Thread: Surf Hat?

Surf Hat?

I'm headed down to Central America soon, and am considering picking up a surf hat for the trip. Anyone have any advice or experiences with them? Either full brim or the baseball cap style? I'll be in the water a lot, and don't want to have to deal with sun screen every hour.

Get ready to lose your hat. I have 3 that have lasted for quite a while. OR makes a Radar Pocket cap, if you don't mind camo. They have 4 sizes, so you can get it to fit pretty tight. If it's under head-high, no big deal. If it gets bigger, I turn it around when I paddle back out. Stays pretty tight. I also have a Patagonia ball cap that is ok, but mesh in the back, so not so much sun protection. Lastly, a full brim hat from REI. It's a normal bucket style, protects your ears a bit. You just point your head down a bit when you duck dive.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

I just got back from Nicaragua a few weeks ago. I purchased an FCS Wet Bucket and it was perfect. The brim was not too floppy and held it's shape really well. The neoprene chin strap fully covers the ears and I never had a problem with the hat coming off. Even duck diving, it stayed on pretty well. I also have a Patagonia surf brim, and the FCS is way better. FCS also has a ball cap style.

Have fun!

Don't get a floppy hat that will impede your view once its wet. That sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Hugh Conway Guest
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=28826-0-391
    has the nicest ear treatment, the single cords when tight enough to not loose it duck diving starts wearing on wet skin (lost it, but not in the surf). They've gone through, I think, a couple iterations of brim width/stiffness (mine was I think broader and stiffer). there was also a baseball cap from them. Like too many things from there lineup they randomly fuck with it.

edit: ah, hyperbole.

Thanks guys. I was looking into one of these:

Pros are the bill flips up when paddling back out, cons are the shorter bill equals less sun protection. Patagonia used to make one, which now for whatever reason they don't, but I may be borrowing one from a buddy.

that's what I have now. It doesn't look as goofy when it's on your head, as in that pic....pretty tight fit, good strap, cheap.
    get paid

Hugh Conway Guest
    how well does the baseball cap work? I like the big hat, as much as it kinda sucks in the water, because it keeps/reduces sun on the ears and back of the neck.

It Works well, sometimes I push up the brim when I want to see better on the paddle out etc. I'm sure I look like a goober but I don't really care.

I like the look and function of those patagucci hats you posted. I might have to pick one up this season
    get paid

DaKine also makes a more standard hat, which would be better for days under HH.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dakine-surf-trucker-cap-blk-13-zoom.jpg 
Views:	1316 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	137803  

Taca airlines cancelled both of my flights over the weekend...surf trip off. I've got a nice new hat though.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Taca airlines cancelled both of my flights over the weekend...surf trip off. I've got a nice new hat though.
    That sucks bolas.
    I had the previous iteration of the hat HC posted and don't ever get a floppy brim hat like that. Too big in the water, WAY too hot on land. The new one looks better. I have the FCS hat that RJ has and can back him up it works great, fyi those that find themselves in the OP's position.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Too big in the water, WAY too hot on land.
    How is a big brimmed hat hot on land? more sun protection = better, cooler, ime. the neopreney lashing thing ya, that's kinda warm. but the brim?

Hugh, any insight as to why Patagonia keeps fucking with their lineup?? They removed the 23" board shorts, and the micro puff series vanished. WTF?
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    How is a big brimmed hat hot on land? more sun protection = better, cooler, ime. the neopreney lashing thing ya, that's kinda warm. but the brim?
    The neoprene lash, when you stuff it up in the hat (as designed, suggested, only place to put it) makes the hat super hot. And having the things dangling off like Colonel Mustard's muttonchops is unacceptable. And hot. And they stick to my unshaved visage.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Hugh, any insight as to why Patagonia keeps fucking with their lineup?? They removed the 23" board shorts, and the micro puff series vanished. WTF?
    I imagine micro puff is gone because they didnt sell, compared to the nano puffs and down sweaters.

Bumping this. I'm going to Playa Los Cerritos in a few weeks, and I think the DaKine Indo is the one to get. No?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ever tried Waterman's 55 spf sunscreen? It's relatively expensive but the stuff works great for surfing because it doesn't wash off while surfing. Probably have to order online though.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Freeskier View Post
    Ever tried Waterman's 55 spf sunscreen? It's relatively expensive but the stuff works great for surfing because it doesn't wash off while surfing. Probably have to order online though.
    Is this stuff significantly better than everything else or what? Best deal I found was $245 a gallon for it. First day out I got fried.

I was wondering. I used to use Bullfrog, but now we like coopertone sport, even though it has the deadly chemical.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

They sell sunscreen by the gallon? I learn something new everyday.

Watermans is expensive and still wears off but IMO you can go a little longer in the water before reapplying it. I use headhunter for everyday sunscreen and occasionally bring a small can of Watermans on surf trips, occasionally I don't bring it on trips. The hat trumps Watermans though

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Bumping this. I'm going to Playa Los Cerritos in a few weeks, and I think the DaKine Indo is the one to get. No?
    I went for this:

http://www.oregonsurfshop.com/dakine-surf-cap.html

Really happy. No sunscreen can compete with a hat, especially if you plan to spend 6+ hrs in the water daily. Get a good rash guard too.

Watermans sunscreen

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Is this stuff significantly better than everything else or what? Best deal I found was $245 a gallon for it. First day out I got fried.
    I surf San Diego every weekend of the year (mostly), and only use watermans. Good for 2-2.5 hours sessions on my bald head face and neck. On 3' days or smaller I just wear a baseball cap. My skin though tans easily as apposed to burns. I really like this stuff but do have to adjust my attitude a little when I step up to the cash register with my credit card.

The first time I ever saw sunscreen by the gallon was when I was on the Loveland Ski Patrol. Kept a gallon by the door with a pump handle on it. Very cool (and thoughtful of the Patrol).

Cheers-