Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where do you carry your water bottle?

I've been considering switching from wearing a hydration pack to using a large water bottle for backcountry skiing after hearing horror stories about bladders leaking in the backpack. My main concern about using a water bottle is where or how to carry a 1 to 1.5 liter bottle. It seems like a pain to take it out of the backpack while touring. I read that some people put it on the side pockets of the backpack, but that wouldn't work when you're carrying your skis or splitboard on your back.

How do others carry their water bottles? If you think I should stick to hydration packs, what do you recommend?

Put it in your rectum.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Get two half liter bottles, they carry way better, and you can use one for sport drink and one for water.

If you're touring in cold weather, a wide mouth bottle (ie: nalgene) is less likely to freeze on you than a water bladder hose.

I've literally walked across the country with a water bladder in my pack without any leaks. If you suffer frequent leaks, you're doing it wrong.

I use a bladder from May to September. (I'm talking about the months of the year, not the metaphor in the song.) I've got the bladder thing figured out, use a DIY bladder sleeve, never a leak.

October to April I drink less and avoid freezing bladder tubes and bite valves, so I carry bottles. If you want something you can get to quick, try the tried and true dirtbag method: duck tape a toy carabiner to a large bicycle water bottle and clip the biner to the very bottom of your pack's shoulder strap. It should slide down to near your hip belt and find a place to nestle. Experiment with placement of the biner, clipping and retrieval method. Works very well once you get it down.

get a pack that has a sleeve on the shoulder strap to store the tube, then put a neoprene sleeve on the tube as well. The only thing that should ice up is the bite valve, and worst case scenario you just give it a little bite, and the ice will clear.

Like was said previously.....Leaks are user error.
    Training for Alpental

Put hot water in the bottle before you leave home. Put the bottle pretty much anywhere you want. I use a bladder most of the time and you just have to remember to blow air in the tube when you are done drinking each drink. I've never had a leak but I don't sit on pack at lunch breaks either.

I have had a Camelbak Unbottle for 10 years. Never leaked as long as I made sure the mouth wasn't cross threaded.

Neoprene sleeving and "winter" water hose kits all suck and are worthless.

The only thing I have found that works is to blow back the water out of the hose and shove the mouthpiece into the collar of your jacket so it doesn't freeze. In addition to the bite valve, you should have a twist valve on the mouthpiece as the bite valves can sometimes leak air.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    get a pack that has a sleeve on the shoulder strap to store the tube, then put a neoprene sleeve on the tube as well.
    AKA one of these:
    http://www.backcountry.com/platypus-...dration-system
    Been using it for a couple years now, no leaks no problems. Bite valve only ices up if I don't blow excess liquid out of it after drinking. Both tube and bladder neoprene are removable, independently.

(PS the quick release fitting between the tube and bladder is awesome. Outlet from my Katadyn filter plugs in and locks while pumping. No more pumping with one hand while holding the outlet in the bag with the other!)

I only had a leak once. In the days of skins with tip stretchy things, I fell on my back once yanking my skins with the skis still on. The hose blew off the bladder and soaked everything. More a problem than wet stuff was having an empty camelback bladder for the rest of the day on a long tour at the Fairy Meadow hut.

I still use bladders for almost all my touring. If it is bitter cold I will use bottles. I often have a hot thermos, which works well for melting frozen bit valves and tubes.

I switched to just using a water bottle after having bad luck with bladders. Got one of these from OR

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or...e-tote-1l.html

Lets you attach it anywhere on the pack. Then I just toss the water bottle inside the pack for the descent

I store a bottle in the top pouch of my pack. It kind of sucks to have to take off my pack to have a drink of water, so I try to time my water consumption around transitions, piss breaks, etc. One advantage is that I can scoop some snow into the bottle every time I use it and thus make a single bottle go a lot further with less weight than a camelback system. Anyhow, the system works although there are certainly times I wish I could have the easier access of a camelback.

Platypus container inside my jacket.
    watch out for snakes

Vapur Flexible 2 Pack Set Water Anti-Bottle
    This cool water pouch deflates and rolls up for easy storage when you’re done drinking.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...283/page2.html

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know...

I've never felt the need to use anything other than a water bottle in my pack. I drink plenty at breakfast, and take care to set off slightly under dressed. During the day I keep an eye on my layers and make sure I strip off if I'm getting too warm.

By starting out well hydrated and managing my sweat output I just don't need to drink that often. A water bottle in my pack works fine.

As a back up to this I check the colour of my urine while I'm out skiing.

2 bike bottles. put one in an inside pocket of your jacket you wear climbing. keeps it warm, quick access. makes you look fat so you have an excuse for being slow. Keep the water level high by adding snow. I guess if it's too warm to wear a jacket, then use one of the shoulder strap bottle holders.

Funny, everybody I tour with has a little bitty thermos and a second small water bottle or platypus. People drink at transitions, no rush. Doesn't sound like the official TGR approach but works for me.

Friends don't let friends have water bottles dangling from their packs..... it's almost as bad a style foul as wearing gaiters over ski boots. (or the equal and reverse crime of pants that don't fit over your boot cuffs) or worst of all......l the baseball cap with neck flap sun protector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What I do--
    Winter: 1.5L nalgene
    Summer: 1L nalgene; add snow to taste throughout the day.
    I store inside the pack, in the main pouch with everything else, and drink every 1-1.5 hr at a standing break (or at transitions when I'm yo-yo'ing.)

People I tour with do all sorts of different stuff though, from the dangly waterbottle parka to the DIY weather-resist sleeve over an MSR hydromedary hose. I think this is called "personal preference..."
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

I keep my bottle in my pack, just kinda hangs out on top of my shit. I don't really use poles so its convenient for me to just unsling my pack and grab the bottle while moving.

Most of the time I just stop to take a drink, I prefer the bottle because you can monitor your H2O usage better than the bladder. When I've used my bladder I tend to drink all my water too fast because it's so convenient, when its a pain in the ass you only drink when you need to.

I like the convenience of a hydration bladder for sipping while skinning. If you're worried about leaking, get an MSR Hydromedary or a Dromedary + hose. Things are bomber. You'll probably be long dead before it leaks.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Awesome, thanks for all the tips! I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    I switched to just using a water bottle after having bad luck with bladders. Got one of these from OR

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or...e-tote-1l.html

Lets you attach it anywhere on the pack. Then I just toss the water bottle inside the pack for the descent
    I used one of these on the pack hip belt last week, it gives quick acess to the nalgene, it doesn't really get in the way going up or down and you can put liner gloves or other stuff in it

I make it a habit to check thermos or nalgene for leaks by turning them upside down cuz I have forgotten to push the button on thermos stoppers, this winter a buddy had a water leak in his pack in his car and the water shorted out his beacon ... expensive leak
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I duct tape some thin webbing on the bottle, then hang it with a carabiner from a loop on my pack belt.
    light and really easy to take off or put back on even with gloves on.
    use a bottle, so i can refill out with snow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums