Skatopia: 88 Acres of Anarchy

You can watch the whole documentary for free here or here.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

A YouTube vid of Skatopia;

I grew up in some places that were pretty Sk8 averse. I wish I was older when we lived in Geneva, Switzerland, as that city oddly had a growing skate culture, in that weird, cosmopolitan euro way. Bloomfield Michigan was definitely not too skate friendly...the cops would hassle you pretty much anywhere. We'd end up skating behind places like west maple middle.school after hours and getting chased by the principle who would always threaten to call the cops on us but never did. I think they finally built skateparks in town AFTER we'd moved away.

I wasn't a big gnarly sk8r freak..
    .mostly because I sucked and couldn't do decent grabs for shit...but I still felt the persecution that all skaters used to get from "the man" and for the most part still do. Matters weren't helped by the fact that I was always on neon green plastic GT boards with wide wheels when the neighborhood delinquents were on their cool looking, wide-trucked, shaved-down wheel, wood decks. See....stickers just wouldn't stick to that plastic for shit!! It's like the manufacturers of the GT boards made those boards sticker-proof on purpose, just so we can announce to the world in our wide-wheeled, anti-delinquent way, that "Yup...I'm a nerd! What ya fuckin' gonna do about it, huh??"

Looking back, I think I woulda had the shit kicked out of me every day if we had a park like Skatopia in my neighborhood. But one thing for sure...I probably would have made the switch from skiing to riding WAY earlier than I did had there been one like Skatopia to go to.

Can you POSSIBLY get more uncool than this board?

No....that isn't me...I swear!! My board was neon green! But I DID look suspiciously like the kid on the left...including the bell bottoms.

Nerds UNITE!!!

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

That is a great video. I used to skate at Skatopia in Cali way back in the late 70"s.
    I think I still have my pass for it. I will try and remember to scan it and post it up.