Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Just left lenas, the snow is only good up high in some places and you'll need someone to show you where if you dont know the place. I am actually sitting in san rafael, headed back to bariloche in a few minutes. Looks like some unfortunate weather coming through in the next few days, but if it turns in our favor and anyone wants to hit up some sidecountry, let me know

Took 3 days to get to Portillo. Group of friends here. Heli drops manana.
    surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    My week of skiing POW in Portillo!

Attachment 140270
    Very nice! Good work man!

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Use lifts, avoid forest.

frey is the only one that is manned. it is nice and comfortable.
    jacob and laguna negra are left at least partially unlocked to provide emergency shelter so you can get in and have a winter room type deal.
    lopez is locked.
    listen to klar

Quote Originally Posted by af403 View Post
    Anyone in Las Leñas right now? how are the conditions? Sitting in Bariloche with the entire top of the Mtn closed due to high winds, forecast doesn't look promising. Lagunas was skiing pretty good yesterday.
    just hike from the highest lift if they have freshies. it's worth it.

or skin to frey and chill and lap the lagoon lines there. if there is snow, given travel times in SA, i recommended staying put.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    You already got info on the backcountry. Yeah, the forest is the pits to bushwack out of.

I've stayed at this Hostel both times I've been through Bariloche. It is pretty central...a short walk from the public transit to Cerro Catedral. Owned by a Kiwi snowboarder. Great staff. Great guests (during my visits). I've bumped into a few maggots.

http://hostel41below.com/
    a second for 41 Below. good guests, great staff, small, chill. one block from Bari->Catedral bus stop. ran into numerous mags when i was there a few years ago (including Mad Pat i think briefly)

any recomendations on somewhat ski/ snowboard related hostels in ushuaia? thinking about chasing the cold air down there with warm temps setting in up north

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner88 View Post
    any recomendations on somewhat ski/ snowboard related hostels in ushuaia? thinking about chasing the cold air down there with warm temps setting in up north

Antartica hostel or i perfer Yakush

Also Cruz del sur I've seen is okay

Snow was still great up high in Portillo yesterday. Of course we needed a little help getting up there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-27 13.26.31.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	881.5 KB 
ID:	140623
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-27 11.50.01.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	140624

Here we come!

Alyssa (rippin' rider and Patroller from Keystone) and myself arrive in Santiago this Friday. We plan to get our legs under us messing around at Tres Valles Saturday and Sunday, before catching a bus south to Nevados de Chillan on Monday. Anyone want to meet up for some good times and adventures?

We are staying at Blue Tambo in Farellones this weekend, and then at the Chil'in Hostal next week. After that Alyssa heads back to the US and I'm chasing snow for a month. Would be awesome to catch up with some mags!

Brennan
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    BEAUTIFUL man...

+5 for not using shitty rap or something similarly terrible. The music completely enhanced the video...

And yes, I remember my first torchlight parade @ Portillo...ended up with blue paint on my helmet from the old Plateau chair being slammed down on me in the dark, and a glove that probably still reeks of torch fuel.

And I loved it
    Thanks! I had that song stuck in my head for like two weeks before heading down there. I knew I was going to use it in an edit. It was even playing in my head as I skied those lines!

Any advice from those that have been before? In Santiago and can do whatever I want. I'm ready to hop a bus ti Chillan based on the forecast.
    Thoughts. Wow what fckn summer.
    Gracias

Chillan. Just do it. Stay at a place called Hostal Riding in las trancas. Try to take the early bus to Chillan so you don't have to pay the transfer to las trancas (30 Lucas). The bus goes every day but never at night. Shoot me a pm if you want to know about some good touring spots out there.

Quote Originally Posted by looseofforangejuice View Post
    a second for 41 Below. good guests, great staff, small, chill. one block from Bari->Catedral bus stop. ran into numerous mags when i was there a few years ago (including Mad Pat i think briefly)
    I liked the FREESTYLE hostel when I stayed there. The staff was friendly and the beer was pretty feckin' cheap!

Yo Maggots in SA! I'm in Chile right now, currently TEMUCO trying to figure out where to go next. Thinking Antillanca or maybe even Cerro Bayo depending on what this storm does. But I wanted to let you guys know about this awesome event going on down here September 13-16 in PUCON.

