1 2.94%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MPC #103 - Relationship - Voting Ends 4/29

kidwoo

angry swede

supermodel159

geomorph

smmokan

I saw angry swede's in the thread and immediately knew that was the one I was voting for prior to the voting thread going up. I like the composition and interpretation of relationship in that one.

And I'm not normally one to criticize entries but I don't get Steve's. It's two pictures on top of each other with captions explaining relationship. I personally don't consider that a photo. That's more of a composition. Guess I'm splitting hairs here but would like to see the idea in a single exposure or at least multiple exposure with the same framing. *shrug*

Not to mention the font sucks.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Heh... I'm honored to be chosen, but my entry was more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

I really just wanted to show off my sweet PS skills.

Nice one super! Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I saw angry swede's in the thread and immediately knew that was the one I was voting for prior to the voting thread going up. I like the composition and interpretation of relationship in that one.

And I'm not normally one to criticize entries but I don't get Steve's. It's two pictures on top of each other with captions explaining relationship. I personally don't consider that a photo. That's more of a composition. Guess I'm splitting hairs here but would like to see the idea in a single exposure or at least multiple exposure with the same framing. *shrug*

Not to mention the font sucks.
    It's in there because there were four nice shots and one funny on in the thread.

Oh, I wasn't giving your choice shit, I was giving Steve shit

Is it just me, or has participation been down for the few MPCs?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Is it just me, or has participation been down for the few MPCs?
    I chalked it up to winter and people were busy skiing. But who knows. Yes, there has been a major decline.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Oh, I wasn't giving your choice shit, I was giving Steve shit
    That's perfectly fine, because I was giving Poopghost shit.

Participation is definitely down. I for one have been hobbled by my recent surgery and haven't been out shooting at all. I had some ideas for this one but given limited mobility, PT appointments, other things that need my attention right now, and work, just haven't had the time or inclination to get out and pursue photography.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Yea, I've been meaning to contribute my mediocre work to the past few mpcs, but there's just something about working full time, going to grad school full time, and having 2 kids under 3 that makes free time for hobbies pretty hard to come by...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Yea, I've been meaning to contribute my mediocre work to the past few mpcs, but there's just something about working full time, going to grad school full time, and having 2 kids under 3 that makes free time for hobbies pretty hard to come by...
    You're so goddamn lazy!

yeah, i always like the mpcs and its fun to participate, but all i usually take pictures of from december till may are mountains, snow and people skiing...

freak~[&]

All fair points. I wasn't trying to call anyone out or anything, just commenting on something I'd noticed. I guess I'm also pretty new to having a decent camera, so there is still a lot of excitement for me to take pictures of different subjects and topics. At least the reduced participation gives me better odds of getting my mediocre shots into the top 5.

I think there are too many of them. One a month would be awesome.

I agree with Tipp. I haven't shot for the MPC in a long ass time, mostly because my life resembles Jay's, but a longer window, even if not a month, would probably see more entry's.

ahhhh, the relationship between freckles and red hair. always a winner in my book.

and i just got angyswede's. at first i didn't notice the whole gearing relationship because i didn't notice the wheel was spinning superfast. that is nice.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I think there are too many of them. One a month would be awesome.
    I'm going to open the next MPC to a full month (of May). Any objections state them now.

Edit: Never mind this message, the polls are still open...
    Last edited by supermodel159; 04-29-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Make sure the topic doesn't suck if it's gonna be up a month

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I also think that trying to not repeat topics is getting a little hard, and a lot of new people are participating now, and a lot of old people aren't anymore, and some topics could be revisited, especially simple ones, like water...
    I agree with this. I see no problem revisiting one that wasn't done really recently. Hell, the MPC's started almost 6 years ago. Definitely safe to revisit IMHO.

I don't really throw in because I don't think my photos hold a candle.

But, I think allowing repeats is a good idea. Some of the broader themes have probably been used, and allowing re-use of those broad themes would allow more participation.

I voted for angry swede because its a clever interpretation of the theme. Of course, all you old guys have kids and voted for the obvious entry.

I think a month is a really long time, and I would probably not post my pictures until the end in hopes of getting something better, and if everyone did that, it would reduce interest until the end, because one of the things that inspires ideas and getting out to shoot is looking at and discussing other peoples pictures...

I had a couple pictures for this one, but I wasn't real happy with them and ended up not posting them in time.

I also think that trying to not repeat topics is getting a little hard, and a lot of new people are participating now, and a lot of old people aren't anymore, and some topics could be revisited, especially simple ones, like water...
    From an observer, what about two concurrent MPC's, one month long each (staggered two weeks to keep it fresh for the regulars). i.e. the winner of this would start #104 and then #105 two weeks later, each running 1 month. Then back to the regular one winner starts the next one.

I'm normally way too busy to even think about a shot, but normally when I have a minute to dig my camera out of the closet, I'm out of time, or worried that I won't have a chance to process and upload, etc.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I just looked and it seems like the past 4 or 5 MPCs have run about 12 days apiece (except #101 which was extended..)

The jump to a month seems kinda drastic to me, what about something like 15-20 days?

Here's my proposal:

Start the next MPC on Friday. Run it for 17 days until the Sunday 2+ weeks later.. vote from Monday till Thursday and start again on the Friday 22 days (3 weeks) from the previous one.

That way it'll be consistent and we get 3 weekends per contest to get out and shoot.

Also fwiw I like the plan of recycling old ideas...

^^ Both good ideas.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I think we should cut the list of old contests at some place. maybe 2 years ago?? and then every time someone makes a new contest they leave off the oldest contest. Then we wont be repeating things too often.
    that's exactly what i was thinking.
    i also like the idea of a standardized time frame, but also think a month is too long. maybe a month per contest, including a week for voting. Oft times the maggot running the contest wil say they won't be able to pick the finalists until they get back from their weekend, etc. In that case the contest should still end, and that time should come out of the voting period.
    my 2/5ths of a nickel.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.