Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    My week of skiing POW in Portillo!

Attachment 140270
    That's how you harvest the goods! Ver nice!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Any updates from Ushuaia? I'm currently in Bariloche and was thinking about heading down there to check out the region and obviously ride Castor. Has the snow been staying good down there?

@ cgardner88 I'm in Bariloche and planning to shred Cerro Catedral tomorrow. 6'6 with an orange arcteryx hardshell and black pants, Blue and orange ABS backpack and 200cm Lotus 120s. Can't miss me. Looking to hit the sidecountry and Refugios too.Dunkelgelb, I think I met you last year. Were you the guy shredding in a shin length black coat? If so we should link up. Also does anybody on here know a guy from Colorado who lives here in the winters named Tres? I'm trying to link up with him too.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner88 View Post
    Any updates from Ushuaia? I'm currently in Bariloche and was thinking about heading down there to check out the region and obviously ride Castor. Has the snow been staying good down there?

Snowed all day today at castor tomorrow should be awesome. Still snow levels are not what they should be at this time of year but it is a ton of fun. Short hike off the back side last week knee to thigh deep powder everywhere firmed up a bit but did not get much above freezing. Pics tomorrow
    Last edited by tylerjames; 08-19-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Cerro castor did not open today because of the wind and snow. Reports from the mountain said the summit got a meter of fresh.

2 of us going to Portillo august 24-31.

anyone have some tips on good lines, hikes, etc. definitely planning to hit the super C couloir.

anyone else going to be there that week? Looks like a storm at the end of the week!!!! so stoked!

Hey - heading to SA in a few weeks and looking to go to Bariloche. Any hostel recommendations? Hoping to ski mostly in the backcountry - access tips? recommended trips? Are the huts open this winter?

We haven't had luck in tracking down the elusive guidebook - is it available idn English there? How about topo maps?

Many thanks!

I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    2 of us going to Portillo august 24-31.

anyone have some tips on good lines, hikes, etc. definitely planning to hit the super C couloir.

anyone else going to be there that week? Looks like a storm at the end of the week!!!! so stoked!
    surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

I will be in Portillo Sept 1-2 with the wifey, would be happy to meet up.

sorry shasti, just checked the board again, was pretty busy with the past two days of fresh. I'm heading up tomorrow

still trying to decide if i should head to ushuaia, I wanna check it out but we just got a bunch of snow at Catedral and I'm starting learn the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by schmaimee View Post
    Hey - heading to SA in a few weeks and looking to go to Bariloche. Any hostel recommendations? Hoping to ski mostly in the backcountry - access tips? recommended trips? Are the huts open this winter?

We haven't had luck in tracking down the elusive guidebook - is it available idn English there? How about topo maps?

Many thanks!
    there is some backcountry accessible from the lifts, bring skins. stuff closer to the resort gets tracked very fast.
    refugio frey is open and has nice terrain.
    topo maps are available everywhere, they are not very good though.

freak~[&]

shasti: we met a couple of days ago skinning in the resort in crap weather. you were with the guy with the trekker/guardian issue, our friend supplied a screwdriver. freak and I were on the bus with you going back to town. are you sticking around bariloche?
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Hoping to ski mostly in the backcountry - access tips?
    Use lifts, avoid forest.

Are the huts open this winter?
    frey is the only one that is manned. it is nice and comfortable.
    jacob and laguna negra are left at least partially unlocked to provide emergency shelter so you can get in and have a winter room type deal.
    lopez is locked.

We haven't had luck in tracking down the elusive guidebook - is it available idn English there?
    no
    How about topo maps?
    yes
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

RE: cgardner88

Ushuaia has been getting good snow the past two weeks, the resort itself is nowhere near as big as Bariloche but the backcountry options are huge and all at sea level the place reminds me of Valdez. If anyone is looking for a guide around the area Sebastian comes highly recommended from a few of the locals in the area (0290115581139).

Short hike of the back side from Las Piedras lift
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1175222_10152149455642468_1485877002_n.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	140479

Name:	64443_10152172954787468_2090258397_n.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	140480

Name:	644291_10152149994182468_1634703363_n.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	140481

Inbounds as of last week

Name:	1098267_10152172954992468_1807559874_n.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	140482

How bad is las Lenas right now? Not hearing a lot of chatter and going in 11 days

You already got info on the backcountry. Yeah, the forest is the pits to bushwack out of.

I've stayed at this Hostel both times I've been through Bariloche. It is pretty central...a short walk from the public transit to Cerro Catedral. Owned by a Kiwi snowboarder. Great staff. Great guests (during my visits). I've bumped into a few maggots.

http://hostel41below.com/
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    How bad is las Lenas right now? Not hearing a lot of chatter and going in 11 days
    Just left Lenas yesterday. They definately are in need of more snow now. It was supposed to snow some last night and today...nit sure what they got.
    FYI I'm headed to Portillo and stuck in Mendoza as the tunnel to Chile is closed for the weekend due to snow. I'm hoping that Portillo actually got some good snow and its not just the SA factor i've heard about. I guess I will get leftovers Mon. Farck! I guess I will find some sic Malbecs and enjoy.

greenbeans - can you find some good snow and touring up high? or is that all sunbaked as well.

Grrrr - I hope it snows. First time to SA...really like a Santa Rosa just before i'm there

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    greenbeans - can you find some good snow and touring up high? or is that all sunbaked as well.

Grrrr - I hope it snows. First time to SA...really like a Santa Rosa just before i'm there
    Yeah you can

Oh shit check snowforecast.com
    You have 50 degree temps coming end of week...sorry

Can somebody explain how the described 250cm of fresh during the last dump in LL translate to a reported snow depth of only ~80cm, even right after the snowfall?

Attachment 140270
    BEAUTIFUL man...

+5 for not using shitty rap or something similarly terrible. The music completely enhanced the video...

And yes, I remember my first torchlight parade @ Portillo...ended up with blue paint on my helmet from the old Plateau chair being slammed down on me in the dark, and a glove that probably still reeks of torch fuel.

And I loved it

otnavuskire - Beautiful edit! I was there the week before you, and we probably crossed paths checking in/out on the 10th. Probably the most epic of my three trips there thanks to a perfectly timed midweek dump. Glad to see you got a POV on the torchlight too - just an amazing experience (and one that probably wouldn't fly at most places in the US!).

Attachment 140270

Anyone in Las Leñas right now? how are the conditions? Sitting in Bariloche with the entire top of the Mtn closed due to high winds, forecast doesn't look promising. Lagunas was skiing pretty good yesterday.