Name:	DSC_8242.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	140713

Avalancha en el Volcán (September 13-16) is an individually-timed race from the crater of Villarrica volcano in southern Chile. Riders must pass through several flagged gates on the 3,000-plus vertical descent of the notoriously active (read: smoking, belching, glowing) volcano. In its third year, Avalancha en el Volcán also features backcountry films, Chilean asados, and of course, a huge party to celebrate the South American winter season.

So you can hike up in group and then shred down individually from the crater of the volcano! Chopo Diaz currently holds the record at 3:12. the first year I did it my time was like 7:46 and I thought my legs were going to explode. It's about 3,000+ vertical feet. It's a super fun event, 3rd year it's happening. Great times! Let me know if you're interested, as I know the organizers and can get you a discount for entrance. xo Clarnitty Gritty

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	140712

Name:	DSC_8122.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	140714

heading to lenas on friday...glad they just closed 1/2 the runs. Looks like all the powder skis are staying home.

picked the wrong year to head to SA for the first time....

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjames View Post
    Antartica hostel or i perfer Yakush

Also Cruz del sur I've seen is okay
    I guess I quoted the wrong reply, USHUAIA hostel choice for me is FREESTYLE

Does anybody know if Las Lenas has a cancellation policy, or if I can get a refund? I sent them a couple of emails but have not heard back from them.

My buddy and I are thinking of heading to Portillo instead as it is open and snowing.

I was in Portilllo last week and it was getting a bit thin there as well....except for the hell skiing up high. Lindsay is there though.

I took a shot and headed south from Santiago to Chillan last night. The forecast is showing a combo of rain and snow for most resorts with very warm temps this weekend. I may have muffed it as Valle Nevado is now forecast for for about a foot and is much higher than Chillan. We will see.

I've been very lucky hitting the storms at Bariloche then a huge Las Lenas dump followed by 41cm of fresh at Portillo. I've seen everything from sweet pow to boilerplate to spring corn trench carving to slush. It's been a crap shoot. The forecasts down here leave much to be desired. They are accurate on their 24 hr forecast.

Yo MOGB. Alyssa (patroller friend from Keystone) and myself are catching the 850 train to Chillan manana. Where are you staying? We are feeling the same sense of hope that the storm comes in as cold as possible. Lets get out and make some turns, or spend a down day getting hammered.
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    heading to lenas on friday...glad they just closed 1/2 the runs. Looks like all the powder skis are staying home.

picked the wrong year to head to SA for the first time....
    I'm in the same boat here, but planned for a few days in BA as well so I'm just going to go, ski whatever they've got, and enjoy some steak and wine on the back end. If you end up sticking with the Lenas plan, hit me up, I'll be there from the 7th til the 14th (and BA til the 18th).
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

speedfreak,

my buddy and I changed our plan slightly and are going to go to Portillo from the 6-9th and then probaby make our way around and possibly to lenas since we booked it.

I will PM you if we make it there.

Lots of rain and wind in Las Trancas. I'm hoping for good way up top when this breaks. Only went out once so far here and only 1 low chair open. Did some laps, got bored and proceeded to get tourqued on whisky with a local. He later blew chunks all over one of the hotel lobby bars to the horror of the tourists.....golden. Hey KB i'm at the Chil-in. I'm going to go peek at the mountain about 9:30 mañana. Bright Yellowish/orange west comb, black pants.

Hey Bblaster, LL is forecast for half a foot or so up top fri, You may have lucked out. That Marte chair accesses so much its ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by masterofgreenbeans View Post
    Lots of rain and wind in Las Trancas. I'm hoping for good way up top when this breaks. Only went out once so far here and only 1 low chair open. Did some laps, got bored and proceeded to get tourqued on whisky with a local. He later blew chunks all over one of the hotel lobby bars to the horror of the tourists.....golden. Hey KB i'm at the Chil-in. I'm going to go peek at the mountain about 9:30 mañana. Bright Yellowish/orange west comb, black pants.
    Thanks for the conditions report, and the hotel lobby report too! Classic!!!! I'm in Pucon just groundhog day'ing it. Damn the pisco. Been watching the rain at Chillan...looks like it's getting cold everywhere next week!! C