Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ON3P Delam

ON3P Delam

I've been on a pair of Tychoons for the majority of the season and have been loving them. My wife picked up a pair last March and had a significant delam during the first 4 hours of skinning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qs8EQlp.jpg 
Views:	1429 
Size:	564.7 KB 
ID:	136743

She contacted ON3P about the issue and got this response-

Hey Mrs T,

Thanks for the email and sorry to see the skis like that. Honestly, I've never seen something like that happen before. It would be one thing to delam, but to also rip the topsheet, it is strange to see.

They might be something we would cover under warranty if there is something wrong with the bonding. At the very least, we would probably be the best spot to fix the skis and get them in as good of shape as we can.

Do you have time to ship them back to us for 2-3 days? I can give you our fedex number or send a return label if it helps. If you don't have time, let me know and I will respond with repair instructions for the meantime.

She requested a shipping label to send them back and hasn't heard back from them in 3 weeks. Some epoxy should take care of the damage, but I think it's crazy this should happen half a day in on the first outing.

Just wanted to give the collective a heads up. Between the two of us we've bought 7 pairs of ON3P skis and have had nothing but a great product and great customer service, and have recommended the company to a lot of folks. This latest transaction has disappointed me quite a bit.

Well jesus, you better post about it on the internet. I'm guessing you haven't called and asked if the email slipped through?

spook Guest
    yes yes only good stuff, please. people are trying to sell their shit for god's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Well jesus, you better post about it on the internet.
    Says the guy with 1,975 posts....

Only 1974 right now, I better fix that. There. A whopping 0.86 per day.

I'd call, I have heard that there was some change in who was handling the manufacturing and warranty stuff in the last month, pretty easy for the email to slip through.

Could be wrong though.

shit happens. they typically take care of their customers. call them before you badmouth them.

I find it hard to believe that 4 emails over 3 weeks "slips through".

I'm not bad mouthing them, as stated above, both our quivers consist of ON3P exclusively, that's all we ski. Just want others to be aware that we have had an uncharacteristic issue with the product and customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    shit happens. they typically take care of their customers. call them before you badmouth them.
    There was no badmouthing and nothing but facts. Four e-mails is not shit happens. If people post about great service (DPS thread above) why not post when something is amiss. ON3P is a great company and have a great rep for great service but these things happen and it is a great chance for them to check how things are being dealt with and to make sure they are giving the service I am sure they want to.

Their growth as a company is due to their quality but as with any company with rapid growth, they need to review processes they have in place to make sure they provide the standard of service they always have. Nothing wrong with a factual reminder on the internet about that

Don't see any delam in that photo, just a strip of torn topsheet (and topsheets don't just fall apart on their own, something she did tore it). Maybe post another photo?

Using a prepaid return shipping label is a bit over the top, you have to pay return shipping for warranty work or exchange in any industry. Send them in as they requested and they'll fix it, though it appears to be only cosmetic damage.

If she merely tore the topsheet somehow, might want to just epoxy it down yourself (or cut off the loose piece). Nice of ON3P to offer to fix it for you though. For the record I've never owned any ON3P skis or have any affiliation, so my $0.02 are completely unbiased.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 04-19-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    The request for a prepaid shipping label is a bit over the top, you have to pay return shipping for warranty work or exchange in any industry. Send them in as they requested and they'll fix it, IMHO the delay is on your end.

This.

Also, jeeeeeeeeesus what the fuck happened to those skis??? You weren't just skinning along and POW the topsheet curled up like a fucking spring coil. That does not just happen. Please tell us what happened to the skis if you're going to try to badmouth ON3P for not paying to see if your claim warranted compensation. That looks more like user error, but we can't know until you give us the whole story.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Maybe you should start a new thread. It should be titled "Is ON3P liable for my stupid wife crashing into something and ruining her new skis?"
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

How I see it:

- The issue here is customer service, not the question of whether ON3P is responsible for fixing/replacing the skis. That's up to them and the OP to work out.

- ON3P should respond to the emails. From what I hear, ON3P generally has great response to customers so it sounds like this must be an anomaly. If they're currently having some internal issues compromising their customer service, this could be their wake-up call to fix them and maintain their stellar reputation.

- ON3P offered the shipping label which the OP accepted. By the sound of it, it was not an unreasonable request made by the OP. In any case, even unreasonable requests warrant a response, even if the answer is no.

- Based on the attempted communication, the OP likely felt this was the only way to get a response. Given that communication attempts went on for a month, it doesn't seem that this thread was overly hasty.

- It's amazing how supportive this community is of individuals within it who start something. That said, it is not unreasonable to bring legitimate issues to light. The "how dare you say something bad about ON3P" thing is a bit ridiculous.

