Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I don't mind cheap beer in hot weather in foreign countries. Thanks for the malpais recs. looks great and certainly don't care about the drive over a 9 day trip.

Wife and I really enjoyed Puerto Viejo in March. Great food and a cool town. During the day you can rent cruiser bikes and just ride down the coast as there is very little traffic and stop at beaches or go for hikes, check out little cafes, etc.

On the beer, I am such a beer snob but drank the shit out of Imperial and loved every second of it. Something about the climate and atmosphere just makes it right

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Same question, slight parameter change:

1) were a newb surfer but enjoyed it and your wife is a true beginner,
    2) were in San Jose but had a week and a half and could rent a car to get somewhere,
    3) haven't ever been to CR,
    4) were looking for a safe, small town,
    5) don't care about a party scene, actually prefer to be away from that, but do like local foods/flavors/beers.

been looking dominical area, other ideas?
    ive heard good things about avellanas

Dominical is an easy from SJ. Fits your criteria. The surf down there is mainly gentle. Small town. You can stay nearby in the jungle. Plenty of lodging. Good hiking and beaches.

I loved Nosara. Small town but still big enough to have plenty to do and has some great surf. It's a super chill town. I really liked Montezuma when I went a little longer while back, we had a massive bonfire on the beach with a bunch of locals. They love their bongo drums on the pacific side.

+1 on both ^^^^^. More of a drive than D, but Nosara is nice. Montezuma has a few breaks about 5 miles south of town, but otherwise does not have much in the way of surf.