Gravelly Range Montana Trails?

Has anyone ever ridden the gravelly range in SW montana. I am thinking specifically of the trails in the wall cr. area. I'll be up there this summer for some camping along the madison and I am wondering about riding posibilities as it looks like there are a lot of trails there or anywhere else in that area. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hofman View Post
    Has anyone ever ridden the gravelly range in SW montana. I am thinking specifically of the trails in the wall cr. area. I'll be up there this summer for some camping along the madison and I am wondering about riding posibilities as it looks like there are a lot of trails there or anywhere else in that area. Thanks.
    I used to live in Virginia City so am somewhat familiar with the Northern side of the GRR but can't really speak to Wall Creek area trails (sorry.)

With that in mind, here's some options in Madison County.

For Northern Gravelly's, I would ride UP the dump road (from VC), to Axolotl lakes (the top of the climb) make a right, continue climbing for a bit, There were a few downhill options, but I think they all ultimately return to VC via the Gulch... there's a few options back in there.

That ride isn't overly technical and mostly double-trackish, but there are very scenic views of the Madison Range when you get to the top.

If you head N from Ennis (past Norris) and take a left @ Harrison and head up to Pony there's more technical riding up to the lakes up there. The climb is more of a grind than VC and the trail is rockier, but the singletrack and lakes are much nicer.

I've heard Hidden Lake (near Cliff & Wade Lakes) is a good ride.

To be honest, I would skip "exploring" GRR entirely in favor of the epic rides around Hebgen referenced in the other BZN/MT/Billings

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-and-thank-you

Sheep (Henry's Mountains)
    Mile (Henry's)
    CDT from Targhee Pass (Henry's)
    Red Canyon (N side of Hebgen)

Those trails are all on the BZN/BigSky/West Yellowstone map.

The GRR is a bit west of the Beartooth map boundry if I recall correctly, but FS/BLM maps are available in Ennis and have info on GRR since it gets a ton of ATV/Snowmobile use...

Not sure when you're set to arrive, but we took the "guided" wildflower tour the FS offers a few years back on the GRR and it was a good way to explore the area...

Thanks,

I used to live in Bzn. But havn't ridden in this area at all. I've also never tried the lionshead trails and maybe I should give that a go. I was going to meet friends there and camp along the madison this summer and they suggested this area (for fishing). I got out my B-D map and noticed all of the trails that come out of there and it looked intriguing so I was wondering if I should take my bike too for when the fish aren't biting.

If you feel like going down there, just ride the damn Pioneers, or whatever it is.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

what, no GPS coordinates, GoPro footage and proof that you publicized the trails to every rich Californian, Washingtonian, Oregonian, Coloradan, and Texan?

How else are the Rontals of the world going to know it's hip?

Quote Originally Posted by hofman View Post
    Thanks,

I used to live in Bzn. But havn't ridden in this area at all. I've also never tried the lionshead trails and maybe I should give that a go. I was going to meet friends there and camp along the madison this summer and they suggested this area (for fishing). I got out my B-D map and noticed all of the trails that come out of there and it looked intriguing so I was wondering if I should take my bike too for when the fish aren't biting.
    You can stop in Ennis and talk to the FS folks -- I used to occasionally ride with Jonathan Klein who knows a lot of Madison County trail beta, but think he retired last year.

If you've never ridden Henry's (Lionhead) it's the best/second best riding in SW Montana (outside Curly Lake Highline), but I'm sure you could explore Wall Creek trails for shorter / less epic adventures.

what, no GPS coordinates, GoPro footage and proof that you publicized the trails to every rich Californian, Washingtonian, Oregonian, Coloradan, and Texan?
    They can just come here, drop a bunch of coin, and find out the hard way that the riding in most of those states is bettter anyways!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Cause the Dillon area gets soooo much traffic...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.