the sled in the back.

Only gripe is the mileage has gone to shit now that it has over 150k on it. Talked to my brother in law who is a Toyota tech and said that was pretty common.

I'm actually looking at getting another truck now, but torn between the reliability of the Tundra and the gas milage of a new diesel. Just wish we had a diesel tundra option!

I love mine - an '05 Limited. Put a topper on and a platform in the back. Super comfortable, roomy, and reliable. For me, I had a strange thing with injectors, but it was covered under the warranty at the time. Otherwise, suspension was a bit soft. It's been oil changes and tires. Great truck. Love mine. Wish it got better mileage.

Seth

Not sure how i missed this first time around...My '06 hit ~145k with no issues, no repairs, no preventative maintenance, no wax. No replacement battery even!! Have stayed on top of fluids, some filters and it hasn't been worked too hard, rarely gets over 60mph unless passing.

Deferred maintenance that will be addressed soon: plugs, wires, brake/rad fluids, valve adj,brakes pads/rotors, shocks, battery, etc...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

LOVE my '06 double cab! Road tripper turned family truckster these days with its topper. Haven't found a good platform for it yet, but that's on the agenda when I find the right one. Oil, tires, and basic maintenance. No others issues yet. My mileage is ~14/18. Best vehicle I have owned.

I'm very very close to writing a $15k check for a 2005 SR5 Tundra double cab with 36k (that's all?!!!) miles. I had it looked over by a mechanic yesterday and all looks good.

How's everybody's Tundra holding up?