need some boot fitting advice

So I have a pretty stubborn issue with my boots. No matter how narrow I go (93mm last, which takes tons of punch and grind to work) or what brand of boot I get, eventually I pack out too much area around my ankle, and my ankles start to roll to the outside in my boot. As you can imagine, this really sucks balls, and its really starting to hold things back. Even intuitions eventually have this issue.

It doesn't seem to be as bad with boots that have a neutral cant, but even then its still an issue.

Will a custom shell boot (Fischer or Salomon) properly address this issue? Or should I be looking at an injected liner or something? I put a bunch of boot foam in my head raptors, and that helped a little, but I want something a bit more permanent.

Also, from a material quality and longevity perspective, how does TGR like the Custom Shell boots?

P.S. I have properly sized boots, and custom footbeds.

have you tried ZipFits?

I used a set of World Cup model for about 300 days without packout.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    have you tried ZipFits?

I used a set of World Cup model for about 300 days without packout.
    Do zipfits have super expanding/hardening thermoform material? If Intuitions won't fill in the gaps in a semi-plug boot, I don't know if Zipfits will do any better.

the boots pack out, after how many days? If the shell fit is right, I find that most liners last for 100-200 days.

Foam will fill in the extra space, and lasts 300-600 days? just make sure that the person doing the foam has done a lot. Its easy to fuck up

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    the boots pack out, after how many days? If the shell fit is right, I find that most liners last for 100-200 days.

Foam will fill in the extra space, and lasts 300-600 days? just make sure that the person doing the foam has done a lot. Its easy to fuck up
    Regardless of liner type, I get ankle movement after about 2 days in the boot. The foam definitely helped, but I was wondering if there was something that might work better. Guess I will give that a try again when I get new boots (and not do it myself like last time).

any opinions on the custom shells?

Zipfit lasts way longer than Intuition. Based on what you are experiencing I definitely say Zipfit (world cup model) is a must try.
    1. They dont pack out (like literally after 300 days they are still good)
    2. The cork inside the liner still moves around while you are skiing - even after your initial thermo adjustment - which would help address the issue you are experiencing.
    3. They can add/inject more cork inside the liner at any time after you purchase it if you find that necessary.
    Till few months ago I had a major boot problem and I literally tried everything. I have a very low volume heel pocket and about 99 mm last. I purchased the Zipfit world cup model and I'm amazed how it holds my ankle down and doesn't allow it to move around without experiencing any pain. Performance wise, i don't even know where to begin; lets just say they fuckin rock.
    Only thing is that they are expensive ($450 including tax) so you definitely gotta go to a reputable boot fitter (not a shark who would stiff you) and have them put you in one and do some shell adjustment so it works.
    I definitely recommend Chris (O.C) at Inkline in SLC. Trust me it's worth a trip to go there.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using TGR Forums

I've had similar problems for years, and also found that foam mod fixes only last one or two days.
    I don't think a narrower last will fix it, as the last width is usually more related to the forefoot (I think).
    I recently switched to a 3-piece boot (and intuitions) with a 45deg buckle which pulls back and down on the ankle, locking it in the heel pocket. It made a HUGE difference for me and pretty much solved all of my ongoing heel slop issues. In fact, I can now ski harder with my boots buckled looser if I want. Another bonus is that they feel way smoother and much better lateral power transfer.

Try a 3-piece boot. It might solve your problem.

A narrow last doesn't necessarily mean a narrow heel pocket. Last refers to the width of the forefoot. Having said that, you might wanna stay away from Technica Cochise and try Lange Rx LV and some Dalbello models. They usually come with tighter heel pocket, but if you have a very low volume ankle area, you will def still need a really good liner that doesn't pack out

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    I've had similar problems for years, and also found that foam mod fixes only last one or two days.
    I don't think a narrower last will fix it, as the last width is usually more related to the forefoot (I think).
    I recently switched to a 3-piece boot (and intuitions) with a 45deg buckle which pulls back and down on the ankle, locking it in the heel pocket. It made a HUGE difference for me and pretty much solved all of my ongoing heel slop issues. In fact, I can now ski harder with my boots buckled looser if I want. Another bonus is that they feel way smoother and much better lateral power transfer.

