Thread: Thumb rehab

Thumb rehab

Finally got the splint/cast thing off my thumb that I sprained/fractured during the EC summit (thus explaining my mysterious disappearance, not that anyone missed me ). So of course now my thumb is really stiff, I'm at maybe 20 degrees flexion, and my other opposable digit goes to 80 or so. Doc gave me a script for therapy, but I'd really like to skip that. He recommended waiting 5 or 6 days, and then going to therapy if there was little/no improvement.

Any suggestions for getting all the motion back? I've been bending it, soaking in warm water to loosen it up, and even iced it for a little while last night.

As a sax player, kinda important that I get it all the way healed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    Finally got the splint/cast thing off my thumb that I sprained/fractured during the EC summit (thus explaining my mysterious disappearance, not that anyone missed me ). So of course now my thumb is really stiff, I'm at maybe 20 degrees flexion, and my other opposable digit goes to 80 or so. Doc gave me a script for therapy, but I'd really like to skip that. He recommended waiting 5 or 6 days, and then going to therapy if there was little/no improvement.

Any suggestions for getting all the motion back? I've been bending it, soaking in warm water to loosen it up, and even iced it for a little while last night.

As a sax player, kinda important that I get it all the way healed up.
    Stick with the warm water soaks. But got to therapy at least for the first few visits to get things on track. Then, if you are making progress, you can think about ditching it.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com