Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hmmm no hatches (I was fiddling with my post when you replied) I like the sounds of that a lot. Maybe just 1-3 D-rings to lash the bags in.

Thinking I would rather add s-glass than kevlar to the boat. I can search that more later.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Hmmm no hatches (I was fiddling with my post when you replied) I like the sounds of that a lot. Maybe just 1-3 D-rings to lash the bags in.
    That's basically it - he had a slug of web tie downs and bungie nets inside. he also added some nylon pockets in the far bow & stern during layup so he could rest the ends of stuff like tent poles, then lash the rest to the hull. I think he laid out all his gear stowage before building up the deck - joked that he would have to sell the boat if he changed out any of his kit

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

I think I want to paddle at a high angle with more rapid turn over style as that mimics my canoeing style.
    ?
    I have paddled WW with short high angle sticks for a great many years but I prefer the low angle CF Kaliste for touring cuz I can keep up the low angle stroke all day and I use a 220 at 5'8"

really unless you try a couple of different styles preferably back to back ... you will just be guessing

the paddle is the thing I hold in my hands all the time, when I have been out all day having to paddle without being able to land the last thing I think about is saving a few $
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I now own the kayak. The builder ended up with some air bubbles on parts of the long seam where the upper half and lower half are joined. I am looking into using a dremel to excavate and then buff out the cavities. Fill and then refinish with 4 0z 2" tape. There is one spot in the cockpit and another on the bow that need fiberglass work. Guessing 10 hours total, which often means 30 in my math.

I will then work on building a good seat for myself.

XXX-er, ended up buying a paddle very close to what you described-straight shaft 220 low angle paddle. LL Bean's which is right up the road and has great warranty had an Aquabond Sting Ray Hybrid Paddle for $190.- a carbon shaft with a molded blade. The paddle felt good in my hands in the store-nice light paddle.

Water is beginning to warm up.

Will search Vimeo and Youtube for videos on kayak handling-if anyone knows of good ones shout out

Found this set-seemed pretty good http://vimeo.com/paddleordie/videos

edit: ordered spray skirt, 5" deck gear stash, knee braces, and hand toggles. I will visit Lincoln Canoe for Minicell foam for bulkheads and thoughts on my seat.
    Last edited by cat in january; 05-02-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Congrats - sweet boat.

This book is pretty good for explaining paddling strokes, bracing and rescue techniques. After that, paddle a lot. No doubt your canoe experience will make the transition easy
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Sea-...f+sea+kayaking

Learn to exit/re-enter the boat without help before you get beyond the point where you feel good about swimming back. I've lost count of the "Help, I've fallen out and can't get back in!" rescues I've had to do in flat water...

Any paddling clubs in your area? They usually have skills development classes, and you can pick up skills on their group paddles.

Watch the film Paddle to Seattle for touring inspiration

Kayak outfitting.com has great prices and selection of minicell, fast shipping too.
    http://www.kayakoutfitting.com/

SO I already have the high$$$ Kalliste touring paddle but I still need a spare paddle, I was thinking of just buying the cheapest AQB that still had a composite shaft but a buddy who works at the local paddle shop suggested I look at the cheap werners, so I ended up buying the Werner Skagit FG IM for 130$us, carbon shaft/FG molded blades /the werner adjustable ferrule/ same low angle blade shape ... basicly the lowest $ version of the kalliste in a straight shaft

http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/tou.../skagit_fg_im/

I took the Skagit out today swapping back & forth with the high end Kallliste, the blade feels much the same when pulled thru the water as the Kalliste probably cuz it looks to be an exact copy but in molded plastic/FG, it doesn't float as well as an expensive foam core blade but the blades do float, the werner adjustable ferrule on a paddle this cheap is damn good, same with the carbon blend shaft so I was pretty damn impressed with what werner has done on the lowest end

So what does 130$ vs 475$ buy you, the difference in weight is 200grams, also the $$$ paddle is stiffer , also the $$$ foam core blades float SO well, probably the biggest thing I feel is how the profile of the shaft fits in my hands and with that neutral bend I don't think my thumbs will blister as easy, also the bent shaft is easier on the wrist

Sweet backup paddle - damn nice value.

I used an old Camano for my spare. Heavy, but fine otherwise. I found the weight difference gets really noticable after 3 hours of paddling....

Glad you like the bent shaft. I could never get used to one, mostly I think because I like to move my hand position a lot.

yeah I think the low buck Werner's are > the low buck AQB's which have been the low buck stick I would buy, that ferrule is the same as on a 475 $ paddle ...VERY nice having infinite adjustment, a buddy has put so many miles on an older werner carbon with the old hole & button that the joint is wearing out

yeah when you are grinding out the miles the extra 200 grams gets to be a lot of weight and you appreciate the nicer stick, same with the nice hand position but is the cost worth it ?

when my Kalliste got stolen in my car I called up the shop and ordered another Kalliste without missing a beat

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    Kayak outfitting.com has great prices and selection of minicell, fast shipping too.
    http://www.kayakoutfitting.com/
    ..and they stock(or at least used to), the thin, multi-layered, multi-density stuff that's soft to plop any weight(any portion of your legs) on.... Put it on top of the higher density blocks to soften to save your circulation in a close fit in the hips..
    Last edited by steved; 06-27-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Don't know if its been mentioned but learning how to navigate would be my first suggestion.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

a year between posts is kind of weird eh

I have been getting my buddies full size marine charts photocopied at the printing store which is way cheaper but the downside is they are not so water resistant (wide celo tape is yer friend), I put them in a map case which I beiner to the deck lines along with a marine compass, I also print off the tide charts for where I will be, so I alwasy know where I am

I got a water resistant VHF radio for 125$ I listen to the coast guard channel every night to find out what the weather will be so I don't get caught out in shit or I can plan to be in a good place to sit out a storm, still shit happens 2 years ago the storm we acurately scoped and braced for carved a new stream channel thru our camp and last month the storm we sat out blew the sil tarp to pieces ... glad we chose to stay on shore for those. That "red sky at night sailors delight " saying is bulshit BTW

LOL....nothing like trying to catch up on threads..jeez...;-)
    Last edited by steved; 06-27-2014 at 06:51 AM.