Try a 3-piece boot. It might solve your problem.
    Its not forward movement of the ankle, it rolls to the outside. I don't have much of a problem with heel retention, just the rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkla52 View Post
    A narrow last doesn't necessarily mean a narrow heel pocket. Last refers to the width of the forefoot. Having said that, you might wanna stay away from Technica Cochise and try Lange Rx LV and some Dalbello models. They usually come with tighter heel pocket, but if you have a very low volume ankle area, you will def still need a really good liner that doesn't pack out

I had the RX a couple years ago, but they sent me the regular width instead of the LV, and I had to return them, and then they were sold out of my size for the LV. I definitely liked them though. Probably the best fit of any boot I have owned yet.

Zipfit lasts way longer than Intuition. Based on what you are experiencing I definitely say Zipfit (world cup model) is a must try.
    1. They dont pack out (like literally after 300 days they are still good)
    2. The cork inside the liner still moves around while you are skiing - even after your initial thermo adjustment - which would help address the issue you are experiencing.
    3. They can add/inject more cork inside the liner at any time after you purchase it if you find that necessary.
    Till few months ago I had a major boot problem and I literally tried everything. I have a very low volume heel pocket and about 99 mm last. I purchased the Zipfit world cup model and I'm amazed how it holds my ankle down and doesn't allow it to move around without experiencing any pain. Performance wise, i don't even know where to begin; lets just say they fuckin rock.
    Only thing is that they are expensive ($450 including tax) so you definitely gotta go to a reputable boot fitter (not a shark who would stiff you) and have them put you in one and do some shell adjustment so it works.
    I definitely recommend Chris (O.C) at Inkline in SLC. Trust me it's worth a trip to go there.

for that price I can buy two pairs of boots! And I have heard Zipfits aren't warm, and I frequently ski at -20F. I think I will stick to intuitions and boot modding.

If you ski in such temperature then I see your point. What I would do is get the Lange RX in lv. Trust me it makes a difference. Then def do some shell fitting on it BUT you gotta go to someone who knows what they are doing.
    Bottom line is you need a low volume heel pocket shell and I definitely recommend getting some foot beds as well

If you ski in such temperature then I see your point. What I would do is get the Lange RX in lv. Trust me it makes a difference. Then def do some shell fitting on it BUT you gotta go to someone who knows what they are doing.
    Bottom line is you need a low volume heel pocket shell and I definitely recommend getting some foot beds as well

I was planning on seeing Stephen in Jackson, or going back to WA and talking to Jim Mates.

Where do you regularly ski at -20F?
    How do boots pack out in 2 days if properly fit in the first place?
    How much trolling can Climber Joe do in one thread?

Sounds like massive pronation with uberskinny feet, ankles, lower legs matched to a boot that is high-volume despite claims that it's a plug modded to your anatomic weirdnesses. Who modded the plug, who chose the plug, who is assessing your fit? Who analyzed your foot posture (pronate, neutral, supinate) and your activity inside the boot?

If Climber Joe is paid to ski, a ZipFit won't cost him $450, more like half that, and probably much closer to his cost for a PowerWrap.

ZipFit can be ordered with a fat, firm tongue to shove the foot into the heel pocket, and can get extra flow material injected in the medial/lateral bladders.

It's only "cold" if it doesn't fit, or if your foot is "cold" no matter what you do, like on a sunny beach at 95F.

I'm in PowerWraps this season (in a new boot as well) after 6 seasons in a ZipFit. The heel/ankle hold is adequate but not as precise as the ZipFit. More like a luxury sedan vs a barely-street-legal street surgeon.

$.01 guess...(much of previous stuff is great)...If your ankles are flopping around it's your footbeds that are failing! Think any rolling around by the foot causing constriction contributes much more to loss of circulation than the failing of the liner.
    $.01
    Last edited by steved; 04-09-2013 at 11:23 AM.