Quick review Salmon Q115

Out of curiosity I was one day on the new Salomon Q115 in the length 188 cm in the Arlberg area, Austria. Salomon launches it obviously as the successor of the Rocker 2 115. Me: 85 kg, 185, big mountain charger type of skier. The ski has a nice low profile early rise tip rocker and a small amount of very subtle tail rocker. It was mounted with a Jester at "Recommended" line.
    I did first a few laps on groomers. The ski is very lively and fun as long as you keep it on the edge. There is a significant amount of tip chatter if you run the bases flat at high speed. The ski starts then to get nervous and it requires some power to keep it under control.
    We did then some hikes to do some serious big mountain style lines. In this kind of terrain with variable snow (powder, tracked out powder, hardpack), the disappointment just started. The ski didn't provide a confident platform for this kind of skiing. Going down the fall line at high speed felt quite sketchy. The landings of cliff drops in between were not as stable as I'd liked. It was kind of "wow, what a nice line but I fear to go down at full throttle because I don' trust my ski" feeling. Psychologically not good at all.
    And then again - cruising down in the resort some fun again.
    In summary: I do not get it, why Salomon stopped to make serious bm skis like the El Dictator. For me, the Q115 comes not even close to the stability of a true charger. As a bm platform, it can be recommended maybe for lighter guys and certainly for girls.
    Final remark: the mounting position felt very centered. I would rather like to had it moved 1 or 2 cm back.

Look how well the Dictator sold... (not at all)

The type of skier that pays for a badass ski, also wants badass construction. That certainly doesn't come from Salomon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Look how well the Dictator sold... (not at all)

The type of skier that pays for a badass ski, also wants badass construction. That certainly doesn't come from Salomon.
    Totally agree. Salomon is after all the company that brought us the X-Scream, Teneighty, and Pocket Rocket. Great and innovative skis in their own account which certainly have mass appeal. Never a real bad-ass charger in the mix. Not sure how anyone would think that was ever in the game plan.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

When I skied the Rocker 115 I really enjoyed it. I am a touch taller, but a similar weight. I think it was a good compromise between being solid enough to track through choppy snow, but soft enough to be playful and fun. I would certainly agree it is not a traditional big mountain charger ski though.

Quote Originally Posted by another skier View Post
    When I skied the Rocker 115 I really enjoyed it.
    The Quest 115 is a lightweight, "backcountry oriented" version of the Rocker 115. Different construction, different ingredients, different ski.

I am pretty sure they are the same ski. I may be wrong, but I have heard it from a number of people. My understanding is that the Quest range is all based on the rocker profile of the R115 from this year, and they are just separating the more directional skis from the more freestyle orientated Rocker series.

If they are just moving towards having a lightweight back-country range, and a more freestyle range it would seem to leave a large gap in their line up. I could imagine it being an issue for some of their skiers like Kaj and Cody.

Rocker 2 115 is acclaimed as a "chargy" ski, here in the forum as well as in some magazine reviews. So I don't get really the story behind Q115. The guy in the shop told me, Q115 is even stiffer then Rocker 2. The shape looks definitely more directional and less playful than in Rocker 2.
    Another note: during my day on Q115 I hit twice a rock, and this not even really hard. From that I got two core shots. In my other skis, core shots happens after a truly heavy hit. The bases seems to be pretty soft, alas.

I spoke with the solly rep Saturday at the alta demo day... I had read about the R2 115 being an all mountain charger... Someone on here even compares it to the 188 RC 112. He said the Q115 replaced the R2 115 and was unchanged. As mentioned above, they simply split the line between directional and true twins. The snow was shit Saturday and I only took them for 2 runs, but I have to be honest, that was enough. I would never find myself reaching for these over my 191 billy goat (not that I have found a ski that I would choose over it). They were a bit playful in the soft but went to shit after that. Tries peggin my shins and driving them and they wanted to go all over the damn place. Deflecting all over. While I'm on it... I rode the 186 automatic 2 runs as well (193 was out on the mountain) and wasn't a fan of it either. Was hoping for more. My favorite ski there was the 191 ON3P Wrenegade... Holy shit that thing rails and blows through everything on the mountain!!! Inspires some serious confidence. I'm 6'1 190 and consider myself a decent skier.
    Last edited by OldSchool1080s; 04-09-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    I spoke with the solly rep Saturday at the alta demo day... I had read about the R2 115 being an all mountain charger... Someone on here even compares it to the 188 RC 112. He said the Q115 replaced the R2 115 and was unchanged. As mentioned above, they simply split the line between directional and true twins. The snow was shit Saturday and I only took them for 2 runs, but I have to be honest, that was enough. I would never find myself reaching for these over my 191 billy goat (not that I have found a ski that I would choose over it). They were a bit playful in the soft but went to shit after that. Tries peggin my shins and driving them and they wanted to go all over the damn place. Deflecting all over. While I'm on it... I rode the 186 automatic 2 runs as well (193 was out on the mountain) and wasn't a fan of it either. Was hoping for more. My favorite ski there was the 191 e renegade... Holy shit that thing rails and blows through everything on the mountain!!! Inspires some serious confidence. I'm 6'1 190 and consider myself a decent skier.
    What the hell is an e-renegade? Is that like being an e-pro?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    I rode the 186 automatic 2 runs as well
    How did you find the 2 compared (Q115 and Automatic)? Obviously you did not like either, but did you find them equally weak for what you wanted, or did one have a bit more backbone than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What the hell is an e-renegade? Is that like being an e-pro?
    Stupid phone.. I'm talking the 191 ON3P Wrenegade...

Quote Originally Posted by another skier View Post
    How did you find the 2 compared (Q115 and Automatic)? Obviously you did not like either, but did you find them equally weak for what you wanted, or did one have a bit more backbone than the other?
    I would likely tip the hat to the Q115.. then again the 193 Automatic may have been more what I was looking for. My guess is I would actually like the 192 Atlas but the rep didn't bring that to the demo.