^^Mostly agree, but sometimes you just need to pick up the phone.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Mostly agree, but sometimes you just need to pick up the phone.
    Came here to say that.

Also, that's not what I would call a delam. It's obvious something tore the topsheet.

But seriously...pick up a phone.
    Training for Alpental

Ski jammed into snow to attach skins?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Or a kickturn gone bad...
    Last edited by sfotex; 04-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Seriously. Looks like she blasted it into the snow and happened to hit a sharp rock which gouged the topsheets off on that spot. It's really the only thing I can think of that would generate enough force in that direction for that to happen... But since OP hasn't shared his story, we have nothing to go by. Either way, this is likely NOT a warranty issue and the OP should have known that. It probably wasn't a manufacturer defect in the least, and looks like it didn't even happen skiing.

"Waaaah, they didn't respond to my bullshit request to waste their time and money"

Or if that's wrong, please OP- have a shred of objectivity and tell us the WHOLE story so we won't have to play CSI:Aspen. ALSO, the thread title is complete fucking bullshit- That's not a delam, asspipe. At this point I'm inclined to tell you to fuck off unless I'm missing something pretty fuckin' huge about this whole scenario.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    ALSO, the thread title is complete fucking bullshit- That's not a delam, asspipe. At this point I'm inclined to tell you to fuck off unless I'm missing something pretty fuckin' huge about this whole scenario.
    As a dude that spent 10+ years fixing things such as this, if I was writing a repair ticket for these skis it would say something to the effect of 'Repair topsheet delam'. There are many ways delams happen, improper bonding(not saying thats the case here) only being one of them.

who's to say there wasn't a resin void in there? That's why their offer to check it out is legit - they'll tell you what's up with it, and fix it good & proper.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    As a dude that spent 10+ years fixing things such as this, if I was writing a repair ticket for these skis it would say something to the effect of 'Repair topsheet delam'. There are many ways delams happen, improper bonding(not saying thats the case here) only being one of them.

I always thought of a legit delam claim as a separation that happens during normal usage and comes from a poor bond, not because it didn't stand up to someone spearing a rock with them while they weren't even skiing.

But I could obviously be wrong, a douchebag, on the internet or all of the above.

Tail clip topsheet rip that was then peeled up by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Came here to say that.

Also, that's not what I would call a delam. It's obvious something tore the topsheet.

But seriously...pick up a phone.
    FWIW, I just did pick up the phone to let Scott know someone was talking smack about his skis here. VM box is full....

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Rowan was leaving ON3P to go back to school. They may be on vaca right now after a season of 80 hour workweeks, or may be on the road with demos. Poor excuse in this age of call forwarding, but they are a very small business. Regardless, Scott is good people and not the type to risk his company rep over something like this. I have to be out that way this PM - may stop by the shop and see what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    FWIW, I just did pick up the phone to let Scott know someone was talking smack about his skis here. VM box is full....
    I don't have a horse in this race, but keep the lynch mob shit in check. Dude hasn't said a bad thing about them. He posted a picture and asked for help. That's it. You guys love making assumptions up the ass. I forgot how awesome it is to flex the internet muscles to a bunch of ski nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapp View Post
    I find it hard to believe that 4 emails over 3 weeks "slips through".

I'm not bad mouthing them, as stated above, both our quivers consist of ON3P exclusively, that's all we ski. Just want others to be aware that we have had an uncharacteristic issue with the product and customer service.

The full story- We were skinning into a basin. Multiday trip so we had pretty good loads. No kick turns at this point, straight up a valley. We were putting along when I hear "Holy shit!" I turn around and wifey says "There's top sheet flapping around." Sure enough there was that strip. She skied it like that for the next 3 days without a problem. We got home and contacted ON3P.

Our best guess is there was a chip like DeathVan mentioned and her pant leg caught it. I don't know how there could have been a chip already, skins were put on once. I don't understand how that happens unless there's a bonding issue. We really don't give a shit about the skis, we'll epoxy them up and let 'em ride. It is a bummer to drop some coin on new skis only to have them start falling apart immediately but whatever.

Customer service has us bummed though. They've been great to us in the past, answering any questions, they switched graphics for her Caylors, just awesome. Again, Im not bad mouthing the company, just raising awareness.

Another pic of the tail with strip clamped down-

Without the clamp-

This is the other ski. We're guessing this is what caught her pant leg and ripped-

These are the tails of my Tychoons with about 40 BC days on them. These tails have been jammed into rocks, have had hundreds of kick turns, have been tossed over creeks and over rocks and generally used and abused. They, along with the other ON3P skis we have are holding up more than awesome-

I don't understand how the other skis hold up just fine and this one has an issue immediately unless there's an issue with the construction.